|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the prayer that is translated by the rabbi as “Making Peace by Making Whole” in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11?
(a) Almanach de Gotha.
(c) Oseh Shalom.
2. Who first approaches Clements Olin in the mess hall to ask if he’s okay in the beginning of Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11?
(b) Father Mikal.
(d) Sister Ann-Marie.
3. When did Tadeusz Borowski die?
4. What poet does Olin quote in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11 when he describes “something not known to anyone at all but wild in our breast for centuries”?
(a) Primo Levi.
(b) Aharon Appelfeld.
(c) Anna Akhmatova.
(d) Franz Xaver Schwarz.
5. In what year did Josef Mengele join the Nazi Party?
6. What name does Olin call out when chasing after Sister Catherine in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
7. What is the name of the one survivor on the fleet of ships that G. Earwig’s family fled on, according to the information he’s discovered in Part IV: “In Paradise” opens in Chapters 15?
(a) David Stonior.
(b) Viktor Frankl.
(c) Hanz Frank.
(d) Aharon Appelfeld.
8. Who leads the Christian prayer service that Olin attends with Professor Adina Schreier in the beginning of Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 6?
(a) Sister Catherine.
(b) Sister Angela.
(c) Sister Maria.
(d) Sister Ann-Marie.
9. When did Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn win the Nobel Prize in Literature?
10. Who tells the story about the Jewish family hiding in a secret hiding place in a Warsaw house and was then discovered by the Gestapo because of the little girl who wouldn’t stop crying in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 7?
(a) Sister Ann-Marie.
(d) Sister Catherine.
11. Where does the bus drop off G. Earwig in the opening of Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
(a) At the cathedral.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) At the train station.
(d) At the airport.
12. Who does Olin describe in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16 as having “celebrated that vital joy in his atavistic impulse to devour the raw heart of a deer that is slain bare-handed”?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) Percy Shelley.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Samuel Beckett.
13. What word from Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 means lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity?
14. What word used in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 means lacking sense or silly?
15. What word from Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 7 means resisting authority or control, or disobedient?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word used by Dr. Stern in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16 means very sheer and light, or almost transparent or translucent?
2. What word from Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 6 means characterized by bitter or scornful derision?
3. What is the name of Eva’s friend who is described as a self-taught painter and who survived at Auschwitz for four years?
4. How did Tadeusz Borowski commit suicide?
5. When was Josef Mengele born?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)