|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is impressed.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is surprised.
(d) He is inspired.
2. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
(a) More weapons.
(b) Letters from home.
(c) Sailors and boats.
(d) More food.
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) A flag.
(b) The men on the ship.
(c) The bones on the ship.
(d) A fire.
5. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
2. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
3. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
4. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
5. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)