|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abbott call all of the employees within the prison system?
2. What does Abbot say it is now routine for him to try to do?
(a) Escape prison.
(b) Think about his homeland.
(c) Abuse the guards.
(d) Write short stories.
3. What is the name of the author Abbott references at the end of the chapter?
(a) Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) William James.
(c) Henry James.
(d) Ernest Hemmingway.
4. What does Abbott say he can't control?
(a) His writings.
(b) His tears.
(c) His anger.
(d) His fear.
5. What does Abbott say his lungs were burning with?
(a) Fossil fuels.
(c) Warm air.
(d) Cold air.
6. What drug is Abbott give to stop him from hallucinating?
7. What does Abbott say one must fight while in the hole?
(a) Mental illness.
(b) Routine and monotony.
(c) Thoughts of suicide.
8. What does Abbot say is the natural result of prison violence?
9. What does Abbott claim he contracted in institutions?
10. Where does Abbott claim he has spent days lost?
(a) His past.
(b) His books.
(c) His cell.
(d) His head.
11. What does Abbott liken the experience of a being in a black cell to?
(a) Treading tar.
(b) Sleeping in a cave.
(c) Swimming in ink.
(d) Floating in space.
12. What do guards look upon prisoners as?
13. Who does Abbott say he does not believe in?
(a) The President.
14. What does Abbott think theory must be studied in absence of?
(b) Contact with other humans.
(c) Real-world experience.
15. What mentality does Abbott say the guards have?
(a) A policeman mentality.
(b) A god-fearing mentality.
(c) A capitalist mentality.
(d) A free world mentality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Abbott sent to the Utah State Penitentiary?
2. What does a starvation diet consist of?
3. Where does Abbott say he is marched to as a thirteen-year-old boy?
4. What does Abbott say he is amazed of the feel of when he is out of solitary?
5. What are strip cells used for?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)