|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
2. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(c) Very few.
(d) An average amount.
3. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
(a) There will be good weather for the next year.
(b) Something unusual is going to happen.
(c) There will be good weather for the next month.
(d) Something horrible is going to happen.
4. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) One thousand one hundred miles.
(b) Eight hundred and forty miles.
(c) Two thousand and one hundred miles.
(d) Fourteen hundred and eighty miles.
5. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Five days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three days.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
2. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
3. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
4. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
5. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)