|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Asa brings Håkan what two items from the medical box?
(a) A poultice and a tincture.
(b) Iodine and a tincture.
(c) Salve and iodine.
(d) Salve and a tincture.
2. How "many mornings" after the caravan boy's accident does Jarvis announce the caravan will be taking a "cutoff" (125)?
(a) 3 or 4.
(b) 1 or 2.
(c) 2 or 3.
(d) 5 or 6.
3. What animal does Håkan describe as having a head completely out of proportion with its body?
(a) A tortoise.
(b) A musk ox.
(c) A buffalo.
(d) A roadrunner.
4. Jarvis is particularly interested in which aspect of Håkan's past?
(a) Håkan's childhood in Sweden.
(b) The Clangston woman.
(c) The location of Pingo's corpse.
(d) Håkan's violent acts.
5. What is NOT an action Håkan takes when he is finally allowed to help the injured boy?
(a) He cleanses the wound.
(b) He cauterizes the wound.
(c) He puts leeches on the wound.
(d) He sews up the wound.
6. Jarvis proudly shows Håkan his pistol that shoots how many bullets without a reload?
7. While most of the travelers in the caravan look at Håkan with "mute curiosity," (108) a few of them snicker at what aspect of his appearance?
(a) His filth.
(b) His size.
(c) His youth.
(d) His outfit.
8. What part of Asa's body becomes severely injured in a fall?
(a) His hip.
(b) His leg.
(c) His collarbone.
(d) His arm.
9. Håkan wears a coat anchored by the hide of what animal?
(a) A moose.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A bear.
(d) A musk ox.
10. What two items does Håkan want to buy when he enters a store in the town?
(a) Boots and a saddle.
(b) Boots and pants.
(c) A belt buckle and a belt.
(d) A saddle and spurs.
11. A number of blocks into Håkan's walk into a town, the people begin to behave in what new way?
(a) They begin to chatter incessantly.
(b) They begin to seek refuge from him.
(c) They begin to stare at him.
(d) They begin to arm themselves.
12. Håkan decides that the likeness of himself must have what explanation?
(a) The apparent similarity is only a coincidence.
(b) He is legendary in this community as well.
(c) He must have family in the area.
(d) The artist is unskilled.
13. Håkan's experience being bitten by a snake causes him to discover that he fears what element?
(a) The unknown.
14. What is the one commodity Håkan deems to be generally impossible to buy in America?
15. What type of food do the Indians provide to Håkan after they invite him into a lodge?
(a) Roasted boar.
(b) Roasted fish.
(c) Fry bread.
(d) Roasted buffalo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Håkan give to the Indians in return for their kindness?
2. Chapter 15 sees Håkan renew his commitment to what goal?
3. What action does Jarvis take the first time he and Håkan meet?
4. Asa tells Håkan that the two of them will eventually set sail from what city toward New York City?
5. Who makes Håkan's escape from a death sentence possible?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)