|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred and fifty dollars.
2. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
3. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Seven thousand people.
(b) Eight thousand people.
(c) Six thousand people.
(d) Five thousand people.
4. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next year.
(b) Something horrible is going to happen.
(c) There will be good weather for the next month.
(d) Something unusual is going to happen.
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Eighteen years old.
(c) Fourteen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
2. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
3. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
4. In what year does the story take place in?
5. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)