|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is inspired.
(d) He is impressed.
2. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
(a) Forty- three miles.
(b) Forty- two miles.
(c) Thirty- four miles.
(d) Twenty- four miles.
3. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Seven thousand people.
(b) Eight thousand people.
(c) Six thousand people.
(d) Five thousand people.
4. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
(b) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
(c) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
(d) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
5. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are amused.
(b) They are angry.
(c) They are proud.
(d) They are embarrassed.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
2. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
3. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
4. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
5. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)