|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the average hunt for a sperm whale take?
(a) Six months to a year.
(b) One to two years.
(c) One to two months.
(d) Two to three years.
2. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
(b) It sits on top of the water.
(c) It swims away.
(d) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
3. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
(a) On its back.
(b) Tail first.
(c) Head first.
(d) On its side.
4. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
(a) They attempt to stab the whale.
(b) They throw their provisions overboard.
(c) They attempt to punch the whale.
(d) They jump overboard.
5. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over a quarter.
(b) Almost a quarter.
(c) Over half.
(d) Almost half.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
2. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
3. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
4. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
5. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)