|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
(a) Three minutes.
(b) One minute.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Less than a minute.
2. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
3. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
(b) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(c) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
(d) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
4. What island do the men initially think they have found in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Oeno Island.
(b) Henderson Island.
(c) Pitcairn Island.
(d) Ducie Island.
5. On what day does Pollard reach St. Mary's Island?
(a) February 21.
(b) February 23.
(c) February 22.
(d) February 20.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
2. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
3. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
4. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
5. What year is it when Chapter 12 begins?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)