|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) October 2.
(b) September 22.
(c) October 22.
(d) September 12.
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are amused.
(b) They are embarrassed.
(c) They are proud.
(d) They are angry.
3. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than ten.
(b) Less than nine.
(c) More than eleven.
(d) More than nine.
5. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) One foot.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) One mile.
(d) Ten feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
2. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
3. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
4. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
5. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)