|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the story take place in?
2. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
(a) Fifty- five hundred nautical miles.
(b) Twenty- five hundred nautical miles.
(c) Forty- five hundred nautical miles.
(d) Thirty- five hundred nautical miles.
3. On what day does Pollard reach St. Mary's Island?
(a) February 23.
(b) February 21.
(c) February 20.
(d) February 22.
4. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
(a) Several hours.
(b) Several days.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several weeks.
5. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next year.
(b) There will be good weather for the next month.
(c) Something unusual is going to happen.
(d) Something horrible is going to happen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
2. What do the men do in order to prevent water from splashing over the edges of the remaining boats?
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
5. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)