|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say his lungs were burning with?
2. What does Abbott think are treated better than people in the hole?
3. What city did Abbott escape to?
4. Where does Abbott say he is marched to as a thirteen-year-old boy?
5. What does Abbott say becomes reality while in solitary confinement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbott compare the Hole to a coffin?
2. Why does Abbott consider Alexander Solzhenitsyn a traitor?
3. What does Abbott say about the noise in a prison?
4. What crimes does Abbott say he committed?
5. What is the policeman mentality?
6. What is supersanity?
7. How does Abbott link prejudice to testing?
8. What does Abbott say about Stendhal's novel, THE RED AND THE BLACK?
9. What does Abbott say about his early life?
10. What is life like for Abbott in solitary confinement at the juvenile center?
Essay Topic 1
What is supersanity? Why does Abbott think supersanity is so conducive to deep thinking?
Essay Topic 2
What are Abbott's political beliefs and how do you think these beliefs developed? Considering he has spent all his life in prison, how legitimate are Abbott's beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)