|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Over a thousand.
(b) Less than five hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
(d) Over two thousand.
2. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Ten feet.
(c) One mile.
(d) One foot.
3. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Eighteen years old.
(c) Fourteen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
4. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
5. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) There are no weapons nearby.
(b) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(c) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
(d) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
2. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
3. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
4. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
5. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)