|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) Very few.
(d) An average amount.
2. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Seven thousand people.
(b) Six thousand people.
(c) Five thousand people.
(d) Eight thousand people.
3. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
4. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) Tail first.
(b) On its back.
(c) On its side.
(d) Head first.
5. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He receives a letter.
(b) He is told by a messenger.
(c) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
(d) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are sailors paid?
2. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
3. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
4. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
5. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)