|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Community News.
(b) New Bedford Standard Times.
(c) New Bedford Gazette.
(d) New Bedford Mercury.
2. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(b) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(c) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(d) The whale's tail hits the boat.
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(b) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
(c) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
(d) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
5. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Twelve hundred tons.
(b) Six hundred pounds.
(c) Twelve hundred pounds.
(d) Sixty tons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
3. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
4. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
5. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)