|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only part of his body that X could move?
2. What does Abbott say one must do to someone before they kill them?
3. What does Abbott say he had to do to urinate while in the Butner institution?
4. What happens to Abbott after twenty three days in the blackout cell?
5. What is the worst crime one can commit while in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbott describe X's death as a mercy killing?
2. What is a punk?
3. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
4. Why does Abbott say he admires Russia?
5. What does Abbott say about Stendhal's novel, THE RED AND THE BLACK?
6. What does Abbott say about paranoia in this chapter?
7. What crimes does Abbott say he committed?
8. What was it like to be in the blackout cell?
9. Why does Abbott compare the Hole to a coffin?
10. How does Abbott fight the tedium of solitary confinement?
Essay Topic 1
What is the human element in religion? Why can Abbott never believe in God despite his respect for people that do?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Gary Gilmore and why does Abbott talk about him in his letters? Why does Abbott feel able to distance himself from Gilmore's crimes and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
What are Abbott's political beliefs and how do you think these beliefs developed? Considering he has spent all his life in prison, how legitimate are Abbott's beliefs?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)