|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
2. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
(b) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(c) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
(d) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
3. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Chase and Joy.
(b) Only Chase.
(c) Only Joy.
(d) Nickerson and Joy.
4. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) Very few.
(d) An average amount.
5. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
2. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
3. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
4. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
5. Whose boat had the least amount of people in it as the crew divides for its trip in Chapter 6?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)