|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is inspired.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is surprised.
(d) He is impressed.
2. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) Less than nine.
(b) More than eleven.
(c) More than ten.
(d) More than nine.
3. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) Six months to a year.
(b) Two to three years.
(c) One to two years.
(d) One to two months.
4. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Six thousand people.
(b) Seven thousand people.
(c) Eight thousand people.
(d) Five thousand people.
5. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much can sperm whales weigh?
2. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
3. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
4. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)