|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
2. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(b) After Buenos Aires.
(c) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
(d) At Buenos Aires.
3. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
(a) More than eleven.
(b) More than ten.
(c) More than nine.
(d) Less than nine.
4. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(b) A mate and a boat steerer.
(c) A mate and oarsmen.
(d) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
5. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
2. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
3. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
4. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
5. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)