|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Fifty tons.
(b) Seventy tons.
(c) Sixty tons.
(d) Eighty tons.
2. How many people live in Nantucket in 1819?
(a) Six thousand people.
(b) Eight thousand people.
(c) Seven thousand people.
(d) Five thousand people.
3. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) At night.
(c) In the late afternoon.
(d) In the morning.
4. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They are very close to South America.
(b) They are sailing towards South America.
(c) They sailed past South America.
(d) They are sailing parallel to South America.
5. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Eighteen years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Fourteen years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
2. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
3. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
4. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
5. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)