|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(b) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(c) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(d) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
2. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(d) The Cruel Sea.
3. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Over two thousand.
(b) Over a thousand.
(c) Less than five hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
4. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(b) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(c) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(d) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
5. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket pull through.
(b) Nantucket speeder.
(c) Nantucket drag along.
(d) Nantucket sleigh ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
2. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
3. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
4. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
5. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)