|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
(a) The whale outruns the boat.
(b) The whale emerges underneath the boat.
(c) The whale is wounded, but not killed.
(d) The whale drags the boat for several miles.
2. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to their time at sea for each trip.
(b) According to how many whales they have killed.
(c) According to their rank.
(d) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
3. How do the other men try to locate Pollard's boat after it disappears?
(a) They return to the last place they saw Pollard.
(b) They shoot flares.
(c) They call out.
(d) They retrace the route that Pollard was on.
4. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It swims away.
(b) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
(c) It sits on top of the water.
(d) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
5. Why is it difficult for the men to row in Chapter 8?
(a) It is too hot.
(b) They are too weak.
(c) They are not getting enough sleep.
(d) They are rowing against the wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
2. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
3. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
4. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
5. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)