|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Sixteen years old.
(c) Eighteen years old.
(d) Fourteen years old.
2. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, small, and lucky.
(b) New, big, and lucky.
(c) Old, big, and lucky.
(d) Old, small, and lucky.
3. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) He is a novice.
(b) He has over ten years of experience.
(c) This is his third whaling trip.
(d) This is his fourth whaling trip.
4. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
5. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket pull through.
(b) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(c) Nantucket speeder.
(d) Nantucket drag along.
Short Answer Questions
1. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
2. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
3. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
4. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
5. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)