|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) After Buenos Aires.
(b) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(c) At Buenos Aires.
(d) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
2. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) A flag.
(b) The men on the ship.
(c) The bones on the ship.
(d) A fire.
3. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) One hundred and fifty dollars.
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than nine.
(b) Less than nine.
(c) More than eleven.
(d) More than ten.
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) More chores on the ship.
(b) Smaller food portions.
(c) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(d) Less sleep time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
2. How much can sperm whales weigh?
3. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
4. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
5. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)