|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Rainer’s uncle that he says he’s come to Auschwitz to honor in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 7?
2. Who is the rabbi that leads the Jewish prayer service by the ash pit in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10?
3. Who is said to be “grievously disappointed in his death camp experience and ‘heavy of heart’ as well, perceiving all Poland as ‘one big cemetery’” in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
4. The narrator says in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 that the “last prisoners in the Cracow ghetto, [Olin] has read, were transported to Auschwitz-Birkenau in August” of what year?
5. In the conclusion of Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16, the narrator describes Olin, saying, “In the wavering of candles he sits motionless, broken-brained and” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Olin go on the morning of the departure in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 15? What does he do here?
2. How are the tensions between the retreat attendees described in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 6?
3. Who steps forward to “bear witness” at the meditation meeting in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10? What does this character reveal?
4. What information does Father Mikal reveal about Stefan in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
5. How is the theme of the human capacity for evil explored in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11?
6. What does Father Mikal discuss with Olin in the beginning of Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13?
7. What information does Olin learn from Stefan in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13?
8. How does the dancing come about in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11? Who dances alongside Olin?
9. What does Olin learn about Father Mikal in Cracow in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
10. Who follows Olin as he searches for Brzezinka in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 8? Why is Olin looking for this setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the narrative style of In Paradise. Is the story related from a first, second, or third-person perspective? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Is the story told in present or past tense? How does each of these authorial choices affect the story and the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Identity and Self-Discovery
a. Discuss the themes of identity and self-discovery as they apply to protagonist Clements Olin in the novel. What does Clements come to discover about himself in the course of the story?
b. How do the themes of identity and self-discovery apply to the character of Georgie Earwig in the novel? Why is it important to Earwig to learn his family’s name?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role that the Catholic Church played in the actions of the Holocaust. Why do some of the retreat attendees express disdain for the Church and its history in regard to the treatment of Jews? Is there evidence to back up these claims?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)