Eight Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are amused.
(b) They are proud.
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They are angry.
2. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is impressed.
(c) He is surprised.
(d) He is inspired.
3. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over half.
(b) Almost a quarter.
(c) Almost half.
(d) Over a quarter.
4. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket pull through.
(b) Nantucket drag along.
(c) Nantucket speeder.
(d) Nantucket sleigh ride.
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
2. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
3. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
4. How are sailors paid?
5. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)