|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) He is a novice.
(b) This is his third whaling trip.
(c) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(d) He has over ten years of experience.
2. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 15.
(b) August 5.
(c) July 5.
(d) August 15.
3. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket speeder.
(b) Nantucket drag along.
(c) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(d) Nantucket pull through.
4. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
2. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
3. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
4. How are sailors paid?
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)