|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Two thousand and one hundred miles.
(b) Eight hundred and forty miles.
(c) One thousand one hundred miles.
(d) Fourteen hundred and eighty miles.
2. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) He has over ten years of experience.
(b) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(c) This is his third whaling trip.
(d) He is a novice.
3. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
(a) Ten feet.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) One mile.
(d) One foot.
4. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three months.
5. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
2. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
3. How do the men on Pollard's boat respond to the whale's attack?
4. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
5. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)