|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott liken the experience of a being in a black cell to?
2. How did the guards try to control Abbott's claustrophobia?
3. What does Abbott say he finds painful and angering to look into?
4. What is the name of the punk Abbott refers to in this chapter?
5. Where does Abbott claim he has spent days lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the policeman mentality?
2. How does Abbott feel when he returns from prison life to solitary confinement?
3. What does Abbott say about his early life?
4. What is life like for Abbott in solitary confinement at the juvenile center?
5. How do his fellow inmates save Abbott from starvation?
6. Why does Abbott compare the Hole to a coffin?
7. What is psyche pain?
8. How does Abbott compare prison to a bull ring and the prisoner to a bull?
9. What was Abbott's time like at the Butner North Carolina Federal Correctional Institution?
10. What does Abbott say about revolution at the end of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Abbott think is wrong with America? In what way could his views be described as limited? Is there any validity to his claims?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Abbott think rehabilitation rather than punishment is the key to curing prisoners? How could you criticize Abbott's view?
Essay Topic 3
What is Abbott's relationship with Mailer and why do the students he feels free to talk him like he does? How did their relationship develop after the book was published?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)