|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
2. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) After Buenos Aires.
(b) At Buenos Aires.
(c) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(d) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
3. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
(b) A substantial amount.
(c) Very little.
(d) A moderate amount.
4. Which direction is Chase's boat floating in Chapter 11?
5. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) He is a novice.
(b) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(c) This is his third whaling trip.
(d) He has over ten years of experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
2. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
3. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
4. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
5. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)