|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
(a) Only convicts witness it.
(b) Most prisoners have never heard about the law.
(c) People have their different ideas of cruelty.
(d) It is the only way prisoners learn.
2. What does Abbott say is the usual murder weapon?
(a) A razor.
(b) A gun.
(c) A club.
(d) A knife.
3. What does Abbott call the gradual wearing away of healthy aspects of one's psychology?
4. What do Abbott's fellow inmates do to ensure Abbott's release from the the starvation diet?
(a) Take a guard hostage.
(b) Go on strike.
(c) Give Abbott their food.
(d) Break Abbott free.
5. What does Abbott say he suffered from for four years?
6. What does Abbott say he finds painful and angering to look into?
(a) A window.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A telescope.
(d) A microscope.
7. What does Abbott say he was sent to prison to become?
(a) A punk.
(b) A shifter.
(c) A worker.
(d) A writer.
8. Who does Abbott say pigs don't have to answer to?
(b) The government.
(d) The people.
9. What drug is Abbott give to stop him from hallucinating?
10. What does Abbott say he can't control?
(a) His anger.
(b) His tears.
(c) His writings.
(d) His fear.
11. What does Abbott say one must fight while in the hole?
(a) Mental illness.
(c) Thoughts of suicide.
(d) Routine and monotony.
12. What does Abbott comapre the noise one hears inside a prison to?
(a) A zoo.
(c) A mental hospital.
(d) The Senate.
13. Who is Abbott writing to?
(a) Patricia Highsmith.
(b) Truman Capote.
(c) Norman Mailer.
(d) Ernest Hemmingway.
14. What happens to Abbott after twenty three days in the blackout cell?
(a) He starts to hallucinate.
(b) He has a nervous breakdown.
(c) He has a heart attack.
(d) He has a seizure.
15. What does Abbott liken the experience of a being in a black cell to?
(a) Sleeping in a cave.
(b) Treading tar.
(c) Floating in space.
(d) Swimming in ink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is pruno?
2. What does Abbott say prisoners live by?
3. What does Abbott say policeman obey?
4. What is the name of the punk Abbott refers to in this chapter?
5. What does Abbott condemn every government employee of the prison system as?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)