|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) One mile.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) One foot.
(d) Ten feet.
2. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Eighteen years old.
3. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(b) According to their rank.
(c) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(d) According to how many whales they have killed.
4. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) He has over ten years of experience.
(b) He is a novice.
(c) This is his third whaling trip.
(d) This is his fourth whaling trip.
5. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They are very close to South America.
(b) They sailed past South America.
(c) They are sailing parallel to South America.
(d) They are sailing towards South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
2. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
3. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
4. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)