|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Abbott say strikes him as beautiful when he is out of solitary?
2. What did Abbott eat in addition to his starvation diet?
3. What does Abbott say he thought was crushing him?
4. What was the only part of his body that X could move?
5. What does Abbott say intelligence becomes if it is robbed of actual experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Striker?
2. Why does Abbott say Pigs are so dangerous?
3. What does Abbott say about his early life?
4. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
5. Why does Abbott describe X's death as a mercy killing?
6. What does Abbott say about the noise in a prison?
7. How does Abbott feel when he returns from prison life to solitary confinement?
8. What crimes does Abbott say he committed?
9. What is supersanity?
10. Why does Abbott compare the Hole to a coffin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Abbott's upbringing? How much was it responsible for his incarceration?
Essay Topic 2
What does Abbott think is wrong with America? In what way could his views be described as limited? Is there any validity to his claims?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)