|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One month.
(b) One day.
(c) One hour.
(d) One week.
2. Whose boat had the least amount of people in it as the crew divides for its trip in Chapter 6?
(b) All of the boats had the same amount of people.
3. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is impressed.
(c) He is inspired.
(d) He is surprised.
4. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(b) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(c) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(d) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
5. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) October 2.
(b) September 22.
(c) October 22.
(d) September 12.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
2. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
3. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
4. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
5. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)