|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which direction is Chase's boat floating in Chapter 11?
2. Due to starvation and lack of clothes, what illness are the men vulnerable to in the cold rain?
3. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
4. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
5. What is the name given to the event of a harpooned whale dragging a boat at high speeds?
(a) Nantucket pull through.
(b) Nantucket sleigh ride.
(c) Nantucket speeder.
(d) Nantucket drag along.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the crew hoping for as they enter the Offshore Grounds?
2. How common was cannibalism among sailors that are shipwrecked during the time the book takes place?
3. After seventeen days in the boats, how far have the men sailed at the end of Chapter 7?
4. How is the whale towed back to the ship after it is killed in Chapter 3?
5. What discovery does the crew make on November 26?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)