|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) The Cruel Sea.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(d) Treasure Island.
2. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred and fifty dollars.
3. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
(a) They build bigger sails for the boats.
(b) They put weights on each end of the boats to minimize their movement.
(c) They build up the sides of each boat.
(d) They put covers on the tops of the boats.
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than nine.
(b) More than ten.
(c) Less than nine.
(d) More than eleven.
5. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Two hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
2. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
3. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
4. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
5. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)