|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(b) A mate and oarsmen.
(c) A mate and a boat steerer.
(d) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
2. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(c) Square shaped.
3. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, small, and lucky.
(b) Old, small, and lucky.
(c) New, big, and lucky.
(d) Old, big, and lucky.
4. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
2. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
3. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
4. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
5. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)