|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abbott say one feels happening to oneself when they are in the hole?
(d) Going mad.
2. What of the following does Abbott say gives a security guard a reason for shooting a prisoner?
(a) Running in the corridor.
(b) Touching another prisoner.
(c) Swearing at the warden.
(d) Laughinh too loudly.
3. What does Abbott do in solitary confinement just to hear something?
(a) Hits the walls.
(b) Mutters to himself.
(d) Stamps his feet.
4. What does a starvation diet consist of?
(a) A baked potato and a piece of bread.
(b) An apple and a slice of cheese.
(c) A cup of soup and a sandwich.
(d) A bowl of broth and a biscuit.
5. What does Abbott liken the experience of a being in a black cell to?
(a) Swimming in ink.
(b) Treading tar.
(c) Floating in space.
(d) Sleeping in a cave.
6. Which of the following philosophers is Abbott particularly drawn to?
7. What do Abbott's fellow inmates do to ensure Abbott's release from the the starvation diet?
(a) Give Abbott their food.
(b) Take a guard hostage.
(c) Go on strike.
(d) Break Abbott free.
8. What does Abbott say one must do to someone before they kill them?
(a) Befriend them.
(b) Corner them.
(c) Torture them.
(d) Watch their routine.
9. What is the name of the poem Abbott recites in this chapter?
10. Who does Abbott say he does not believe in?
(c) The President.
11. What does Abbott say policeman obey?
(d) The state.
12. What does Abbott say a bull is pricked with?
13. What is the name of the prisoner Abbott recalls in this section?
14. What is the worst crime one can commit while in prison?
(a) The murder of a guard.
(b) The stealing of food.
(c) The murder of an inmate.
(d) The stealing of cigarettes.
15. What is a prisoner given once a day as part of the C-300 punishment?
(a) A bath.
(b) A sponge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Abbott say pigs don't have to answer to?
2. Which of the following does Abbott say strikes him as beautiful when he is out of solitary?
3. What happens to Abbott after twenty three days in the blackout cell?
4. Why does Abbott think the law against cruel and unusual punishment is a joke?
5. What is the name of the punk Abbott refers to in this chapter?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)