|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
2. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) One to two months.
(b) Six months to a year.
(c) Two to three years.
(d) One to two years.
3. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
4. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
5. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(b) One hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
2. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
3. In what year does the story take place in?
4. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
5. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)