|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
2. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Three days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Two days.
3. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
(b) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(c) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
(d) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
4. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the late afternoon.
(b) At night.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the morning.
5. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
(a) The whale emerges underneath the boat.
(b) The whale outruns the boat.
(c) The whale drags the boat for several miles.
(d) The whale is wounded, but not killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the whale to revive after the collision before preparing to ram the boat again?
2. How are sailors paid?
3. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
4. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
5. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)