|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
2. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed.
(b) According to their rank.
(c) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(d) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
3. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
4. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) On its back.
(b) Tail first.
(c) Head first.
(d) On its side.
5. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) The bones on the ship.
(b) The men on the ship.
(c) A flag.
(d) A fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
2. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
3. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
4. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
5. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)