|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On December 13, how many nautical miles do the men think they are away from reaching the light variable winds they need?
(a) At least three hundred.
(b) Less than one hundred.
(c) Less than two hundred.
(d) At least four hundred.
2. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) At Buenos Aires.
(b) After Buenos Aires.
(c) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(d) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
3. In 1810, how many women over the age of twenty- three are widowed?
(a) Over half.
(b) Almost half.
(c) Almost a quarter.
(d) Over a quarter.
4. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Smaller food portions.
(b) Less sleep time.
(c) More chores on the ship.
(d) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
5. When is land finally spotted at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) December 19.
(b) December 16.
(c) December 17.
(d) December 18.
Short Answer Questions
1. Compared to the other seventy Nantucket whale ships, how is the Essex considered?
2. How long is the huge whale that appears off the port bow in Chapter 5?
3. What do scholars speculate might have caused the whale to attack the Essex?
4. When does Pollard's boat disappear in Chapter 8?
5. If the Essex returns with sufficient product, how much money is Thomas Nickerson expecting to make from the trip?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)