|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
(a) Nine a.m.
(b) Eight a.m.
(c) Six a.m.
(d) Seven a.m.
2. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 15.
(b) August 5.
(c) August 15.
(d) July 5.
3. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Twenty- four years old.
(b) Twenty- eight years old.
(c) Thirty- eight years old.
(d) Thirty- four years old.
4. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
(a) Forty- three miles.
(b) Forty- two miles.
(c) Thirty- four miles.
(d) Twenty- four miles.
5. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is inspired.
(b) He is surprised.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is impressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
2. In what year does the story take place in?
3. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
4. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
5. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)