|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Less than five hundred.
(b) Over two thousand.
(c) Five hundred.
(d) Over a thousand.
2. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 17.
(b) December 16.
(c) December 18.
(d) December 19.
3. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
4. What do the men begin losing on their first morning on the island?
(a) Their ability to speak.
(b) Their ability to see.
(c) Their sense of smell.
(d) Their sense of direction.
5. What island do the men initially think they have found in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Pitcairn Island.
(b) Oeno Island.
(c) Ducie Island.
(d) Henderson Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
2. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
3. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
4. Whose boat had the least amount of people in it as the crew divides for its trip in Chapter 6?
5. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)