|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(c) The Cruel Sea.
(d) Moby Dick.
2. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
(a) One minute.
(b) Less than a minute.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Three minutes.
3. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next year.
(b) Something horrible is going to happen.
(c) Something unusual is going to happen.
(d) There will be good weather for the next month.
4. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Five months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Four months.
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
(a) There is no stability when cutting up the whale blubber.
(b) It is difficult to lower the whale boats.
(c) Loss of direction.
(d) It is difficult to raise the whale boats.
Short Answer Questions
1. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
2. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
3. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
4. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
5. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)