|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next year.
(b) There will be good weather for the next month.
(c) Something unusual is going to happen.
(d) Something horrible is going to happen.
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are proud.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They are embarrassed.
3. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is impressed.
(c) He is inspired.
(d) He is confused.
4. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
5. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Six hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
2. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
3. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
4. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
5. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)