|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(b) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(c) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(d) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
2. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Six slices of bread.
(b) Eight slices of bread.
(c) Six slices of cheese.
(d) Eight slices of cheese.
3. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
(b) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
(c) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
(d) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than nine.
(b) More than ten.
(c) More than eleven.
(d) Less than nine.
5. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
(a) Off the coast of Uruguay.
(b) Off the coast of Peru.
(c) Off the coast of Argentina.
(d) Off the coast of Colombia.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
2. How much can sperm whales weigh?
3. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
4. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
5. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)