|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
2. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
(b) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
(c) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
(d) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
3. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Eighteen years old.
4. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
(a) Chase uses force to see that his orders are followed.
(b) Chase has a mild-mannered approach to assigning tasks.
(c) Chase does not talk to anyone but the captain.
(d) Chase does not appear to understand how a ship works.
5. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
2. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
3. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
4. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
5. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)