Eight Week Quiz E
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
(a) Four months.
(b) Three months.
(c) One month.
(d) Two months.
2. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
(a) They attempt to stab the whale.
(b) They jump overboard.
(c) They throw their provisions overboard.
(d) They attempt to punch the whale.
3. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
(a) Sailors and boats.
(b) More food.
(c) Letters from home.
(d) More weapons.
4. Which weapon does Pollard choose to keep for himself as Chapter 6 ends?
5. Why does Pollard think that backtracking to the Galapagos Islands is impossible in Chapter 6?
(a) Because of the wind direction.
(b) Because of the distance.
(c) Because of the uncertainty of how to get back to them.
(d) Because of the waves around the islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
3. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
4. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
5. What is Chase's first inclination upon arriving at the island in Chapter 9?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)