|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Cole die?
(a) February 9.
(b) February 8.
(c) February 10.
(d) February 7.
2. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket pull through.
(b) Nantucket drag along.
(c) Nantucket speeder.
(d) Nantucket sleigh ride.
3. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
(b) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(c) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
(d) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
4. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
5. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 17.
(b) December 18.
(c) December 16.
(d) December 19.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
2. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
3. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Joy request to be transferred to the captain's boat when he is close to dying?
5. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)