|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Only Chase.
(b) Chase and Joy.
(c) Nickerson and Joy.
(d) Only Joy.
2. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(b) A mate and a boat steerer.
(c) A mate and oarsmen.
(d) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
3. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) One to two months.
(b) Six months to a year.
(c) Two to three years.
(d) One to two years.
4. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Eight hours.
5. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) He has over ten years of experience.
(b) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(c) This is his third whaling trip.
(d) He is a novice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
2. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
3. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
4. In what year does the story take place in?
5. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)