|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) At night.
(b) In the late afternoon.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the morning.
2. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) Ten feet.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) One foot.
(d) One mile.
3. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
(a) He threatens to decrease the portions for anyone that has too much.
(b) He transfers them to his chest.
(c) He sleeps with a loaded pistol.
(d) He puts an arm or leg across them as he sleeps.
4. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
5. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Culpepper Island.
(b) Tower Island.
(c) Barrington Island.
(d) Hood Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
2. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
3. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
4. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
5. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)