|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say he pushed aside while in prison?
2. Where does Abbott say he is marched to as a thirteen-year-old boy?
3. What is the name of the poem Abbott recites in this chapter?
4. What does the policeman mentality allow some humans to do?
5. Who does Abbott say are the source of the guard's evil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abbott say he continuously violates prison rules?
2. How do his fellow inmates save Abbott from starvation?
3. What was Abbott's time like at the Butner North Carolina Federal Correctional Institution?
4. Why is murder so common in prison?
5. What is a punk?
6. What does Abbott say about homosexuality in prison?
7. What does Abbott say about his early life?
8. What does Abbott say about revolution at the end of the chapter?
9. Why does Abbott describe X's death as a mercy killing?
10. What does Abbott say about the noise in a prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does power play a big part in prison relationships? How has Abbott managed to maintain his own power and what does this say about how prison has molded him as a person?^
Essay Topic 2
Who was Gary Gilmore and why does Abbott talk about him in his letters? Why does Abbott feel able to distance himself from Gilmore's crimes and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
How would Abbott cope in the outside world? How do you think conditions in prison could be changed to help socialize the inmates better?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)