|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The prologue of In the Distance takes place in the same time frame as what other section of the novel?
(a) The 14th chapter.
(b) The epigraph.
(c) The epilogue.
(d) The end of the novel.
2. Who releases Håkan from his restrained position inside the covered wagon?
3. The men in the prologue are aboard what type of ship?
(a) A passenger schooner.
(b) A passenger liner.
(c) A commercial liner.
(d) A freight schooner.
4. In what port does Håkan's ship finally dock once it reaches the United States?
(c) New York City.
(d) San Francisco.
5. The novel's prologue depicts a group of men aboard a ship with what name?
(a) The Unspeakable.
(b) The Impeccable.
(c) The Unsinkable.
(d) The Unpredictable.
6. At one point when Håkan is feverish and delusional, he awakens next to what type of dead animal?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A dog.
(c) A duck.
(d) A bear.
7. A convoy from what location arrives in order to threaten the Brennans if they do not give up their mine and flee?
(b) Kansas City.
(c) San Francisco.
8. In which direction does Håkan travel after escaping from the clutches of the woman in Clangston?
9. How does Håkan acquire Pingo?
(a) Håkan finds Pingo in the wild.
(b) Pingo is given as a gift to Håkan.
(c) Håkan buys Pingo.
(d) Håkan steals Pingo.
10. Who directs the preparation of the medicine to heal the person ill with fever?
11. When Håkan regains consciousness after his period of feverish wandering, he finds himself in what state inside a covered wagon?
(a) Tied down.
12. The narrator refers to the man at the head of the nefarious convoy by using what term?
(c) Fat man.
13. What substance does Håkan use to protect his skin from the sun?
(a) Dried jerky.
(b) Dried leaves.
(c) Dried mud.
(d) Dried blood.
14. How long is the longest tooth in Lorimer's new collection?
(a) As long as a sturdy nail.
(b) As long as Lorimer's palm.
(c) As long as Håkan's palm.
(d) As long as a stick of butter.
15. What job had James Brennan held prior to launching an expedition in the United States?
(b) Tavern owner.
(d) Coal miner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Håkan fears that what element will result in the deaths of the convoy members?
2. In what country is Håkan born?
3. What element of weather leads to the men's predicament of being stranded?
4. The first ship boarded by Linus and Håkan is on its way to what location?
5. Håkan and his brother Linus use what type of abandoned structures as places to play?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)