|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
(a) If the boat was bigger.
(b) Nothing could have helped it.
(c) If the boat was smaller.
(d) If the boat was new.
2. Why is the crew concerned about the Marquesas?
(a) There are no supplies there.
(b) Many other sailors have disappeared there.
(c) There are rumors that the inhabitants are cannibals.
(d) They are infested with insects.
3. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
4. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
(a) The whale drags the boat for several miles.
(b) The whale is wounded, but not killed.
(c) The whale emerges underneath the boat.
(d) The whale outruns the boat.
5. How long does the crew of the Essex remain by the wrecked ship?
(a) Two nights.
(b) Three nights.
(c) One night.
(d) Four nights.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
2. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
3. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
4. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
5. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)