|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of fish surround Chase's boat in Chapter 8?
(b) Flying fish.
(c) Sword fish.
2. What does Pollard do the night before leaving the island in Chapter 9?
(a) He writes a letter to his wife.
(b) He writes a letter to the captain of another ship.
(c) He begins collecting rocks.
(d) He begins collecting nuts and berries.
3. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
(b) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
(c) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(d) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
4. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 16.
(b) December 18.
(c) December 17.
(d) December 19.
5. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
(a) The night of December 10.
(b) The night of December 9.
(c) The morning of December 10.
(d) The morning of December 9.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
2. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
3. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
4. How long do the officers think it will take the crew to reach either Chile or Peru?
5. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)