|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
(a) There are rumors that the inhabitants are cannibals.
(b) There are no supplies there.
(c) They are infested with insects.
(d) Many other sailors have disappeared there.
2. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One month.
(b) One hour.
(c) One week.
(d) One day.
3. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
(a) To settle on the island for a few weeks.
(b) To settle on the island for a few days.
(c) To leave immediately.
(d) To settle on the island permanently.
4. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) An oar.
(b) A lance.
(c) A knife.
(d) A harpoon.
5. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
2. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
3. After realizing they are too far south to reach Easter Island, how far away is the next group of islands?
4. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
5. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)