|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
(a) Off the coast of Peru.
(b) Off the coast of Colombia.
(c) Off the coast of Uruguay.
(d) Off the coast of Argentina.
2. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) A lance.
(b) A harpoon.
(c) A knife.
(d) An oar.
3. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is impressed.
(c) He is inspired.
(d) He is surprised.
4. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(b) A mate and a boat steerer.
(c) A mate and oarsmen.
(d) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
5. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(b) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(c) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(d) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
2. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
3. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
4. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
5. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)