|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
2. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Smaller food portions.
(b) Less sleep time.
(c) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(d) More chores on the ship.
3. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are amused.
(b) They are angry.
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They are proud.
4. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
5. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
(a) Off the coast of Argentina.
(b) Off the coast of Colombia.
(c) Off the coast of Uruguay.
(d) Off the coast of Peru.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
2. Which weapon does Pollard choose to keep for himself as Chapter 6 ends?
3. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
4. How many men choose to stay on the island at the end of Chapter 9?
5. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)