|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
(b) It swims away.
(c) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
(d) It sits on top of the water.
2. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Mercury.
(b) New Bedford Gazette.
(c) New Bedford Community News.
(d) New Bedford Standard Times.
3. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
(a) The whale is wounded, but not killed.
(b) The whale drags the boat for several miles.
(c) The whale emerges underneath the boat.
(d) The whale outruns the boat.
4. How much water do the men collect on December 23?
(a) Ten liters.
(b) Ten gallons.
(c) Twenty liters.
(d) Twenty gallons.
5. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Fifty tons.
(b) Seventy tons.
(c) Eighty tons.
(d) Sixty tons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
2. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
3. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
4. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
5. Why is it difficult for the men to row in Chapter 8?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)