|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
(a) If the boat was smaller.
(b) Nothing could have helped it.
(c) If the boat was bigger.
(d) If the boat was new.
2. How much does the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5 weigh?
(a) Eighty tons.
(b) Fifty tons.
(c) Seventy tons.
(d) Sixty tons.
3. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
(b) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
(c) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
(d) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of supplies that are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares for the journey in Chapter 1?
5. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 17.
(b) December 18.
(c) December 16.
(d) December 19.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is not something that Chase does in order to guard the provisions?
2. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
3. When is Pollard's boat sighted again in Chapter 8?
4. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
5. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)