|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Håkan leaves the store, he encounters how many armed men in the street?
2. What is the one commodity Håkan deems to be generally impossible to buy in America?
3. How many people does Håkan kill before he sees men climbing into the wagon where Helen and her brother are staying?
4. After leaving the canons, Håkan decides to build his shelter in what location?
(a) In a forest.
(c) In a tree.
(d) Next to a river.
5. Håkan discovers that Jarvis had been elected captain of the caravan after promising many people what reward?
Short Answer Questions
1. The sheriff announces that Håkan will undergo what punishment for his crimes after being paraded through the countryside?
2. Håkan is about to leave the store in town when he sees what kind of visual representation of his own face on the wall?
3. The men who gain access to the caravan under false pretenses use what types of disguises?
4. How does Håkan retrieve the item he leaves in the village by mistake?
5. Which of Håkan's five senses alerts him to the close proximity of "civilization" (107)?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what purpose does Diaz employ character foils within Håkan's period of captivity?
2. Who is Jarvis?
3. What event leads to Håkan's first experience of an emotion "other than pain and guilt" (140) since the killings?
4. In what way is the sheriff's corruption the key to Håkan's freedom?
5. What item does Håkan attempt to procure from the people traveling in the caravan train and what is the outcome?
6. During the period of time when Håkan travels with the help of a burro and a horse, how does he view his goal destination of New York City?
7. Which of the five senses does Håkan most strongly associate with the presence of humans?
8. What characteristic of Asa makes a deep impression on Håkan?
9. Describe an instance when a literary device is used in conjunction with the motif of violence.
10. What does Hakan observe about Jarvis's reputation among the caravan's members?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)