|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) One mile.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) Ten feet.
(d) One foot.
2. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
(a) They are eating saltwater-damaged bread.
(b) They are in the sun for long periods of time.
(c) They have run out of the freshwater.
(d) They are spending energy repairing their boat.
3. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Five days.
4. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) A knife.
(b) A lance.
(c) A harpoon.
(d) An oar.
5. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
(a) They attempt to stab the whale.
(b) They attempt to punch the whale.
(c) They jump overboard.
(d) They throw their provisions overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood of the men on November 26?
2. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
3. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
4. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
5. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)