|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Smaller food portions.
(b) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(c) Less sleep time.
(d) More chores on the ship.
2. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
(a) Another whale.
(b) Stronger winds.
(c) Another whale ship.
(d) Weaker winds.
3. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
(b) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(c) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
(d) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
4. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(b) This is his third whaling trip.
(c) He has over ten years of experience.
(d) He is a novice.
5. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
(a) They throw their provisions overboard.
(b) They attempt to punch the whale.
(c) They jump overboard.
(d) They attempt to stab the whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
2. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
3. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
4. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
5. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)