|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott think theory must be studied in absence of?
2. What was the only part of his body that X could move?
3. What two people did Abbott learn had died during his time in the C-300 cell?
4. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
5. What does Abbott claim he contracted in institutions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbott say about homosexuality in prison?
2. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
3. How do his fellow inmates save Abbott from starvation?
4. What happened to Abbott when he tried to run away from the juvenile center?
5. What does Abbott say about revolution at the end of the chapter?
6. What does Abbott say about paranoia in this chapter?
7. What is life like for Abbott in solitary confinement at the juvenile center?
8. Why does Abbott describe X's death as a mercy killing?
9. How did Abbot try to survive the starvation diet?
10. What is supersanity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Abbott think is wrong with America? In what way could his views be described as limited? Is there any validity to his claims?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What are Abbott's political beliefs and how do you think these beliefs developed? Considering he has spent all his life in prison, how legitimate are Abbott's beliefs?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)