|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Eighteen years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Fifteen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
2. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(a) Square shaped.
3. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) A flag.
(b) A fire.
(c) The men on the ship.
(d) The bones on the ship.
4. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
5. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) One hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
2. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
3. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
4. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
5. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)