|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Twelve hundred tons.
(b) Twelve hundred pounds.
(c) Sixty tons.
(d) Six hundred pounds.
2. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(b) Nantucket pull through.
(c) Nantucket drag along.
(d) Nantucket speeder.
3. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) The Cruel Sea.
4. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Almost half.
(b) Almost a quarter.
(c) Over a quarter.
(d) Over half.
5. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(b) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(c) According to their rank.
(d) According to how many whales they have killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
3. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
4. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
5. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)