|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over half.
(b) Over a quarter.
(c) Almost a quarter.
(d) Almost half.
2. Whose ideas is it to repair the bottom of the boat by holding a hatchet against the plank from underwater?
3. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(b) Smaller food portions.
(c) More chores on the ship.
(d) Less sleep time.
4. How old is Thomas Nickerson when he first boards the Essex?
(a) Eighteen years old.
(b) Sixteen years old.
(c) Fourteen years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
5. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
(b) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
(c) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(d) There are no weapons nearby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
2. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
3. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
4. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
5. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)