|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
(a) They are in the sun for long periods of time.
(b) They are spending energy repairing their boat.
(c) They are eating saltwater-damaged bread.
(d) They have run out of the freshwater.
2. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 19.
(b) December 16.
(c) December 18.
(d) December 17.
3. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They sailed past South America.
(b) They are very close to South America.
(c) They are sailing towards South America.
(d) They are sailing parallel to South America.
4. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) Something horrible is going to happen.
(b) There will be good weather for the next month.
(c) Something unusual is going to happen.
(d) There will be good weather for the next year.
5. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are sailors paid?
2. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
3. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
4. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
5. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)