|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
2. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
(b) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
(c) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(d) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
3. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(b) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(c) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(d) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
4. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A mate and oarsmen.
(b) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(c) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(d) A mate and a boat steerer.
5. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) The Cruel Sea.
(b) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) Treasure Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Richard Peterson choose to die?
2. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
3. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
4. What do the men begin losing on their first morning on the island?
5. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)