|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) Head first.
(b) Tail first.
(c) On its back.
(d) On its side.
2. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) Something unusual is going to happen.
(b) There will be good weather for the next month.
(c) There will be good weather for the next year.
(d) Something horrible is going to happen.
3. While repairing the Essex's leak, what else do the men gather in Chapter 4?
4. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
(a) One month.
(b) One hour.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
5. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
2. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
3. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
4. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
5. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)