|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is it when Chapter 12 begins?
2. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(b) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(c) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(d) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
3. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They are proud.
(c) They are amused.
(d) They are angry.
4. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
(a) He writes a letter to his wife.
(b) He begins collecting rocks.
(c) He writes a letter to the captain of another ship.
(d) He begins collecting nuts and berries.
5. What do the men begin losing on their first morning on the island?
(a) Their ability to see.
(b) Their sense of smell.
(c) Their ability to speak.
(d) Their sense of direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
2. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
3. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
4. How are sailors paid?
5. Which weapon does Pollard choose to keep for himself as Chapter 6 ends?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)