|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
2. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Hood Island.
(b) Tower Island.
(c) Barrington Island.
(d) Culpepper Island.
3. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(b) He is told by a messenger.
(c) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
(d) He receives a letter.
4. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of troubles that the bad weather causes for the Essex in Chapter 4?
(a) It is difficult to raise the whale boats.
(b) It is difficult to lower the whale boats.
(c) There is no stability when cutting up the whale blubber.
(d) Loss of direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
2. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
3. How long does it take the crew of the Essex to kill eleven whales in Chapter 4?
4. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
5. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)