|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(b) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(c) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(d) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
2. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Twelve hundred pounds.
(c) Six hundred pounds.
(d) Twelve hundred tons.
3. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
4. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) A fire.
(b) A flag.
(c) The men on the ship.
(d) The bones on the ship.
5. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
(a) Several days.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
2. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
3. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
5. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)