|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say a prison guard can do without consequence?
2. What are strip cells used for?
3. What is pruno?
4. Which of the following philosophers is Abbott particularly drawn to?
5. What city did Abbott escape to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Abbot try to survive the starvation diet?
2. What does Abbott say about the noise in a prison?
3. What is life like for Abbott in solitary confinement at the juvenile center?
4. How do his fellow inmates save Abbott from starvation?
5. What does Abbott say about homosexuality in prison?
6. What is supersanity?
7. What was Abbott's time like at the Butner North Carolina Federal Correctional Institution?
8. What does Abbott say about paranoia in this chapter?
9. What does Abbott say prison punishment is aimed at?
10. How did the guards treat Abbott's claustrophobia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is supersanity? Why does Abbott think supersanity is so conducive to deep thinking?
Essay Topic 2
How has reading and studying changed Abbott as a person? What kind of person do you think he would have become if he had a proper education?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Gary Gilmore and why does Abbott talk about him in his letters? Why does Abbott feel able to distance himself from Gilmore's crimes and beliefs?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)