|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
2. What does the crew on Chase's boat choose to do in order to deal with the unbearable heat in Chapter 8?
(a) Drink more water.
(b) Build miniature fans in the boat.
(c) Hang over the edge of the boat.
(d) Sit behind the sails to be in the shade.
3. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Eighteen years old.
(b) Fifteen years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Fourteen years old.
4. What does the whale do after hitting the Essex below the anchor in Chapter 5?
(a) It swims away.
(b) It sits on top of the water.
(c) It begins swimming in circles around the boat.
(d) It begins to hammer the boat with its tail.
5. When do the men attempt to row out of the winds in Chapter 8?
(a) At night.
(b) In the morning.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) In the late afternoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
2. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
3. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
4. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
5. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)