|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Six slices of bread.
(b) Six slices of cheese.
(c) Eight slices of cheese.
(d) Eight slices of bread.
2. Where is the first whale spotted in Chapter 3?
(a) Halfway between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires.
(b) At Buenos Aires.
(c) Just before Rio De Janeiro.
(d) After Buenos Aires.
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. Who is in Pollard's boat towards the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Ray and Ramsdell, but not Coffin.
(b) Coffin and Ramsdell, but not Ray.
(c) Coffin and Ray, but not Ramsdell.
(d) Coffin, Ramsdell, and Ray.
5. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(b) A mate and oarsmen.
(c) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(d) A mate and a boat steerer.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
2. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
3. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
4. On January 26, how many men are in Chase's boat?
5. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)