|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
2. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Eight hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Two hours.
3. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables and livestock.
(b) Livestock and weapons.
(c) Vegetables and weapons.
(d) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
4. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(b) A mate and a boat steerer.
(c) A mate and oarsmen.
(d) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
5. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(b) At Buenos Aires.
(c) After Buenos Aires.
(d) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
2. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
3. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
4. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
5. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)