|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
2. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
3. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Twenty- four years old.
(b) Thirty- four years old.
(c) Twenty- eight years old.
(d) Thirty- eight years old.
4. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) A fire.
(b) A flag.
(c) The men on the ship.
(d) The bones on the ship.
5. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, big, and lucky.
(b) Old, small, and lucky.
(c) Old, big, and lucky.
(d) New, small, and lucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
2. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
3. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
5. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)