|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbot like to do when he is in solitary confinement?
2. What does Abbott comapre the noise one hears inside a prison to?
3. What city did Abbott escape to?
4. What did James say we do not do because we are sad?
5. What does Abbott think are treated better than people in the hole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbott say he continuously violates prison rules?
2. How does Abbott fight the tedium of solitary confinement?
3. How does Abbott feel when he returns from prison life to solitary confinement?
4. Why does Abbott describe X's death as a mercy killing?
5. Why does Abbott say Pigs are so dangerous?
6. What does Abbott say about the noise in a prison?
7. Why is murder so common in prison?
8. How did the guards treat Abbott's claustrophobia?
9. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
10. What is supersanity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
How would Abbott cope in the outside world? How do you think conditions in prison could be changed to help socialize the inmates better?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Abbott refuse to give into the authorities? How does it affect his time in prison and his chances of release?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)