|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables and livestock.
(b) Vegetables and weapons.
(c) Livestock and weapons.
(d) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
2. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
3. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket speeder.
(b) Nantucket drag along.
(c) Nantucket pull through.
(d) Nantucket sleigh ride.
4. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
(a) Several months.
(b) Several days.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Several hours.
5. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
2. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
3. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
4. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
5. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)