|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
(a) Only convicts witness it.
(b) Most prisoners have never heard about the law.
(c) People have their different ideas of cruelty.
(d) It is the only way prisoners learn.
2. What is the name of the poem Abbott recites in this chapter?
3. What does Abbott say he was sent to prison to become?
(a) A worker.
(b) A punk.
(c) A writer.
(d) A shifter.
4. What does Abbott say prison has tried but failed to take away from him?
(a) His freedom.
(b) His mind.
(c) His love.
(d) His soul.
5. Which of the following philosophers is Abbott particularly drawn to?
6. What does Abbott say he suffered from for four years?
7. Who does Abbott say he has to sit next to everyday at breakfast?
(a) A rambling drunk.
(b) A stupid wino.
(c) A violent Nazi.
(d) A smelly bum.
8. What are strip cells used for?
9. What is the one thing the prisoners have in common?
(a) Their boredom.
(b) Their need for women.
(c) The moral codes.
(d) Their hatred for the guards.
10. What does the policeman mentality allow some humans to do?
(a) Treat people badly.
(b) Earn more money.
(c) Make stupid rules.
(d) Rise above others.
11. What of the following does Abbott say gives a security guard a reason for shooting a prisoner?
(a) Running in the corridor.
(b) Swearing at the warden.
(c) Touching another prisoner.
(d) Laughinh too loudly.
12. What drug is Abbott give to stop him from hallucinating?
13. What does Abbott compare the hole to?
(a) A nail bed.
(b) An sacrificial altar.
(c) An iron maiden.
(d) A coffin.
14. Who does Abbott say are the source of the guard's evil?
(a) Their wives.
(c) The state.
(d) Their upbringings.
15. What is the name of the punishment cell Abbott stayed in for a total exceeding more than one year?
(a) The Pit.
(b) The hole.
(c) The clam.
(d) The C-300.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott say prisoners live by?
2. What city did Abbott escape to?
3. What does Abbot like to do when he is in solitary confinement?
4. What does Abbott say a prisoner is killed in?
5. Where does Abbott claim he has spent days lost?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)