|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the men sleep during their first night on the island in Chapter 9?
(a) In their boats.
(b) In the forest.
(c) On the beach.
(d) On rocks.
2. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
(a) Twenty liters.
(b) Twenty gallons.
(c) Ten gallons.
(d) Ten liters.
3. What happens to Hendricks' boat on January 14?
(a) It starts leaking.
(b) It runs out of provisions.
(c) It catches fire.
(d) It capsizes.
4. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
(b) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
(c) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
(d) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
5. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
2. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
3. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
4. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
5. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)