|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the restaurant do with the young man's food?
2. What does Abbott think communists fight for?
3. What does Abbott claim every Communist revolution brings the world closer to?
4. What was the name of the town's dance hall Abbott was passing through?
5. What people does Abbott say are the targets in American prisons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does prison blacken men's hearts?
2. What does Abbott think about Gary Gilmore?
3. What does Abbott believe is his higher calling?
4. What does Abbott say about Stendhal's novel, THE RED AND THE BLACK?
5. What does Abbott think Cuba needs?
6. Why does Abbott consider Alexander Solzhenitsyn a traitor?
7. What does Abbott say about Communist revolution?
8. Why does Abbott liken the prison system to liking a dog?
9. Why does Abbott say he admires Russia?
10. What does Abbott say about American justice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Abbott's upbringing? How much was it responsible for his incarceration?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Gary Gilmore and why does Abbott talk about him in his letters? Why does Abbott feel able to distance himself from Gilmore's crimes and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
What is supersanity? Why does Abbott think supersanity is so conducive to deep thinking?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)