|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket speeder.
(b) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(c) Nantucket drag along.
(d) Nantucket pull through.
2. How does Pollard initially respond to the suggestion of drawing a lot in Chapter 11?
(a) He threatens the person that suggests it.
(b) He refuses to listen to it.
(c) He is skeptical, but agrees to listen.
(d) He thinks that it is a good idea.
3. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) A harpoon.
(b) A lance.
(c) An oar.
(d) A knife.
4. In what direction does the wind shift, allowing the boats to sail towards Peru?
5. How experienced is Benjamin Lawrence in harpooning whales?
(a) This is his fourth whaling trip.
(b) He is a novice.
(c) This is his third whaling trip.
(d) He has over ten years of experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is causing the thirst of the men on Chase's boat to become even worse in Chapter 7?
2. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. How far away from the first whale sighted do the men position themselves in the boats?
5. After being separated from Hendricks' boat, how far from the coast of South America is Pollard?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)