|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next year.
(b) Something unusual is going to happen.
(c) Something horrible is going to happen.
(d) There will be good weather for the next month.
2. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) October 22.
(b) October 2.
(c) September 12.
(d) September 22.
3. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is impressed.
(c) He is inspired.
(d) He is confused.
4. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
5. How long does Joy spend on the captain's boat before returning to his own boat and dying?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
2. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
3. In what year does the story take place in?
4. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
5. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)