|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 5.
(b) August 15.
(c) August 5.
(d) July 15.
2. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
(a) They are infested with insects.
(b) There are no supplies there.
(c) There are rumors that the inhabitants are cannibals.
(d) Many other sailors have disappeared there.
3. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
4. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Two months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Five months.
(d) Three months.
5. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
2. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
3. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
4. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
5. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)