|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
2. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
(a) Blue whale.
(b) Sperm whale.
(c) Killer whale.
(d) Humpback whale.
3. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) February 1.
(b) February 2.
(c) January 28.
(d) January 29.
4. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Gazette.
(b) New Bedford Mercury.
(c) New Bedford Community News.
(d) New Bedford Standard Times.
5. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
Short Answer Questions
1. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
2. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
3. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
4. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
5. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)