|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Red and Black's protagonist?
2. What does Abbott say men view each other as in American society?
3. Who did Blackie demand enter the the prison?
4. What was the name of the criminal Mailer wrote about in the Executioner's Song?
5. What does Abbott say he uses heroin for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbott say about simple things?
2. Why does Abbott think Gilmore feels guilty about his crimes?
3. How does prison encourage racism?
4. Why does Abbott not like the prisoner who denounces sex, drink and drugs?
5. How does Abbott link prejudice to testing?
6. What is Abbott's opinion on freedom?
7. How does prison blacken men's hearts?
8. What does Abbott believe is his higher calling?
9. Why does Abbott think Gilmore insists on the death penalty?
10. What does Abbot state are his reasons for taking heroin and marijuana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Marx's view on capital punishment? What examples can you think of that either go against or back up his claim? What are your own opinions on capital punishment?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Gary Gilmore and why does Abbott talk about him in his letters? Why does Abbott feel able to distance himself from Gilmore's crimes and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
What is supersanity? Why does Abbott think supersanity is so conducive to deep thinking?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)