|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
(a) If the boat was bigger.
(b) If the boat was new.
(c) If the boat was smaller.
(d) Nothing could have helped it.
2. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(b) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
(c) He receives a letter.
(d) He is told by a messenger.
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Eight thousand people.
(b) Six thousand people.
(c) Seven thousand people.
(d) Five thousand people.
5. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(b) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(c) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(d) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
2. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
3. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
4. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
5. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)