|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Seventy tons.
(b) Eighty tons.
(c) Fifty tons.
(d) Sixty tons.
2. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
(a) He sleeps with a loaded pistol.
(b) He threatens to decrease the portions for anyone that has too much.
(c) He puts an arm or leg across them as he sleeps.
(d) He transfers them to his chest.
3. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fourteen years old.
(b) Eighteen years old.
(c) Fifteen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
4. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
5. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Almost a quarter.
(b) Over a quarter.
(c) Over half.
(d) Almost half.
Short Answer Questions
1. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
2. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
3. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
4. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)