|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
(a) There is no stability when cutting up the whale blubber.
(b) It is difficult to raise the whale boats.
(c) Loss of direction.
(d) It is difficult to lower the whale boats.
2. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
(a) Off the coast of Colombia.
(b) Off the coast of Argentina.
(c) Off the coast of Peru.
(d) Off the coast of Uruguay.
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. What shape are the sails of the Essex?
(b) Square shaped.
5. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Four hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
2. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
3. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
4. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
5. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)