|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed.
(b) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(c) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(d) According to their rank.
2. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
(a) They retrace the route that Pollard was on.
(b) They shoot flares.
(c) They return to the last place they saw Pollard.
(d) They call out.
3. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 18.
(b) December 16.
(c) December 19.
(d) December 17.
4. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next year.
(b) Something horrible is going to happen.
(c) There will be good weather for the next month.
(d) Something unusual is going to happen.
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Sixteen years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) Eighteen years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
2. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
3. What type of whale attacks Pollard's boat in Chapter 7?
4. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
5. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)