|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Two hours.
2. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
3. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 15.
(b) August 15.
(c) July 5.
(d) August 5.
4. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables and livestock.
(b) Vegetables and weapons.
(c) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(d) Livestock and weapons.
5. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Six hundred pounds.
(b) Twelve hundred pounds.
(c) Sixty tons.
(d) Twelve hundred tons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
2. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
3. How are sailors paid?
4. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
5. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)