|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
2. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) An average amount.
(d) Very few.
3. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) A lance.
(b) An oar.
(c) A harpoon.
(d) A knife.
4. Who persuades Pollard to sail to Chile or Peru instead of the Society Islands?
(a) Only Joy.
(b) Only Chase.
(c) Chase and Joy.
(d) No one.
5. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
2. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
3. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
4. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
5. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)