|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
(a) The whale is wounded, but not killed.
(b) The whale emerges underneath the boat.
(c) The whale outruns the boat.
(d) The whale drags the boat for several miles.
2. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
3. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is impressed.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is surprised.
(d) He is inspired.
4. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) This is his third whaling trip.
(b) He is a novice.
(c) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(d) He has over ten years of experience.
5. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
Short Answer Questions
1. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
2. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
3. In what year does the story take place in?
4. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
5. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)