|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) Very few.
(d) An average amount.
2. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
(a) Several months.
(b) Several hours.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Several days.
3. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
(b) After Buenos Aires.
(c) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(d) At Buenos Aires.
4. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) Tail first.
(b) On its side.
(c) On its back.
(d) Head first.
5. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) The bones on the ship.
(b) A fire.
(c) A flag.
(d) The men on the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
2. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
3. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
4. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
5. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)