|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) One to two months.
(b) Two to three years.
(c) One to two years.
(d) Six months to a year.
2. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
3. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
4. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
5. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) The men on the ship.
(b) The bones on the ship.
(c) A fire.
(d) A flag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
2. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
3. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
4. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
5. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)