|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One hour.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
2. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
(a) Fifteen hundred miles.
(b) Two thousand miles.
(c) Twenty five hundred miles.
(d) One thousand miles.
3. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
4. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(b) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(c) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(d) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
5. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
2. Whose boat had the least amount of people in it as the crew divides for its trip in Chapter 6?
3. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
4. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
5. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)