|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a smell present within Håkan's jail cell?
2. From what cause does Asa perish?
3. What is NOT an action Håkan takes when he is finally allowed to help the injured boy?
4. In what part of Håkan's body is he bitten by a snake?
5. Håkan is adamant when he tells Asa what information?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event leads to Håkan's first experience of an emotion "other than pain and guilt" (140) since the killings?
2. What does Hakan observe about Jarvis's reputation among the caravan's members?
3. How does the theme of grief enter the narrative when Håkan attempts to buy a certain item from members of the caravan?
4. How does Håkan feel when he discovers a rocking chair in the middle of the wilderness?
5. Why are the onlookers at the wagon accident at first unwilling to accept Håkan's help?
6. Who is Jarvis?
7. Describe the way in which Håkan views the event he consistently calls "the killings" (130) throughout the narrative.
8. For what reason does Håkan miss his first sign that he may be in danger when he reaches his first town since the killings?
9. How is the theme of violence portrayed within the sheriff's interaction with Håkan?
10. For what purpose does Diaz employ character foils within Håkan's period of captivity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine the ways in which Diaz’s novel In the Distance displays the characteristics of the literary style of Naturalism.
Essay Topic 2
What is the function of Asa's character within the novel? Discuss the characterization methods used by Diaz in depicting Asa and include in your discussion the reasons that Diaz portrays Asa in these particular ways.
Essay Topic 3
Look carefully at the passages of In the Distance that describe the close relationships between Håkan and his various mentors within the narrative. What is Diaz’s purpose for portraying three characters as different as James Brennan, Lorimer, and Asa in the roles of Håkan’s mentors?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)