|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Abbott think Gilmore is asking for the death penalty?
(a) He bears an inner guilt.
(b) He doesn't want to go to prison.
(c) He hates himself.
(d) He believes in the next life.
2. Who does Abbott say beat him up outside the dance hall in #152?
(a) A group of black men.
(b) A group of businessmen.
(c) A group of sailors.
(d) A group of mormons.
3. What does Abbott say the American prison does rather than rehabilitate?
(a) Create crime.
(b) Create hate.
4. What does Abbott say men view each other as in American society?
(c) Objects of exploitation.
(d) Objects of hate.
5. What do the guards claim happened to Blackie?
(a) He was moved to another prison.
(b) He hanged himself.
(c) He was set free.
(d) He shot himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say guilt is a matter of?
2. What does Abbott say America can steal from a person?
3. When did Blackie seize four guards as hostages?
4. What is the name of the prisoner Abbott recalls in this section?
5. What does Abbott say he admires about religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abbott link prejudice to testing?
2. Why does Abbott say he wishes for instability in the East?
3. What does Abbott say about Communist revolution?
4. What was the first incident of racism Abbott experienced during his time away from prison?
5. Why does Abbott think Gilmore feels guilty about his crimes?
6. What does Abbott think Cuba needs?
7. Why does Abbott say he lost interest in his female pen pal?
8. What does Abbott say about Stendhal's novel, THE RED AND THE BLACK?
9. How does prison blacken men's hearts?
10. What was the second incident of racism Abbott experienced during his time away from prison?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)