|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
2. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
3. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
(a) Off the coast of Peru.
(b) Off the coast of Colombia.
(c) Off the coast of Uruguay.
(d) Off the coast of Argentina.
4. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
(b) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(c) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
(d) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
5. How far way is the sail when Lawrence sees it in Chapter 12?
(a) Seven miles.
(b) Three miles.
(c) Nine miles.
(d) Five miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
2. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
3. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
4. Why does Pollard choose the Society Islands as the crew's destination?
5. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)