|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the guards try to control Abbott's claustrophobia?
(a) They gave him a bigger cell.
(b) They sedated him at night.
(c) They tied him to his bed.
(d) They put a stop to his solitary confinement.
2. What does Abbott say one feels happening to oneself when they are in the hole?
(a) Going mad.
3. What does Abbot say it is now routine for him to try to do?
(a) Escape prison.
(b) Abuse the guards.
(c) Write short stories.
(d) Think about his homeland.
4. Why was Abbott sent to the Utah State Penitentiary?
(a) He stabbed a clerk to death.
(b) He bought a car with someone else's credit card.
(c) He hit a police officer.
(d) He issued a check against insufficient funds.
5. What was Abbott sent to Butner North Carolina Correctional Institute for?
(a) Organ experimentation.
(b) Criminological experimentation.
(c) Drug experimentation.
(d) Psychological experimentation.
6. What does Abbott say one must do to someone before they kill them?
(a) Befriend them.
(b) Watch their routine.
(c) Corner them.
(d) Torture them.
7. What is the name of the author Abbott references at the end of the chapter?
(a) William James.
(b) Henry James.
(c) Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Ernest Hemmingway.
8. What is the name of the punk Abbott refers to in this chapter?
9. What mentality does Abbott say the guards have?
(a) A policeman mentality.
(b) A capitalist mentality.
(c) A god-fearing mentality.
(d) A free world mentality.
10. Who does Abbott say he does not believe in?
(c) The President.
11. What is the worst crime one can commit while in prison?
(a) The murder of an inmate.
(b) The murder of a guard.
(c) The stealing of cigarettes.
(d) The stealing of food.
12. What does the policeman mentality allow some humans to do?
(a) Treat people badly.
(b) Rise above others.
(c) Make stupid rules.
(d) Earn more money.
13. What does Abbott say he dreamed about in his hotel room?
14. What of the following does Abbott say gives a security guard a reason for shooting a prisoner?
(a) Running in the corridor.
(b) Touching another prisoner.
(c) Swearing at the warden.
(d) Laughinh too loudly.
15. What does Abbott say he can't control?
(a) His fear.
(b) His writings.
(c) His tears.
(d) His anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbott think will end the policeman mentality?
2. What does Abbott say a prison guard can do without consequence?
3. What does Abbott compare the hole to?
4. What is the one thing a convict respects?
5. What is the one thing the prisoners have in common?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)