|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it difficult for the men to row in Chapter 8?
(a) They are not getting enough sleep.
(b) They are rowing against the wind.
(c) It is too hot.
(d) They are too weak.
2. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
(a) A bolt of lightning strikes the boat.
(b) Chase kicks the side of the boat out of frustration.
(c) The whale's tail hits the boat.
(d) The harpoon inadvertently crashes into the side of the boat.
3. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
(a) The whale drags the boat for several miles.
(b) The whale is wounded, but not killed.
(c) The whale emerges underneath the boat.
(d) The whale outruns the boat.
4. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) August 5.
(b) July 15.
(c) July 5.
(d) August 15.
5. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
(a) The next morning.
(b) The next afternoon.
(c) Two days later.
(d) Three days later.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
2. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
3. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
4. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
5. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)