|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Captain George Pollard, Jr. when he boards the Essex in Chapter 2?
(a) Twenty- four years old.
(b) Thirty- four years old.
(c) Twenty- eight years old.
(d) Thirty- eight years old.
2. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Almost a quarter.
(b) Over half.
(c) Almost half.
(d) Over a quarter.
3. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are amused.
(b) They are angry.
(c) They are proud.
(d) They are embarrassed.
4. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next month.
(b) Something unusual is going to happen.
(c) There will be good weather for the next year.
(d) Something horrible is going to happen.
5. What is Nickerson's response to the captain's approach in introducing himself to the crew?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is impressed.
(d) He is inspired.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
2. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
3. After having little luck off the coast of Chile, where does the Essex begin experiencing some success?
4. What surprises Nickerson about Chase while they are on the sea?
5. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)