|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
3. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
(b) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(c) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(d) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
4. How many days worth of food does Chase's boat have at the start of Chapter 12?
5. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
(a) Less than a minute.
(b) Three minutes.
(c) One minute.
(d) Five minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
2. Unknown to the crew in Chapter 9, how many miles away from the island is a community with food and water?
3. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
4. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
5. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)