|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket pull through.
(b) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(c) Nantucket drag along.
(d) Nantucket speeder.
2. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
3. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
4. As described in the Preface, in which ocean are the whales hunted?
5. When does the Essex sail towards the Galapagos Islands in Chapter 4?
(a) October 22.
(b) September 22.
(c) September 12.
(d) October 2.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
2. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
3. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
4. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)