|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Less sleep time.
(b) More chores on the ship.
(c) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(d) Smaller food portions.
3. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
4. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Livestock and weapons.
(b) Vegetables and weapons.
(c) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and livestock.
5. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) The Cruel Sea.
(d) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
2. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
3. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
4. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
5. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)