|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abbott say he suffered from for four years?
2. What two people did Abbott learn had died during his time in the C-300 cell?
(a) Bobby Kennedy and his father.
(b) Malcolm X and his sister.
(c) JFK and his mother.
(d) President Nixon and his brother.
3. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
(a) People have their different ideas of cruelty.
(b) Only convicts witness it.
(c) Most prisoners have never heard about the law.
(d) It is the only way prisoners learn.
4. What does Abbott say sex acts are demonstrations of?
5. What is the one thing the prisoners have in common?
(a) Their need for women.
(b) The moral codes.
(c) Their boredom.
(d) Their hatred for the guards.
6. What does Abbott think are treated better than people in the hole?
(b) Prisoners on death row.
(c) Siberian war prisoners.
(d) Animals in a zoo.
7. What does Abbot say it is now routine for him to try to do?
(a) Escape prison.
(b) Abuse the guards.
(c) Write short stories.
(d) Think about his homeland.
8. Where does Abbott say he spent his childhood?
(a) Work farms.
(c) Penal institutions.
(d) Foster homes.
9. What does Abbott say he had to do to urinate while in the Butner institution?
(a) Ring a bell.
(b) Stand on his head.
(c) Twist his torso.
10. What does Abbott say he did in 1971?
(a) Attended a funeral.
(b) Escaped prison.
(c) Killed a guard.
(d) Killed an inmate.
11. What does the policeman mentality allow some humans to do?
(a) Make stupid rules.
(b) Rise above others.
(c) Earn more money.
(d) Treat people badly.
12. What does Abbott call intelligence robbed of experience?
(c) Real intelligence.
13. How did the guards try to control Abbott's claustrophobia?
(a) They tied him to his bed.
(b) They gave him a bigger cell.
(c) They put a stop to his solitary confinement.
(d) They sedated him at night.
14. What does a starvation diet consist of?
(a) An apple and a slice of cheese.
(b) A bowl of broth and a biscuit.
(c) A cup of soup and a sandwich.
(d) A baked potato and a piece of bread.
15. What is the name of the poem Abbott recites in this chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say his lungs were burning with?
2. What does Abbott say becomes reality while in solitary confinement?
3. What does Abbott condemn every government employee of the prison system as?
4. What does Abbott say a bull is pricked with?
5. What does Abbott think will end the policeman mentality?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)