|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott compare the hole to?
2. What did Abbott eat in addition to his starvation diet?
3. What does Abbott say he suffered from for four years?
4. What is the name of the author Abbott references at the end of the chapter?
5. What does Abbot like to do when he is in solitary confinement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Abbott's time like at the Butner North Carolina Federal Correctional Institution?
2. What does Abbott say about his early life?
3. What happened to Striker?
4. What does Abbott say about homosexuality in prison?
5. What is psyche pain?
6. What does Abbott say the prisoners have in common?
7. What does Abbott say about revolution at the end of the chapter?
8. How does Abbott compare prison to a bull ring and the prisoner to a bull?
9. How does Abbott fight the tedium of solitary confinement?
10. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Abbott think democracy is so slanted against black people? In what way does Communist philosophy try to do away with such prejudice?
Essay Topic 2
What is Abbott's relationship with Mailer and why do the students he feels free to talk him like he does? How did their relationship develop after the book was published?
Essay Topic 3
In what could it be said that Abbott is institutionalized? What diffferent view does this give Abbott on life? What do you think society could from Abbott's views?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)