|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Malan says to Olin in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13, “The only way to understand such evil is to” what?
2. The narrator says in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 that the “last prisoners in the Cracow ghetto, [Olin] has read, were transported to Auschwitz-Birkenau in August” of what year?
3. Adina tells Olin in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 that Sister Catherine was suspended from her teaching ministry and her novitiate for questioning the papal ban against what?
4. What was Sister Catherine’s name prior to her entrance to novice hood, according to Stefan in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13?
5. When was Tadeusz Borowski transported from Auschwitz to the Dautmergen subcamp of Natzweiler-Struthof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Stefan reveal when he steps forward to “bear witness” in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 7?
2. What does Olin learn about Father Mikal in Cracow in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
3. Where does Olin go after Catherine bids him farewell in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
4. How does G. Earwig describe the loss of his family in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 12?
5. Why does Olin go into the town of Oswiecim in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 8? What does he take with him?
6. What does Olin consider the phenomenon of the dancing to be in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11?
7. What inner conflicts does Olin reveal in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 9?
8. How is the character of Stanislav K. described in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 8?
9. What story does Rainer reveal of his family in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 7?
10. How does the narrator describe the correlations between art and evil in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Old Baron Olinski and his wife. How did the Old Baron perceive his homeland and its history? Do you think that the Old Baron’s views were influenced by his position within the society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Leonardo da Vinci’s masterpiece, Young Woman with Ermine. What happened to this painting during World War II? Where was it discovered? When was the painting returned to Cracow? What does this painting symbolize to Clements Olin in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Professor Adina Schreier in the novel. Where is Dr. Schreier from? What is her objective in attending the retreat? How does Dr. Schreier relate to Dr. Clements Olin?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)