|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what night do Pollard's boat and Hendricks' boat become separated?
(a) February 1.
(b) January 29.
(c) February 2.
(d) January 28.
2. When the men are close enough to attack the whale, what is used in order to pierce its vital organs?
(a) A lance.
(b) An oar.
(c) A harpoon.
(d) A knife.
3. How much water is each man given per day as the crew attempts to make it to land in Chapter 7?
(a) Three-quarters of a pint.
(b) A quarter pint.
(c) A half pint.
(d) A pint.
4. Before his first whale kill, how many large mammals did Nickerson kill on Nantucket?
(a) An average amount.
(b) Very few.
5. How long is it after avoiding the Society Islands in fear of cannibalism that the crew resorts to it for survival?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. After stopping at the Cape Verde Islands in Chapter 3, how many spare whale boats does the Essex now have?
2. How much evidence of favoritism is there by the Nantucketers in ensuring their survival?
3. How many whale boats does the crew of the Essex lose after the first encounter with two whales in Chapter 3?
4. How long is it in between whale sightings in Chapter 3?
5. Who is the first person chosen at the end of Chapter 11 when the lot is drawn?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)