|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(b) Vegetables and livestock.
(c) Livestock and weapons.
(d) Vegetables and weapons.
2. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
3. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, big, and lucky.
(b) New, small, and lucky.
(c) Old, small, and lucky.
(d) Old, big, and lucky.
4. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
5. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
Short Answer Questions
1. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
2. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
3. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
4. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)