|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Six hours.
2. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) A flag.
(b) The bones on the ship.
(c) A fire.
(d) The men on the ship.
3. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is impressed.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is surprised.
(d) He is inspired.
4. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Thirty- four years old.
(b) Thirty- eight years old.
(c) Twenty- four years old.
(d) Twenty- eight years old.
5. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, big, and lucky.
(b) Old, small, and lucky.
(c) Old, big, and lucky.
(d) New, small, and lucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
2. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
3. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
4. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
5. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)