|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 15.
(b) August 15.
(c) July 5.
(d) August 5.
2. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) A flag.
(b) A fire.
(c) The men on the ship.
(d) The bones on the ship.
3. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) On its side.
(b) On its back.
(c) Tail first.
(d) Head first.
4. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Twenty- four years old.
(b) Thirty- four years old.
(c) Twenty- eight years old.
(d) Thirty- eight years old.
5. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
(a) Several days.
(b) Several months.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Several hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
2. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
3. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
4. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)