|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(b) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(c) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(d) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
2. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Neither birds nor crabs.
(b) Birds and crabs.
(c) Only birds.
(d) Only crabs.
3. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
4. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He refuses to listen to it.
(b) He thinks that it is a good idea.
(c) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(d) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
5. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One month.
(b) One hour.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it when Chapter 12 begins?
2. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
3. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
4. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
5. On what day does Pollard reach St. Mary's Island?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)