|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
2. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(b) This is his third whaling trip.
(c) He is a novice.
(d) He has over ten years of experience.
3. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(b) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(c) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(d) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
4. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
5. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over a quarter.
(b) Over half.
(c) Almost half.
(d) Almost a quarter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
2. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
3. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
4. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)