|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than nine.
(b) Less than nine.
(c) More than ten.
(d) More than eleven.
2. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
(b) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
(c) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
(d) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
3. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the late afternoon.
(b) At night.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the morning.
4. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(b) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
(c) He is told by a messenger.
(d) He receives a letter.
5. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Barrington Island.
(b) Tower Island.
(c) Culpepper Island.
(d) Hood Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which region of Chile are Chase, Nickerson, and Lawrence on February 25?
2. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
3. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
4. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
5. How are sailors paid?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)