|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 16.
(b) December 17.
(c) December 18.
(d) December 19.
2. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Two days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
3. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
(a) They are eating saltwater-damaged bread.
(b) They have run out of the freshwater.
(c) They are in the sun for long periods of time.
(d) They are spending energy repairing their boat.
4. According to one naval architect, what might have helped the Essex withstand the whale's attack?
(a) If the boat was new.
(b) If the boat was smaller.
(c) If the boat was bigger.
(d) Nothing could have helped it.
5. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Over a thousand.
(b) Less than five hundred.
(c) Over two thousand.
(d) Five hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the loading of the Essex begin?
2. How many whaleboats are loaded onto the Essex in Chapter 1?
3. How are sailors paid?
4. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)