|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say happens to men's hearts in prison?
2. What does Abbott call the problems his pen pal suffers from?
3. Why does Abbott think Gilmore is asking for the death penalty?
4. What kind of people does Abbott say the Vietnam Veterans killed?
5. What drug does Abbott say helps him to think about philosophical matters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first incident of racism Abbott experienced during his time away from prison?
2. Why does Abbott say he admires Russia?
3. What does Communist philosophy say about prejudice?
4. Why does Abbott think Gilmore insists on the death penalty?
5. Why does Abbott think Gilmore feels guilty about his crimes?
6. Why does Abbott say he wishes for instability in the East?
7. What does Abbott say about Stendhal's novel, THE RED AND THE BLACK?
8. Why does Abbott think Vietnam veterans should feel shame for their part in the Vietnam War?
9. Why does Abbott not like the prisoner who denounces sex, drink and drugs?
10. How does prison blacken men's hearts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Abbott think rehabilitation rather than punishment is the key to curing prisoners? How could you criticize Abbott's view?
Essay Topic 2
How has prison torture affected Abbott? How have laws changed since? Why was such punishment deemed as unhelpful for the prison environment?
Essay Topic 3
What are Abbott's political beliefs and how do you think these beliefs developed? Considering he has spent all his life in prison, how legitimate are Abbott's beliefs?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)