|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over a quarter.
(b) Almost half.
(c) Almost a quarter.
(d) Over half.
2. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) A harpoon.
(b) An oar.
(c) A lance.
(d) A knife.
3. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
(a) They are in the sun for long periods of time.
(b) They are eating saltwater-damaged bread.
(c) They have run out of the freshwater.
(d) They are spending energy repairing their boat.
4. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Six slices of bread.
(b) Eight slices of bread.
(c) Eight slices of cheese.
(d) Six slices of cheese.
5. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 17.
(b) December 18.
(c) December 19.
(d) December 16.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
2. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
3. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
4. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)