|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott call the atmosphere in which the Pigs recruit?
2. What does Abbott think theory must be studied in absence of?
3. Who is the punk the slave to?
4. What does Abbott say prison has tried but failed to take away from him?
5. What does Abbott say prisoners live by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are pigs?
2. What is psyche pain?
3. Why does Abbott say he continuously violates prison rules?
4. What does Abbott say about his early life?
5. What is life like for Abbott in solitary confinement at the juvenile center?
6. What does Abbott say about revolution at the end of the chapter?
7. How does Abbott fight the tedium of solitary confinement?
8. Why does Abbott say Pigs are so dangerous?
9. Why does Abbott compare the Hole to a coffin?
10. What happened to Abbott when he tried to run away from the juvenile center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the human element in religion? Why can Abbott never believe in God despite his respect for people that do?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Abbott think democracy is so slanted against black people? In what way does Communist philosophy try to do away with such prejudice?
Essay Topic 3
Why has murder become commonplace in prison? How can the authorities stop such violence occurring in prisons?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)