|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say is the form of the truth from a certain view point?
2. Who does Abbott say American democracy is slanted against?
3. Who does Abbott believe killed Blackie?
4. What does Abbott say Americans have a hunger for?
5. Why was an autopsy never performed on Blackie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Blackie try to expose the prison system?
2. Why does Abbott liken the prison system to liking a dog?
3. What is Abbott's opinion on religion?
4. What was Marx's views on capital punishment?
5. What was the second incident of racism Abbott experienced during his time away from prison?
6. Why does Abbott think Gilmore insists on the death penalty?
7. What does Communist philosophy say about prejudice?
8. How does prison encourage racism?
9. Why does Abbott say he admires Russia?
10. Why does Abbott not like the prisoner who denounces sex, drink and drugs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Gary Gilmore and why does Abbott talk about him in his letters? Why does Abbott feel able to distance himself from Gilmore's crimes and beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Why has murder become commonplace in prison? How can the authorities stop such violence occurring in prisons?
Essay Topic 3
How has reading and studying changed Abbott as a person? What kind of person do you think he would have become if he had a proper education?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)