|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbot like to do when he is in solitary confinement?
2. What does Abbott say he did in 1971?
3. What does Abbott think are treated better than people in the hole?
4. Who was Abbott once falsely accused of stabbing?
5. What does Abbott think theory must be studied in absence of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the policeman mentality?
2. What does Abbott say about paranoia in this chapter?
3. What does Abbott say about the noise in a prison?
4. What does Abbott say about homosexuality in prison?
5. How does Abbott feel when he returns from prison life to solitary confinement?
6. Why is murder so common in prison?
7. What does Abbott say about revolution at the end of the chapter?
8. How does Abbott compare prison to a bull ring and the prisoner to a bull?
9. What does Abbott say the prisoners have in common?
10. How do his fellow inmates save Abbott from starvation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Abbott's upbringing? How much was it responsible for his incarceration?
Essay Topic 2
What is Abbott's relationship with Mailer and why do the students he feels free to talk him like he does? How did their relationship develop after the book was published?
Essay Topic 3
What does Abbott think is wrong with America? In what way could his views be described as limited? Is there any validity to his claims?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)