|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(b) Square shaped.
2. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(b) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(c) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(d) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
3. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He receives a letter.
(b) He is told by a messenger.
(c) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(d) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
4. In what year does the story take place in?
5. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
(a) Seven a.m.
(b) Eight a.m.
(c) Nine a.m.
(d) Six a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
3. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
4. How are sailors paid?
5. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)