|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it difficult for the men to row in Chapter 8?
(a) They are too weak.
(b) They are not getting enough sleep.
(c) It is too hot.
(d) They are rowing against the wind.
2. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) He has over ten years of experience.
(b) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(c) He is a novice.
(d) This is his third whaling trip.
3. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
(a) It is never done.
(b) It is widespread.
(c) It is unknown.
(d) It is rarely done.
4. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
5. How long after the sinking of the Essex is Chase's account of the ordeal available as a book?
(a) Almost exactly a year.
(b) Almost exactly two years.
(c) Less than six months.
(d) Less than a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
2. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
3. How long does the northwesterly breeze hold for before switching to the east-northeast in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
5. Which well known island is mentioned in Chapter 6 as a part of the Society Islands that the Nantucketers should have known about?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)