|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Josef Mengele join the Nazi Party?
2. Who leads the Christian prayer service that Olin attends with Professor Adina Schreier in the beginning of Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 6?
3. The narrator says in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 that the “last prisoners in the Cracow ghetto, [Olin] has read, were transported to Auschwitz-Birkenau in August” of what year?
4. Who is described in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 as the lone Ostjude survivor among those at the retreat?
5. According to the former patient of Dr. Allgeier’s who became a camp guard, Olin’s mother was recognized on the selection platform at Auschwitz in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Rainer reveal of his family in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 7?
2. Who steps forward to “bear witness” at the meditation meeting in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10? What does this character reveal?
3. What does Olin consider the phenomenon of the dancing to be in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11?
4. What story does Stefan reveal when he steps forward to “bear witness” in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 7?
5. What does Olin encounter when his bus reaches Cracow in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
6. How does G. Earwig describe the loss of his family in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 12?
7. How does the narrator describe the correlations between art and evil in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13?
8. What information does Olin learn from Stefan in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13?
9. What inner conflicts does Olin reveal in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 9?
10. Where does Olin go after Catherine bids him farewell in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Rainer in the novel. What is the significance of Rainer’s story about his uncle? How does Rainer perceive the history of the Germans? How does Rainer differ in his perceptions of history and culpability from the other characters at the retreat?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Cracow, Poland. How far is Cracow located from the Auschwitz concentration camp? Discuss the history of Cracow prior to and during World War II. How much damage did Cracow see from the war? How is Cracow described in 1996, when Clements Olin arrives?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Old Baron Olinski and his wife. How did the Old Baron perceive his homeland and its history? Do you think that the Old Baron’s views were influenced by his position within the society? Why or why not?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)