|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawu live?
2. What instrument did Erlik play for the woman?
3. Who was left to guard the woman Maidere was trying to make?
4. In chapter 9, what was the only thing that existed in the beginning?
5. What did Maidere say people would throw at Dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the creator of the world in chapter eight?
2. Why did Earth Starter create a lake for the people of the earth?
3. Why is Wulbari upset in the beginning of chapter ten?
4. How and why are women created?
5. How were the woman's children born?
6. What happened to Karora and his sons?
7. How were plants of the earth created?
8. What did the seer tell Nayambi to do to the spider that helped him escape?
9. Why did Ulgen send Erlik down to be the leader of the dead spirits?
10. What is the curse Maidere puts on Dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast some of the stories of Wulbari (chapter ten) and Nyambi (chapter twelve).
How are the gods similar?
How are the gods different?
Who is Wulbari's nemesis?
Who is Nyambi's nemesis?
What are some similarities between the stories?
What are some differences between the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the Earth Starter myth in chapter seven with the Divine Woman myth in chapter eleven. How are these myths similar? Where are the cultures who tell these myths located? Why might their stories be similar?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the creation myths presented in the book begin with water covering the earth. Why do you think this is? How is dry land created in the stories? Why is dry land created in the stories?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)