|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
3. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fourteen years old.
(b) Eighteen years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
4. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
5. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) Old, big, and lucky.
(b) New, big, and lucky.
(c) Old, small, and lucky.
(d) New, small, and lucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
2. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
3. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
4. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
5. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)