|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
(a) Seven a.m.
(b) Nine a.m.
(c) Six a.m.
(d) Eight a.m.
2. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(b) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(c) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(d) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
3. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) Old, big, and lucky.
(b) New, big, and lucky.
(c) New, small, and lucky.
(d) Old, small, and lucky.
4. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Nickerson and Joy.
(b) Only Joy.
(c) Chase and Joy.
(d) Only Chase.
5. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(b) Livestock and weapons.
(c) Vegetables and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and livestock.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
2. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
3. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
4. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
5. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)