|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
2. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
(a) Twelve hundred miles.
(b) Twenty- two hundred miles.
(c) One thousand miles.
(d) Two thousand miles.
3. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
(b) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(c) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(d) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
4. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
5. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
(b) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
(c) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
(d) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
2. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
3. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
4. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
5. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)