|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
(a) If the boat was smaller.
(b) Nothing could have helped it.
(c) If the boat was new.
(d) If the boat was bigger.
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are proud.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They are angry.
3. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
(b) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
(c) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(d) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
4. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
5. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) August 5.
(b) July 5.
(c) August 15.
(d) July 15.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
2. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
3. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
4. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)