|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
2. What is the name of the newspaper that includes the article about the Marquesas before the ship sets sail from Nantucket?
(a) New Bedford Mercury.
(b) New Bedford Standard Times.
(c) New Bedford Gazette.
(d) New Bedford Community News.
3. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
4. How far away are the Marquesas from where the crew is in Chapter 6?
(a) One thousand miles.
(b) Two thousand miles.
(c) Twenty- two hundred miles.
(d) Twelve hundred miles.
5. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) The Cruel Sea.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) Treasure Island.
(d) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
2. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
3. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
4. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
5. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)