|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(b) Livestock and weapons.
(c) Vegetables and livestock.
(d) Vegetables and weapons.
2. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) Something unusual is going to happen.
(b) There will be good weather for the next year.
(c) There will be good weather for the next month.
(d) Something horrible is going to happen.
3. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over half.
(b) Almost half.
(c) Over a quarter.
(d) Almost a quarter.
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
5. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) Two to three years.
(b) One to two months.
(c) One to two years.
(d) Six months to a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
2. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
3. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
4. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
5. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)