|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
(a) They build bigger sails for the boats.
(b) They build up the sides of each boat.
(c) They put covers on the tops of the boats.
(d) They put weights on each end of the boats to minimize their movement.
2. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(b) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(c) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(d) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
3. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They sailed past South America.
(b) They are sailing parallel to South America.
(c) They are very close to South America.
(d) They are sailing towards South America.
4. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 16.
(b) December 18.
(c) December 19.
(d) December 17.
5. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) September 12.
(b) October 2.
(c) October 22.
(d) September 22.
Short Answer Questions
1. What island do the men initially think they have found in the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. What does Chase do as Nickerson and Lawrence prepare to bury Cole?
3. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
4. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
5. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)