|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Abbott reference in this chapter?
2. What does Abbott say guilt is a matter of?
3. How does Abbott claim guards instigate violence in prison?
4. In what state was a black farmer fined for double parking?
5. Who does Abbott identify as the two Communist superpowers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbott say about American justice?
2. What does Abbott say about simple things?
3. How does prison blacken men's hearts?
4. Why does Abbott say he wishes for instability in the East?
5. How does prison encourage racism?
6. Why does Abbott consider Alexander Solzhenitsyn a traitor?
7. Why does Abbott say he admires Russia?
8. What was Marx's views on capital punishment?
9. Why does Abbott not like the prisoner who denounces sex, drink and drugs?
10. What is Abbott's opinion on freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Abbott think rehabilitation rather than punishment is the key to curing prisoners? How could you criticize Abbott's view?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Gary Gilmore and why does Abbott talk about him in his letters? Why does Abbott feel able to distance himself from Gilmore's crimes and beliefs?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)