|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
2. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
(b) He is told by a messenger.
(c) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(d) He receives a letter.
3. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Pollard choose the Society Islands as the crew's destination?
(a) They are closer.
(b) He has friends that live there.
(c) They are safer.
(d) He has been there before.
5. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
(a) Several hours.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several days.
Short Answer Questions
1. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
2. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
3. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
4. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
5. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)