|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables and livestock.
(b) Livestock and weapons.
(c) Vegetables and weapons.
(d) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
2. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(c) Very few.
(d) An average amount.
3. How much can sperm whales weigh?
(a) Sixty tons.
(b) Twelve hundred pounds.
(c) Twelve hundred tons.
(d) Six hundred pounds.
4. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Four months.
5. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, small, and lucky.
(b) Old, small, and lucky.
(c) Old, big, and lucky.
(d) New, big, and lucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
3. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
4. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
5. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)