|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Messersmith's opinion of Ernst Hanfstaengl?
(a) He liked and trusted him.
(b) He liked him but didn't trust him,
(c) He didn't like him, but trusted him.
(d) He didn't like or trust him.
2. What was at Tiergartenstrasse 27a according to Chapter 10?
(a) Rhom's house.
(b) Dodd' new house.
(c) Martha's lover's house.
(d) Dr. Swenson's house.
3. What was Gleichschaltung's translation?
4. What did Messersmith know the new Ambassador had to have?
(a) A good poker face.
(c) A good grasp of the German situation.
(d) A forceful character.
5. How did George S. Messersmith feel in his campaign?
(b) Supported by the Ambassador.
(c) Supported by the State Department.
(d) Supported by the Amrican public.
6. What feeling did William E. Dodd have towards Messersmith that was mutual?
(a) He was avoiding him.
(b) He was perplexed about him.
(c) He hated him.
(d) He liked him.
7. What was George S. Messersmith's campaign?
(a) Get American investments for Germany.
(b) Warn the world about Hitler.
(c) Protect the Jews of Germany.
(d) Try to befriend Hitler to avoid war.
8. When was Chapter 1 taking place?
9. What was Mildred Fish Harnack a representative of?
(a) American Women's Club.
(b) The Republican party.
(c) The Nazi Party of America.
(d) The Red Cross.
10. What was Joseph Schachno's profession?
11. Who did William E. Dodd meet with before going to Germany?
(a) A group of Jewish leaders.
(b) A group of Generals.
(c) A group of diplomats.
(d) A group of politicians.
12. When did Frederic M. Sackett leave his post as U.S. Ambassador in Germany?
(b) March 1933.
(d) April 1933.
13. What clause precluded the Jews from taking government jobs?
(a) The Hitler Clause.
(b) The Aryan Clause.
(c) The Jew Clause.
(d) The Himmler clause.
14. When did the Introduction take place?
15. What was Captain Rohm commanding?
(a) The SS.
(b) The Storm Troopers.
(c) The 2nd Infantry regiment of the Reich army.
(d) The Police Reich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was George S. Messersmith's position?
2. How did Martha see Hitler according to Chapter 5?
3. Who was president of Germany when Dodd took office?
4. Where was Edgar Mowrer transferred to in Chapter 9?
5. What was Alfred Panofsky's occupation?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)