|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) Something horrible is going to happen.
(b) There will be good weather for the next year.
(c) Something unusual is going to happen.
(d) There will be good weather for the next month.
2. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(b) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(c) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(d) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
3. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
4. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
5. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He receives a letter.
(b) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(c) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
(d) He is told by a messenger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
2. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
3. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
4. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
5. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)