|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(b) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(c) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(d) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
2. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) The Cruel Sea.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. In what year does the story take place in?
5. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(b) Very few.
(d) An average amount.
Short Answer Questions
1. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
3. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
4. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)