|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
(b) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
(c) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
(d) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
2. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) More chores on the ship.
(b) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(c) Less sleep time.
(d) Smaller food portions.
3. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
4. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) On its back.
(b) On its side.
(c) Tail first.
(d) Head first.
5. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
(a) The whale outruns the boat.
(b) The whale emerges underneath the boat.
(c) The whale drags the boat for several miles.
(d) The whale is wounded, but not killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
2. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
3. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
4. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
5. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)