|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say sex acts are demonstrations of?
2. What did Abbott eat in addition to his starvation diet?
3. What does Abbott say becomes reality while in solitary confinement?
4. What does Abbott condemn every government employee of the prison system as?
5. What drug is Abbott give to stop him from hallucinating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbott describe X's death as a mercy killing?
2. How does Abbott feel when he returns from prison life to solitary confinement?
3. Why does Abbott say he continuously violates prison rules?
4. Why does Abbott say Pigs are so dangerous?
5. What is the policeman mentality?
6. What crimes does Abbott say he committed?
7. How does Abbott compare prison to a bull ring and the prisoner to a bull?
8. What does Abbott say about the noise in a prison?
9. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
10. What was Abbott's time like at the Butner North Carolina Federal Correctional Institution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does power play a big part in prison relationships? How has Abbott managed to maintain his own power and what does this say about how prison has molded him as a person?^
Essay Topic 2
What was Abbott's upbringing? How much was it responsible for his incarceration?
Essay Topic 3
What is Abbott's relationship with Mailer and why do the students he feels free to talk him like he does? How did their relationship develop after the book was published?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)