|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(c) Very few.
(d) An average amount.
2. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Nickerson and Joy.
(b) Only Joy.
(c) Only Chase.
(d) Chase and Joy.
3. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Five months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three months.
4. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
5. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
2. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
3. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
4. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
5. In what year does the story take place in?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)