|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Red and Black's protagonist?
(a) Julien Sorel.
(b) Gordon Smith.
(d) Tom Ripley.
2. Why does Abbott say he would like to understand Gilmore?
(a) So he can understand himself.
(b) So he can write a book.
(c) So he can understand evil.
(d) So he can understand life.
3. How does Abbott claim guards instigate violence in prison?
(a) They pool people into racial groups.
(b) They put innocent people into solitary.
(c) They spit in prisoner's meals.
(d) They bully the weak.
4. What does Abbott say happens to men's hearts in prison?
(a) They shrivel.
(b) They rot.
(c) They blacken.
(d) They burst.
5. What country does Abbott say has the most oppressive regime on the planet?
6. Which country does Abbott not like to hear compared favorably with America?
7. Which country does Abbott say is Cuba's master?
8. What does Abbott say he admires about religion?
(a) The human element.
(b) The good stories.
(c) The evil.
(d) The moral code.
9. What is Abbott's pen pal's ambition?
(a) To become a criminologist.
(b) To become an actress.
(c) To become a lawyer.
(d) To become a housewife.
10. What does Abbott call the problems his pen pal suffers from?
11. Whose writings does Abbott say he supports?
12. Who does Abbott believe killed Blackie?
(a) The angels.
(d) A fellow inmate.
13. What does Abbott say guilt is a matter of?
(b) The heart.
(c) The state.
(d) The mind.
14. Why does Abbott think Gilmore is asking for the death penalty?
(a) He doesn't want to go to prison.
(b) He believes in the next life.
(c) He hates himself.
(d) He bears an inner guilt.
15. What does Abbott believes happens to the earliest revolutionaries?
(a) They are martyrs.
(b) They are murdered.
(c) They die unknown.
(d) They live uncomfortable lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say he is conflicted about?
2. What does Abbott say is his wider calling?
3. Who does Abbott say China's army is composed of?
4. How did the police deal with the black farmer when he threatened them?
5. What was the name of the criminal Mailer wrote about in the Executioner's Song?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)