|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Abbott identify as the two Communist superpowers?
2. Who does Abbott say are the only people able to cut through prejudice?
3. How did the police deal with the black farmer when he threatened them?
4. What does Abbott say drugs are his antidote to?
5. Why does Abbott say he would like to understand Gilmore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbott think Gilmore feels guilty about his crimes?
2. Why does Abbott say he supports Communism?
3. Why does Abbott say he lost interest in his female pen pal?
4. What is Abbott's opinion on religion?
5. What was Marx's views on capital punishment?
6. What is Abbott's opinion on freedom?
7. Why does Abbott say he admires Russia?
8. What does Abbott say about simple things?
9. Why does Abbott consider Alexander Solzhenitsyn a traitor?
10. What does Abbott say about American justice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Abbott think rehabilitation rather than punishment is the key to curing prisoners? How could you criticize Abbott's view?
Essay Topic 2
What is Abbott's relationship with Mailer and why do the students he feels free to talk him like he does? How did their relationship develop after the book was published?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Abbott feel it is important to choose sides? What problems occur from people choosing one side over the other? Are these problems apparent in Abbott's own life?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)