|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
2. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Twelve hundred tons.
(b) Six hundred pounds.
(c) Twelve hundred pounds.
(d) Sixty tons.
3. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
4. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Only Chase.
(b) Nickerson and Joy.
(c) Chase and Joy.
(d) Only Joy.
5. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) He has over ten years of experience.
(b) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(c) He is a novice.
(d) This is his third whaling trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
2. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
3. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
4. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
5. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)