|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Maidere angry with Dog?
2. What was Maidere carrying when he came back from seeing Ulgen?
3. What did Ulgen create after he banished Erlik?
4. Why did Nyambi ask Kamonu to stop killing animals?
5. What sound brought Karora's son to life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mawu-Lisa treat the gods they created?
2. What happened to Karora and his sons?
3. What happened while Maidere was seeking Ulgen's help?
4. How did Karora and the Bandicoots create man?
5. Why is Wulbari upset in the beginning of chapter ten?
6. Where is Karora asleep when as chapter nine begins?
7. What did Tawis-karong do to the animals he created?
8. How did Earth Starter create dry land?
9. What did Ulgen create after he created the earth?
10. What happened after Karora burst from the ground?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories feature sets of twins. Might twins be considered special or magical in certain cultures? Why or why not? Are the twins presented in the stories good? Evil? Both? Neither?
Essay Topic 2
What cultural values can be gleaned from the stories? Which are values that encourage certain behaviors? Which are values that discourage certain behaviors? How can you tell? Provide examples to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
The female characters in these stories fall into two distinct categories: mother and shrew.
1) Which stories feature females as mothers? Are these women considered to be the creator gods?
2) Which stories feature females as shrews? What is often the result of their misbehavior?
What do these myths tell the reader about the role of women in these cultures?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)