|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
(a) He threatens to decrease the portions for anyone that has too much.
(b) He puts an arm or leg across them as he sleeps.
(c) He sleeps with a loaded pistol.
(d) He transfers them to his chest.
2. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(b) Drink more water.
(c) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
(d) Build miniature fans in the boat.
3. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
(a) July 15.
(b) August 15.
(c) July 5.
(d) August 5.
4. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket speeder.
(b) Nantucket pull through.
(c) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(d) Nantucket drag along.
5. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 17.
(b) December 18.
(c) December 19.
(d) December 16.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
2. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
3. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
4. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
5. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)