|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Great Mother have?
2. What did Erlik offer Dog?
3. What was Maidere carrying when he came back from seeing Ulgen?
4. What is the name of the good twin?
5. What curse did Maidere put on Dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first man created from in chapter six?
2. How did Earth Starter create dry land?
3. How was the earth created in chapter eleven?
4. What did the seer tell Nayambi to do to the spider that helped him escape?
5. How and why are women created?
6. Why did Ulgen send Erlik down to be the leader of the dead spirits?
7. Who are Mawu and Lisa and what do they rule?
8. What did Tawis-karong do to the animals he created?
9. What happened after Karora burst from the ground?
10. What is Ananse and why is he sent on a quest by Wulbari?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the creation myths presented in the book begin with water covering the earth. Why do you think this is? How is dry land created in the stories? Why is dry land created in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
The female characters in these stories fall into two distinct categories: mother and shrew.
1) Which stories feature females as mothers? Are these women considered to be the creator gods?
2) Which stories feature females as shrews? What is often the result of their misbehavior?
What do these myths tell the reader about the role of women in these cultures?
Essay Topic 3
Which stories involve a trickster? What are the characteristics of a trickster? How do things usually end up for the trickster? Give examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)