|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the old Jewish quarter where the traveler and his young tour guides stop at a café in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 1?
2. What word from Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 6 means characterized by bitter or scornful derision?
3. Who leads the Christian prayer service that Olin attends with Professor Adina Schreier in the beginning of Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 6?
(a) Sister Ann-Marie.
(b) Sister Catherine.
(c) Sister Maria.
(d) Sister Angela.
4. In what year did Rudolf Höss join the Nazi Party?
5. What word used in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 12 means marked by characteristics of an earlier period, or antiquated?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many digits make up Malan’s prison number from Auschwitz?
2. The door that the traveler knocks on at the concentration camp when he arrives is the door to what former structure in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 2?
3. Who relates the ancient tale of a man in sorrow who is comforted by a rabbi who tells him: “The only whole heart is the broken heart. But it must be wholly broken” in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11?
4. Who does Olin describe in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16 as having “celebrated that vital joy in his atavistic impulse to devour the raw heart of a deer that is slain bare-handed”?
5. When was Christian Europe saved “from the Mongol hordes,” according to the narrator in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 5?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)