|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next month.
(b) There will be good weather for the next year.
(c) Something horrible is going to happen.
(d) Something unusual is going to happen.
2. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
3. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Five months.
(d) Four months.
4. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They are amused.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They are proud.
5. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(b) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
(c) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(d) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
2. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
3. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
4. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
5. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)