|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Almost half.
(b) Over a quarter.
(c) Almost a quarter.
(d) Over half.
2. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) At Buenos Aires.
(b) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(c) After Buenos Aires.
(d) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
3. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) Head first.
(b) On its side.
(c) Tail first.
(d) On its back.
4. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(b) Drink more water.
(c) Build miniature fans in the boat.
(d) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Eighteen years old.
(b) Sixteen years old.
(c) Fourteen years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
2. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
3. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
4. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
5. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)