|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(b) Square shaped.
2. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Seven thousand people.
(b) Eight thousand people.
(c) Six thousand people.
(d) Five thousand people.
3. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
4. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) The bones on the ship.
(b) A flag.
(c) A fire.
(d) The men on the ship.
5. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, big, and lucky.
(b) New, small, and lucky.
(c) Old, small, and lucky.
(d) Old, big, and lucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
2. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
3. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
5. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)