|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
(a) They attempt to punch the whale.
(b) They throw their provisions overboard.
(c) They attempt to stab the whale.
(d) They jump overboard.
2. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Six hundred pounds.
(c) Twelve hundred tons.
(d) Twelve hundred pounds.
3. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) In the late afternoon.
(c) At night.
(d) In the morning.
4. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(b) A mate and a boat steerer.
(c) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(d) A mate and oarsmen.
5. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One month.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) One hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
3. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
4. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
5. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)