|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
(a) There is no stability when cutting up the whale blubber.
(b) It is difficult to raise the whale boats.
(c) It is difficult to lower the whale boats.
(d) Loss of direction.
2. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Fifty tons.
(c) Seventy tons.
(d) Eighty tons.
3. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Three days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five days.
4. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Eighteen years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
5. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
(a) To settle on the island for a few weeks.
(b) To settle on the island for a few days.
(c) To settle on the island permanently.
(d) To leave immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
2. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
3. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
4. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
5. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)