|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Red and Black's protagonist?
2. What does Abbott say is the form of the truth from a certain view point?
3. What does Abbott say ex-prisoners can never get honestly?
4. Whose writings does Abbott say he supports?
5. What people does Abbott say are the targets in American prisons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbot state are his reasons for taking heroin and marijuana?
2. What does Abbott think Cuba needs?
3. Why does Abbott think Gilmore insists on the death penalty?
4. Why does Abbott say he admires Russia?
5. Why does Abbott think Vietnam veterans should feel shame for their part in the Vietnam War?
6. Why does Abbott liken the prison system to liking a dog?
7. What does Abbott think about Gary Gilmore?
8. How does Abbott link prejudice to testing?
9. How does prison blacken men's hearts?
10. Why does Abbott say he lost interest in his female pen pal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would Abbott cope in the outside world? How do you think conditions in prison could be changed to help socialize the inmates better?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is supersanity? Why does Abbott think supersanity is so conducive to deep thinking?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)