|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
2. Contrary to what the men think, what island are they actually on in Chapter 9?
(a) Pitcairn Island.
(b) Oeno Island.
(c) Ducie Island.
(d) Henderson Island.
3. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed.
(b) According to their rank.
(c) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(d) According to their time at sea for each trip.
4. What is the first concern that the men have about the island they find?
(a) It might not have water.
(b) It might be deserted.
(c) It might be inhabited.
(d) It might not have food.
5. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) One thousand one hundred miles.
(b) Eight hundred and forty miles.
(c) Two thousand and one hundred miles.
(d) Fourteen hundred and eighty miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Cole die?
2. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
3. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
4. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
5. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)