|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
2. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
3. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Less than five hundred.
(b) Over two thousand.
(c) Over a thousand.
(d) Five hundred.
4. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(b) According to their rank.
(c) According to how many whales they have killed.
(d) According to their time at sea for each trip.
5. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
(b) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(c) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
(d) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
2. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
3. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
4. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
5. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)