|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fourteen years old.
(b) Fifteen years old.
(c) Eighteen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
2. How do Pollard and Chase react to the way the men take the Essex out to sea?
(a) They are amused.
(b) They are embarrassed.
(c) They are proud.
(d) They are angry.
3. What Ecuadorian city does the Essex stop at during September in Chapter 4?
4. What month is it when the island of St. Mary's is sighted off the coast of Chile in Chapter 4?
5. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
(a) A fire.
(b) The men on the ship.
(c) A flag.
(d) The bones on the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
2. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
3. How far have the men rescued by the Dauphin been sailing at the end of the Preface?
4. How long are the shifts that each man serves on watching the decks during the evenings in Chapter 2?
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)