|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(b) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(c) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(d) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
2. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) On its back.
(b) Tail first.
(c) Head first.
(d) On its side.
3. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(b) Very few.
(c) An average amount.
4. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Twelve hundred pounds.
(c) Six hundred pounds.
(d) Twelve hundred tons.
5. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
2. How are sailors paid?
3. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
4. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
5. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)