|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is inspired.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is impressed.
(d) He is surprised.
2. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than ten.
(b) More than eleven.
(c) Less than nine.
(d) More than nine.
3. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(b) An average amount.
(c) Very few.
4. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) August 15.
(b) July 15.
(c) July 5.
(d) August 5.
5. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
(a) Six a.m.
(b) Eight a.m.
(c) Nine a.m.
(d) Seven a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
2. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
3. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
4. How much can sperm whales weigh?
5. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)