|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) After Buenos Aires.
(b) At Buenos Aires.
(c) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
(d) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
2. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
3. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
4. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
5. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) August 5.
(b) July 5.
(c) July 15.
(d) August 15.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
2. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
3. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
5. How are sailors paid?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)