|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Livestock and weapons.
(b) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(c) Vegetables and livestock.
(d) Vegetables and weapons.
2. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred and fifty dollars.
3. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Community News.
(b) New Bedford Mercury.
(c) New Bedford Gazette.
(d) New Bedford Standard Times.
4. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Six thousand people.
(b) Seven thousand people.
(c) Eight thousand people.
(d) Five thousand people.
5. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) Something unusual is going to happen.
(b) There will be good weather for the next year.
(c) Something horrible is going to happen.
(d) There will be good weather for the next month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
2. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
3. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
4. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
5. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)