|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
2. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) The Cruel Sea.
(c) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(d) Treasure Island.
3. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Two hours.
4. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(c) Very few.
(d) An average amount.
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
2. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
3. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
4. How are sailors paid?
5. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)