|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the policeman mentality allow some humans to do?
2. What does Abbott say he suffered from for four years?
3. Which of the following philosophers is Abbott particularly drawn to?
4. What does Abbott say he dreamed about in his hotel room?
5. What does Abbott comapre the noise one hears inside a prison to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Abbott's time like at the Butner North Carolina Federal Correctional Institution?
2. How did Abbot try to survive the starvation diet?
3. Why does Abbott say he continuously violates prison rules?
4. What is the policeman mentality?
5. How does Abbott compare prison to a bull ring and the prisoner to a bull?
6. What does Abbott say about his early life?
7. Why does Abbott compare the Hole to a coffin?
8. What does Abbott say about paranoia in this chapter?
9. How does Abbott feel when he returns from prison life to solitary confinement?
10. How do his fellow inmates save Abbott from starvation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Abbott feel it is important to choose sides? What problems occur from people choosing one side over the other? Are these problems apparent in Abbott's own life?
Essay Topic 2
Why has murder become commonplace in prison? How can the authorities stop such violence occurring in prisons?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Abbott refuse to give into the authorities? How does it affect his time in prison and his chances of release?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)