|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) Less than one hundred.
(b) At least four hundred.
(c) Less than two hundred.
(d) At least three hundred.
2. In what year does the story take place in?
3. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, big, and lucky.
(b) Old, small, and lucky.
(c) Old, big, and lucky.
(d) New, small, and lucky.
4. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
(a) Only Chase.
(b) Chase and Joy.
(c) No one.
(d) Only Joy.
5. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Thirty- eight years old.
(b) Thirty- four years old.
(c) Twenty- four years old.
(d) Twenty- eight years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
3. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
4. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
5. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)