|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
3. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
4. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) On its side.
(b) Head first.
(c) Tail first.
(d) On its back.
5. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) Six months to a year.
(b) One to two years.
(c) Two to three years.
(d) One to two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
2. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
5. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)