|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
(a) They sailed past South America.
(b) They are sailing parallel to South America.
(c) They are very close to South America.
(d) They are sailing towards South America.
2. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over half.
(b) Almost half.
(c) Over a quarter.
(d) Almost a quarter.
5. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
(a) The clicking sound that Chase makes while repairing his boat.
(b) The whale is territorial and protecting its waters.
(c) The yelling of the men while attempting to kill another whale.
(d) The boat's attack on other whales that are observed by the large whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
2. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
3. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
4. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
5. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)