Prologue and Chapters 1-4
• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Diaz, Hernan. In the Distance. Coffee House Press, 2017. Print.
• The events of the novel’s prologue begin just after the events of the main narrative end.
• The prologue opens in the icy ocean near Alaska.
• A freight schooner called the Impeccable is momentarily stranded in the frozen waters.
• Håkan Soderstrom, a Swedish immigrant and member of the crew, takes an ice bath in the waters.
• The other crew members talk about Håkan, referring to him as “the Hawk” (4).
• Håkan seems to be a semi-legendary figure, and the crew members speak of his various rumored, outlandish exploits.
• Håkan boards the ship.
• He is extremely tall, but his manner seems gentle.
• He has overheard the men, and he sits down to tell them his true story.
• Chapter 1 begins at...
This section contains 2,790 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)