|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Build miniature fans in the boat.
(b) Drink more water.
(c) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(d) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
2. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
(a) One day.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Three days.
3. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) One to two years.
(b) Six months to a year.
(c) One to two months.
(d) Two to three years.
4. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(b) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(c) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
(d) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
5. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
2. In what year does the story take place in?
3. What island do the men initially think they have found in the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. How long does Pollard wait before being taken home on the Two Brothers?
5. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)