|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
(a) They are infested with insects.
(b) There are rumors that the inhabitants are cannibals.
(c) There are no supplies there.
(d) Many other sailors have disappeared there.
2. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One week.
(b) One hour.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
3. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Fifty tons.
(c) Seventy tons.
(d) Eighty tons.
4. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Gazette.
(b) New Bedford Community News.
(c) New Bedford Standard Times.
(d) New Bedford Mercury.
5. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(b) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(c) A mate and a boat steerer.
(d) A mate and oarsmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
2. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
3. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
4. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
5. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)