|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Eight hours.
2. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 5.
(b) July 15.
(c) August 15.
(d) August 5.
3. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
4. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
5. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(a) Square shaped.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
2. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
3. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
4. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
5. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)