|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Five thousand people.
(b) Six thousand people.
(c) Eight thousand people.
(d) Seven thousand people.
2. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Twenty- eight years old.
(b) Thirty- eight years old.
(c) Thirty- four years old.
(d) Twenty- four years old.
3. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
4. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
(a) Four months.
(b) Three months.
(c) One month.
(d) Two months.
5. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) One foot.
(c) Ten feet.
(d) One mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
2. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
3. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
4. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
5. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)