|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
(a) They build bigger sails for the boats.
(b) They put weights on each end of the boats to minimize their movement.
(c) They put covers on the tops of the boats.
(d) They build up the sides of each boat.
2. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Livestock and weapons.
(b) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(c) Vegetables and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and livestock.
3. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(b) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(c) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(d) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
4. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Eighteen years old.
(c) Fourteen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
5. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
2. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
3. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
5. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)