|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
(a) Seven a.m.
(b) Nine a.m.
(c) Eight a.m.
(d) Six a.m.
2. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Two hours.
3. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
4. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
(a) Several days.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several hours.
5. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) The Cruel Sea.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
2. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
3. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
4. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
5. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)