|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pollard choose the Society Islands as the crew's destination?
(a) They are safer.
(b) He has been there before.
(c) He has friends that live there.
(d) They are closer.
2. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
(b) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
(c) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
(d) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
3. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
(a) Two nights.
(b) One night.
(c) Three nights.
(d) Four nights.
4. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
(a) One month.
(b) Three months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Four months.
5. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
(a) To settle on the island for a few days.
(b) To leave immediately.
(c) To settle on the island for a few weeks.
(d) To settle on the island permanently.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
2. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
3. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
4. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
5. What direction do the winds blow from in the trades for seventy percent of the year?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)