|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days has it been since Pollard and Hendricks have lost sight of Chase's boat in the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Mercury.
(b) New Bedford Community News.
(c) New Bedford Gazette.
(d) New Bedford Standard Times.
3. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
(a) The morning of December 10.
(b) The night of December 10.
(c) The night of December 9.
(d) The morning of December 9.
4. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Birds and crabs.
(b) Only birds.
(c) Only crabs.
(d) Neither birds nor crabs.
5. In what year does the story take place in?
Short Answer Questions
1. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
2. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
3. After being rescued by the Dauphin, how many captains join Pollard for dinner at the end of Chapter 12?
4. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
5. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)