|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
2. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) Six months to a year.
(b) One to two months.
(c) Two to three years.
(d) One to two years.
3. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Two hours.
4. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
5. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) The Cruel Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
2. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
3. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
4. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
5. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)