|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred and fifty dollars.
2. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
3. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
4. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
5. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
2. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
3. In what year does the story take place in?
4. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
5. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)