|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(b) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
(c) After Buenos Aires.
(d) At Buenos Aires.
2. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Smaller food portions.
(b) Less sleep time.
(c) More chores on the ship.
(d) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
3. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Eighty tons.
(b) Sixty tons.
(c) Seventy tons.
(d) Fifty tons.
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
5. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Over two thousand.
(b) Less than five hundred.
(c) Over a thousand.
(d) Five hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
3. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
4. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
5. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)