|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
2. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(b) Nantucket speeder.
(c) Nantucket drag along.
(d) Nantucket pull through.
3. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
4. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) August 15.
(b) August 5.
(c) July 15.
(d) July 5.
5. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
3. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
5. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)