|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
2. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is inspired.
(c) He is impressed.
(d) He is surprised.
3. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
4. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(b) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(c) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(d) The whale's tail hits the boat.
5. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(b) According to their rank.
(c) According to how many whales they have killed.
(d) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose boat had the least amount of people in it as the crew divides for its trip in Chapter 6?
2. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
3. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
4. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
5. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)