|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Six thousand people.
(b) Eight thousand people.
(c) Five thousand people.
(d) Seven thousand people.
2. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Eight slices of cheese.
(b) Six slices of bread.
(c) Eight slices of bread.
(d) Six slices of cheese.
3. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) A quarter pint.
(b) Three-quarters of a pint.
(c) A half pint.
(d) A pint.
4. How are sailors paid?
(a) According to how many whales they have killed.
(b) According to how many whales they have killed and captured.
(c) According to their rank.
(d) According to their time at sea for each trip.
5. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) An average amount.
(b) Very few.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
2. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
3. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
4. As described in Chapter 1, what does the sighting of a comet indicate?
5. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)