|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
(a) Three minutes.
(b) One minute.
(c) Less than a minute.
(d) Five minutes.
2. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) September 22.
(b) September 12.
(c) October 22.
(d) October 2.
3. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
4. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It swims away.
(b) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
(c) It sits on top of the water.
(d) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
5. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables and weapons.
(b) Livestock and weapons.
(c) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and livestock.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
2. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
3. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
4. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
5. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)