|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
2. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Livestock and weapons.
(b) Vegetables and weapons.
(c) Vegetables and livestock.
(d) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
3. Which one of the Galapagos Islands is the crew of the Essex on when they discover a leak in the ship?
(a) Hood Island.
(b) Tower Island.
(c) Barrington Island.
(d) Culpepper Island.
4. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) The Cruel Sea.
(c) Treasure Island.
(d) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
5. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(b) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
(c) At Buenos Aires.
(d) After Buenos Aires.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
2. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
3. What time does Chase order the men to prepare the ship for whaling in Chapter 2?
4. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
5. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)