|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott mock Vietnam Veterans for being?
2. What science does Abbott say intelligence tests are the product of?
3. Who does Abbott say China's army is composed of?
4. Which author does Abbott reference in this section?
5. Why does Abbott think Gilmore is asking for the death penalty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbott think Vietnam veterans should feel shame for their part in the Vietnam War?
2. What is Abbott's opinion of American society?
3. Why does Abbott think Gilmore insists on the death penalty?
4. What was Marx's views on capital punishment?
5. What does Abbott believe is his higher calling?
6. Why does Abbott say he lost interest in his female pen pal?
7. What was the second incident of racism Abbott experienced during his time away from prison?
8. Why does Abbott say he supports Communism?
9. What does Abbott say about Stendhal's novel, THE RED AND THE BLACK?
10. How does prison blacken men's hearts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Gary Gilmore and why does Abbott talk about him in his letters? Why does Abbott feel able to distance himself from Gilmore's crimes and beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Why did so many people in American prisons take up the principles of Communism? How did the Communists take adavantage of this?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does power play a big part in prison relationships? How has Abbott managed to maintain his own power and what does this say about how prison has molded him as a person?^
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)