|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which provisions does the crew of the Essex plan to purchase at the Azores?
(a) Vegetables, livestock, and weapons.
(b) Vegetables and livestock.
(c) Vegetables and weapons.
(d) Livestock and weapons.
2. How far off the coast of New England is Nantucket located?
(a) Forty- three miles.
(b) Forty- two miles.
(c) Twenty- four miles.
(d) Thirty- four miles.
3. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
(a) One hundred and fifty dollars.
(b) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
4. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 5.
(b) July 15.
(c) August 5.
(d) August 15.
5. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) This is his third whaling trip.
(b) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(c) He has over ten years of experience.
(d) He is a novice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the Essex to round Cape Horn in Chapter 4?
2. What is the first thing that the captain and crew of the Dauphin notice when they see the smaller boat?
3. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
4. After being damaged in the storm, who encourages Pollard to continue with the trip instead of returning to Nantucket?
5. Out of twenty men who witnessed the sinking of the Essex, how many total men survived?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)