|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) At least four hundred.
(b) Less than one hundred.
(c) Less than two hundred.
(d) At least three hundred.
2. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) Two to three years.
(b) One to two years.
(c) Six months to a year.
(d) One to two months.
3. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) An oar.
(b) A knife.
(c) A harpoon.
(d) A lance.
4. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
(a) New, big, and lucky.
(b) New, small, and lucky.
(c) Old, big, and lucky.
(d) Old, small, and lucky.
5. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 16.
(b) December 19.
(c) December 17.
(d) December 18.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
2. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
3. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
4. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
5. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)