|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(b) The Cruel Sea.
(c) Treasure Island.
(d) Moby Dick.
2. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
3. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) Less than nine.
(b) More than nine.
(c) More than ten.
(d) More than eleven.
4. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(b) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
(c) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(d) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
5. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
(a) Eight a.m.
(b) Six a.m.
(c) Nine a.m.
(d) Seven a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
2. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
3. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
4. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
5. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)