|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in Chapter 3, what does each whale boat contain?
(a) A boatsteerer and oarsmen.
(b) A mate, a boat steerer, and oarsmen.
(c) A mate and a boat steerer.
(d) A mate and oarsmen.
2. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) A half pint.
(b) A quarter pint.
(c) Three-quarters of a pint.
(d) A pint.
3. What is the equivalent of the amount of food that each man is given in order to ration it for the trip?
(a) Six slices of bread.
(b) Six slices of cheese.
(c) Eight slices of bread.
(d) Eight slices of cheese.
4. How far away in sailing distance from the Essex is the Offshore Ground in Chapter 7?
(a) Two days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Three days.
5. As the frustrations grow on the Essex, what complaint do the men bring to Pollard at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Unfair treatment by the first and second mate.
(b) Smaller food portions.
(c) Less sleep time.
(d) More chores on the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea is it to stop keeping track of the longitude in Chapter 7?
2. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
3. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
4. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
5. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)