|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
2. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, big, and lucky.
(b) New, small, and lucky.
(c) Old, big, and lucky.
(d) Old, small, and lucky.
3. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) The men on the ship.
(b) A flag.
(c) A fire.
(d) The bones on the ship.
4. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three months.
5. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) January 29.
(b) February 2.
(c) February 1.
(d) January 28.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
2. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
3. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
4. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
5. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)