|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(b) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(c) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(d) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
3. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
(a) Only Joy.
(b) Chase and Joy.
(c) Only Chase.
(d) Nickerson and Joy.
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than ten.
(b) Less than nine.
(c) More than eleven.
(d) More than nine.
5. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
2. How much can sperm whales weigh?
3. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
4. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
5. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)