|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abbott say one feels happening to oneself when they are in the hole?
(b) Going mad.
2. What does Abbott say he thought was crushing him?
(d) Steel doors.
3. What does Abbott say policeman obey?
(d) The state.
4. Who was Abbott once falsely accused of stabbing?
(a) A prison guard.
(b) A priest.
(c) A warden.
(d) A fellow inmate.
5. What does Abbott say he had to do to urinate while in the Butner institution?
(b) Ring a bell.
(c) Stand on his head.
(d) Twist his torso.
6. What does Abbott say he pushed aside while in prison?
7. What does Abbott claim he contracted in institutions?
8. Who is Abbott writing to?
(a) Ernest Hemmingway.
(b) Truman Capote.
(c) Patricia Highsmith.
(d) Norman Mailer.
9. Who does Abbott say he does not believe in?
(d) The President.
10. What does Abbott call the gradual wearing away of healthy aspects of one's psychology?
11. Why was Abbott sent to the Utah State Penitentiary?
(a) He hit a police officer.
(b) He issued a check against insufficient funds.
(c) He stabbed a clerk to death.
(d) He bought a car with someone else's credit card.
12. What does Abbott call the atmosphere in which the Pigs recruit?
(b) Private school-like.
13. What is a shiv?
(a) A card game.
(b) A fossil.
(c) A weapon.
(d) A kebab.
14. What does Abbott say he finds painful and angering to look into?
(a) A telescope.
(b) A window.
(c) A microscope.
(d) A mirror.
15. What do guards look upon prisoners as?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say one must fight while in the hole?
2. What does Abbott say becomes reality while in solitary confinement?
3. What does Abbott say prison has tried but failed to take away from him?
4. What does Abbott say he is amazed of the feel of when he is out of solitary?
5. What is the name of the poem Abbott recites in this chapter?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)