|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than eleven.
(b) More than nine.
(c) Less than nine.
(d) More than ten.
2. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He receives a letter.
(b) He is told by a messenger.
(c) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
(d) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
3. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
4. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
5. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Six thousand people.
(b) Seven thousand people.
(c) Eight thousand people.
(d) Five thousand people.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
2. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
3. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
4. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
5. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)