|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Over a thousand.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Less than five hundred.
(d) Over two thousand.
2. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket drag along.
(b) Nantucket speeder.
(c) Nantucket pull through.
(d) Nantucket sleigh ride.
3. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Culpepper Island.
(b) Tower Island.
(c) Barrington Island.
(d) Hood Island.
4. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) One foot.
(b) Ten feet.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) One mile.
5. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
2. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
3. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
4. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)