• The Preface introduces the reasons for whaling in 1821 and the island community of Nantucket.
• Two men in a small boat are found by the crew of the Dauphin, and it is reported that only eight men have survived a terrible tragedy.
• Nantucket's background is given along with a description of the crew boarding the Essex and how their wages are calculated.
• Water, food, and supplies are loaded onto the Essex as it prepares to leave Nantucket and embark on the whaling trip.
• Captain Pollard, at age twenty- eight, is in control as the Essex sets sail from the docks of Nantucket, providing entertainment for the people there.
• The Essex experiences bad weather that damages the ship, and Pollard chooses to return to Nantucket. He is talked out of his decision by Chase.
• The first whale escapes with the help of...
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)