|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Malan says to Olin in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13, “The only way to understand such evil is to” what?
(a) “Reimagine it.”
(b) “Accept it.”
(c) “Embrace it.”
(d) “Enter into it.”
2. What “confession” does Olin make before the other retreat attendees at the meditation meeting in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 14?
(a) His uncle was Adolf Hitler.
(b) His mother was Jewish.
(c) He divorced his wife because she was Jewish.
(d) His father was an SS officer.
3. How many synagogues does Erna say used to serve Oswiecim in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10?
4. When is the bus said to be departing for Cracow from the concentration camp in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 15?
(a) Late evening.
(c) Early evening.
(d) Early morning.
5. How did Tadeusz Borowski commit suicide?
(a) He breathed gas from an oven.
(b) He hanged himself.
(c) He ran in front of a moving train.
(d) He shot himself.
6. When was Tadeusz Borowski transported from Auschwitz to the Dautmergen subcamp of Natzweiler-Struthof?
7. What museum does Olin visit in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
(a) The Musée du Louvre.
(b) The National Gallery in Prague.
(c) The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
(d) The Czartoryski Museum.
8. Who is Erna speaking of when she says to Olin in Part IV: “In Paradise” opens in Chapters 15, “It’s all taken care of, Baron. He’s finished”?
(a) Father Mikal.
(c) Franz Xaver Schwarz.
(d) Father Eugene.
9. What was Josef Mengele’s nickname?
(a) The Murder Machine.
(b) The Angel of Death.
(c) The Mad Doctor.
(d) The President of Evil.
10. Where was Pope John Paul II born?
(a) Berlin, Germany.
(b) Wadowice, Poland.
(c) Moscow, Russia.
(d) Cracow, Poland.
11. What is the name of the prayer that is translated by the rabbi as “Making Peace by Making Whole” in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11?
(a) Almanach de Gotha.
(d) Oseh Shalom.
12. When was Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn born?
13. What word from Part IV: “In Paradise” opens in Chapters 15 refers to a loud electric horn, formerly used on automobiles and now often used as a warning signal?
14. Who leads the Christian prayer service that Olin attends with Professor Adina Schreier in the beginning of Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 6?
(a) Sister Catherine.
(b) Sister Maria.
(c) Sister Ann-Marie.
(d) Sister Angela.
15. According to the former patient of Dr. Allgeier’s who became a camp guard, Olin’s mother was recognized on the selection platform at Auschwitz in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stands against the “diabolical” concept of dancing at Auschwitz and condemns those who danced, regardless of the fact that he’d joined in, in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11?
2. In the conclusion of Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16, the narrator describes Olin, saying, “In the wavering of candles he sits motionless, broken-brained and” what?
3. The narrator says in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 that the “last prisoners in the Cracow ghetto, [Olin] has read, were transported to Auschwitz-Birkenau in August” of what year?
4. What word used in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11 means to give a false or misleading appearance to, or to conceal the truth?
5. What word used by Dr. Stern in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16 means very sheer and light, or almost transparent or translucent?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)