|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is inspired.
(b) He is impressed.
(c) He is surprised.
(d) He is confused.
2. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
(a) Off the coast of Colombia.
(b) Off the coast of Argentina.
(c) Off the coast of Peru.
(d) Off the coast of Uruguay.
3. What animals are used as food to help the crew stay alive in Chapter 9?
(a) Only crabs.
(b) Birds and crabs.
(c) Only birds.
(d) Neither birds nor crabs.
4. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(b) The Cruel Sea.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) Treasure Island.
5. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Eight hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Two hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
2. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
3. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
4. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
5. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)