|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
2. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
3. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
4. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) The bones on the ship.
(b) A fire.
(c) The men on the ship.
(d) A flag.
5. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(b) Vegetables and weapons.
(c) Livestock and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and livestock.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
3. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
4. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
5. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)