|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They are sailing parallel to South America.
(b) They are very close to South America.
(c) They are sailing towards South America.
(d) They sailed past South America.
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
(a) There is no stability when cutting up the whale blubber.
(b) It is difficult to lower the whale boats.
(c) It is difficult to raise the whale boats.
(d) Loss of direction.
3. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
(a) Sword fish.
(d) Flying fish.
4. What do the men use in Chapter 10 to figure out their longitude?
(a) Only a log line and a compass.
(b) Only latitude and a compass.
(c) Only latitude and a log line.
(d) Latitude, a log line, and a compass.
5. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
2. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
3. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
4. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
5. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)