|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
2. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) A knife.
(b) A harpoon.
(c) An oar.
(d) A lance.
3. What allows a sperm whale the ability to survive a head on collision with a boat?
(a) It's tail acts as a stabilizer to minimize the impact.
(b) It's body is designed to absorb tremendous shock.
(c) It's head is shaped like a battering ram.
(d) It's speed makes it impervious to the impact.
4. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
(a) Stronger winds.
(b) Weaker winds.
(c) Another whale.
(d) Another whale ship.
5. How many miles west of the Galapagos is the Essex on November 2, 1820?
(a) Less than five hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Over a thousand.
(d) Over two thousand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are sailors paid?
2. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
3. What happens when Chase's boat attempts to approach a whale on November 16?
4. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
5. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)