|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
2. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(b) According to how many whales they have killed.
(c) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(d) According to their rank.
3. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) Old, big, and lucky.
(b) New, big, and lucky.
(c) New, small, and lucky.
(d) Old, small, and lucky.
4. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
5. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over half.
(b) Almost half.
(c) Almost a quarter.
(d) Over a quarter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
2. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
3. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
4. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
5. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)