|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) The Cruel Sea.
(d) Moby Dick.
2. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
3. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(b) This is his third whaling trip.
(c) He is a novice.
(d) He has over ten years of experience.
4. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over a quarter.
(b) Over half.
(c) Almost a quarter.
(d) Almost half.
5. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
(a) Off the coast of Argentina.
(b) Off the coast of Uruguay.
(c) Off the coast of Peru.
(d) Off the coast of Colombia.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
2. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
3. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
4. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
5. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)