|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
(a) He puts an arm or leg across them as he sleeps.
(b) He sleeps with a loaded pistol.
(c) He transfers them to his chest.
(d) He threatens to decrease the portions for anyone that has too much.
2. Why is the arrival of Chase, Lawrence, and Nickerson in Nantucket unexpected in Chapter 13?
(a) A rumor had been told that they refused to return home.
(b) The people there are not aware of their rescue.
(c) They are scheduled to arrive on a different ship.
(d) They are scheduled to arrive one month later.
3. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
(b) It sits on top of the water.
(c) It swims away.
(d) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
4. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Sixteen years old.
(c) Eighteen years old.
(d) Fourteen years old.
5. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(b) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(c) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(d) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
2. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
3. What do the men do with Cole when he begins ranting incoherently?
4. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
5. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)