|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abbott think theory must be studied in absence of?
(b) Real-world experience.
(c) Contact with other humans.
2. Where does Abbott say he is marched to as a thirteen-year-old boy?
(a) A mess hall.
(b) A beach.
(c) A coal mine.
(d) A bomb shelter.
3. Who is Abbott writing to?
(a) Truman Capote.
(b) Patricia Highsmith.
(c) Norman Mailer.
(d) Ernest Hemmingway.
4. What does Abbott think will end the policeman mentality?
(a) A worldwide revolution.
(b) A prisoner strike.
(c) A worker's revolution.
(d) World War Three.
5. What does Abbott say prison has tried but failed to take away from him?
(a) His soul.
(b) His mind.
(c) His love.
(d) His freedom.
6. What does Abbott comapre the noise one hears inside a prison to?
(a) The Senate.
(c) A zoo.
(d) A mental hospital.
7. What does Abbott say he dreamed about in his hotel room?
8. What does Abbott say he suffered from for four years?
9. What does Abbott say one feels happening to oneself when they are in the hole?
(b) Going mad.
10. What does Abbott say a prison guard can do without consequence?
(a) Beat an inmate.
(b) Sleep on duty.
(c) Cause a riot.
(d) Steal from an inmate.
11. What is the name of the punk Abbott refers to in this chapter?
12. What does Abbott say policeman obey?
(c) The state.
13. What is the one thing a convict respects?
(b) Moral strength.
14. What was the only part of his body that X could move?
(a) His eyelid.
(b) His leg.
(c) His forefinger.
(d) His thumb.
15. What does Abbott say one must do to someone before they kill them?
(a) Befriend them.
(b) Corner them.
(c) Torture them.
(d) Watch their routine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the punk the slave to?
2. What is the name of the author Abbott references at the end of the chapter?
3. What does Abbott say intelligence becomes if it is robbed of actual experience?
4. What did Abbott do to conserve energy during his starvation diet?
5. What of the following does Abbott say gives a security guard a reason for shooting a prisoner?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)