|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) One foot.
(c) Ten feet.
(d) One mile.
2. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(b) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(c) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(d) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
3. In what year does the story take place in?
4. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Six thousand people.
(b) Seven thousand people.
(c) Eight thousand people.
(d) Five thousand people.
5. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) The Cruel Sea.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(d) Moby Dick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
2. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
3. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
5. How much can sperm whales weigh?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)