|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
(a) Thirty- four miles.
(b) Forty- two miles.
(c) Twenty- four miles.
(d) Forty- three miles.
2. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) An average amount.
(b) Very few.
3. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Twelve hundred pounds.
(b) Sixty tons.
(c) Twelve hundred tons.
(d) Six hundred pounds.
4. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
(b) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(c) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(d) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
5. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Pollard choose the Society Islands as the crew's destination?
3. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
4. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
5. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)