|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott call intelligence robbed of experience?
2. Who does Abbott say pigs don't have to answer to?
3. What was Abbott sent to Butner North Carolina Correctional Institute for?
4. What is a shiv?
5. What does the policeman mentality allow some humans to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbott describe X's death as a mercy killing?
2. Why does Abbott compare the Hole to a coffin?
3. Why does Abbott say he continuously violates prison rules?
4. Who are pigs?
5. What is the policeman mentality?
6. What does Abbott say about revolution at the end of the chapter?
7. What does Abbott say prison punishment is aimed at?
8. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
9. How do his fellow inmates save Abbott from starvation?
10. Why does Abbott say Pigs are so dangerous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Abbott think rehabilitation rather than punishment is the key to curing prisoners? How could you criticize Abbott's view?
Essay Topic 2
What is Marx's view on capital punishment? What examples can you think of that either go against or back up his claim? What are your own opinions on capital punishment?
Essay Topic 3
What does Abbott think is wrong with America? In what way could his views be described as limited? Is there any validity to his claims?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)