Two Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not taken by the crew as the Essex sinks in Chapter 5?
2. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
3. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) More chores on the ship.
(b) Smaller food portions.
(c) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(d) Less sleep time.
4. What do the men in Chase's boat discover attached to the bottom of it on December 14?
5. Why does Chase hesitate to attack the giant whale when it resurfaces on the starboard after the collision?
(a) He is ordered to halt by Pollard.
(b) There are no weapons nearby.
(c) He is worried the tail will destroy the steering device.
(d) He is afraid because of the size of the whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did English settlers begin arriving in Nantucket?
2. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
3. Why is it difficult for the men to row in Chapter 8?
4. What causes Chase's boat to get a hole in it as they approach another whale on November 20?
5. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)