|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is pruno?
2. How did Striker kill himself?
3. What does Abbott compare the hole to?
4. Why was Abbott sent to the Utah State Penitentiary?
5. What does Abbott think theory must be studied in absence of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbott say about homosexuality in prison?
2. What does Abbott say about paranoia in this chapter?
3. Why does Abbott say he continuously violates prison rules?
4. What does Abbott say prison punishment is aimed at?
5. What was Abbott's time like at the Butner North Carolina Federal Correctional Institution?
6. What happened to Abbott when he tried to run away from the juvenile center?
7. What is life like for Abbott in solitary confinement at the juvenile center?
8. Why does Abbott describe X's death as a mercy killing?
9. What does Abbott say about the noise in a prison?
10. What does Abbott say about revolution at the end of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Abbott think rehabilitation rather than punishment is the key to curing prisoners? How could you criticize Abbott's view?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Gary Gilmore and why does Abbott talk about him in his letters? Why does Abbott feel able to distance himself from Gilmore's crimes and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
How has prison torture affected Abbott? How have laws changed since? Why was such punishment deemed as unhelpful for the prison environment?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)