|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) This is his third whaling trip.
(b) He has over ten years of experience.
(c) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(d) He is a novice.
2. How is Pollard informed to set sail?
(a) He receives a letter.
(b) He is told by a messenger.
(c) He is told directly by the owners of the ship.
(d) He leaves according to the weather patterns.
3. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed.
(b) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(c) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(d) According to their rank.
4. Which fictional novel was inspired by the sinking of the Essex?
(a) The Cruel Sea.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
(d) Treasure Island.
5. How many men normally would attempt to approach, harpoon, and kill the whale?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles does it take the crew to set and trim the sails of the Essex?
2. When did ships from Nantucket first start rounding Cape Horn?
3. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
4. On which country's coast is the Dauphin traveling when it spots the smaller boat?
5. According to the Preface, what is the primary reason for whale hunting?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)