|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
(a) Because of the wind direction.
(b) Because of the waves around the islands.
(c) Because of the uncertainty of how to get back to them.
(d) Because of the distance.
2. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
3. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(b) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(c) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(d) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
4. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(b) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
(c) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
(d) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
5. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Eight slices of cheese.
(b) Six slices of bread.
(c) Six slices of cheese.
(d) Eight slices of bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. Contrary to what the men think, what island are they actually on in Chapter 9?
2. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
3. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
4. What type of rock produces a spring for the men on December 22?
5. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)