|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 15.
(b) July 5.
(c) August 5.
(d) August 15.
2. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(b) Square shaped.
3. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables and weapons.
(b) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(c) Livestock and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and livestock.
4. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket pull through.
(b) Nantucket drag along.
(c) Nantucket speeder.
(d) Nantucket sleigh ride.
5. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
(a) Seven a.m.
(b) Eight a.m.
(c) Nine a.m.
(d) Six a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
2. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
3. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
4. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)