|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
2. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is surprised.
(c) He is inspired.
(d) He is impressed.
3. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are proud.
(b) They are angry.
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They are amused.
4. In what year does the story take place in?
5. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He is told by a messenger.
(b) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
(c) He receives a letter.
(d) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
2. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
3. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
4. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
5. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)