|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Livestock and weapons.
(b) Vegetables and weapons.
(c) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and livestock.
2. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
3. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
4. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
(b) It swims away.
(c) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
(d) It sits on top of the water.
5. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is inspired.
(b) He is surprised.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is impressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
2. How are sailors paid?
3. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
4. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)