|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men are in the small boat when it is first mentioned in the preface?
2. What do Pollard and Daniel Russell, the captain of the Aurora, discuss in Chapter 4?
(a) The discovery of other whaling boats off the coast.
(b) The discovery of a new whaling ground.
(c) The remaining time of the Essex's trip.
(d) The remaining time of the Aurora's trip.
3. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) Tail first.
(b) On its back.
(c) Head first.
(d) On its side.
4. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
5. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A mate and oarsmen.
(b) A mate and a boat steerer.
(c) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(d) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
2. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
3. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
4. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
5. In what year does the story take place in?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)