|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal does Abbott compare to an inmate?
2. What is a prisoner given once a day as part of the C-300 punishment?
3. What does Abbott think theory must be studied in absence of?
4. What does Abbott think are treated better than people in the hole?
5. Who does Abbott say he does not believe in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Abbott's opinion of American society?
2. What was the first incident of racism Abbott experienced during his time away from prison?
3. What does Abbot state are his reasons for taking heroin and marijuana?
4. What happened to Abbott when he tried to run away from the juvenile center?
5. Why does Abbott describe X's death as a mercy killing?
6. What does Abbott say prison punishment is aimed at?
7. What is life like for Abbott in solitary confinement at the juvenile center?
8. What was Abbott's time like at the Butner North Carolina Federal Correctional Institution?
9. What does Abbott say about American justice?
10. Why is murder so common in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Gary Gilmore and why does Abbott talk about him in his letters? Why does Abbott feel able to distance himself from Gilmore's crimes and beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
How has reading and studying changed Abbott as a person? What kind of person do you think he would have become if he had a proper education?
Essay Topic 3
What are Abbott's political beliefs and how do you think these beliefs developed? Considering he has spent all his life in prison, how legitimate are Abbott's beliefs?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)