|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say he was sent to prison to become?
2. Who is Abbott writing to?
3. What does Abbott condemn every government employee of the prison system as?
4. What did Abbott do to conserve energy during his starvation diet?
5. What does Abbott say he forgot while in his hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a punk?
2. What happened to Abbott when he tried to run away from the juvenile center?
3. What does Abbott say about revolution at the end of the chapter?
4. What is supersanity?
5. Why does Abbott compare the Hole to a coffin?
6. What crimes does Abbott say he committed?
7. Why does Abbott describe X's death as a mercy killing?
8. Why does Abbott say Pigs are so dangerous?
9. What is life like for Abbott in solitary confinement at the juvenile center?
10. How does Abbott fight the tedium of solitary confinement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why has murder become commonplace in prison? How can the authorities stop such violence occurring in prisons?
Essay Topic 3
How has prison torture affected Abbott? How have laws changed since? Why was such punishment deemed as unhelpful for the prison environment?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)