|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malan say in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13 “can speak when words cannot”?
(b) “The hand.”
(d) “The soul.”
2. What word from Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 6 means characterized by bitter or scornful derision?
3. The narrator describes Dr. Stern in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3 as “one of those perverse intellectuals who enjoy the role of” what?
(a) “The buffoon.”
(b) “The priest.”
(c) “The student.”
(d) “The professor.”
4. Where does Malan suggest Olin visit “the old Franciscan cathedral and have a look at its modern stained-glass window” in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13?
5. What Polish province was “a hub for seasonal harvest labor transported across northern Europe” prior to World War II, according to the narrator in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 as the lone Ostjude survivor among those at the retreat?
2. Which of the retreat attendees is described in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3 as “unaffiliated” in terms of religion and as having “no indicated nationality”?
3. What is the name of the priest that accompanies the two Catholic novices at the retreat?
4. When was Tadeusz Borowski transported from Auschwitz to the Dautmergen subcamp of Natzweiler-Struthof?
5. What word from Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16 means extremely or impassively steep?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)