|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(b) More chores on the ship.
(c) Smaller food portions.
(d) Less sleep time.
2. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Almost a quarter.
(b) Almost half.
(c) Over half.
(d) Over a quarter.
3. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
(b) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
(c) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
(d) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
4. How many masts does the Essex have as it sets sail in Chapter 2?
5. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) October 2.
(b) October 22.
(c) September 12.
(d) September 22.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Aurora bring for the crew of the Essex?
2. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
3. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
4. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
5. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)