|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) Very few.
(c) An average amount.
2. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
(b) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
(c) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
(d) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
3. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) September 12.
(b) October 22.
(c) October 2.
(d) September 22.
4. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Eighteen years old.
(b) Fifteen years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Fourteen years old.
5. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(b) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(c) According to their rank.
(d) According to how many whales they have killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
2. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
3. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
5. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)