|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
(a) Off the coast of Peru.
(b) Off the coast of Uruguay.
(c) Off the coast of Argentina.
(d) Off the coast of Colombia.
2. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Twelve hundred pounds.
(b) Twelve hundred tons.
(c) Six hundred pounds.
(d) Sixty tons.
3. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Hood Island.
(b) Barrington Island.
(c) Tower Island.
(d) Culpepper Island.
4. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
5. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
Short Answer Questions
1. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
2. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
3. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
4. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
5. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)