|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the visitor, the narrator says in the conclusion of Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 2, “The oppression seeping from these walls, he thinks, can only be deepened by his own misgivings as to” what?
(a) “What happened here fifty years ago.”
(b) “Who he really is.”
(c) “His guilt in the entire affair.”
(d) “Why he has come here in the first place.”
2. What is the name of the younger Catholic novice on the retreat?
(a) Sister Maria.
(b) Sister Catherine.
(c) Sister Ann-Marie.
(d) Sister Angela.
3. Who is said to be “grievously disappointed in his death camp experience and ‘heavy of heart’ as well, perceiving all Poland as ‘one big cemetery’” in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
(a) Viktor Frankl.
(b) Rabbi Dan.
(c) Rabbi Glock.
4. What Viennese Holocaust survivor is quoted in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 5 as having said, “We who have come back, we know. The best of us did not return”?
(a) Primo Levi.
(b) Franz Xaver Schwarz.
(c) Rudolf Höss.
(d) Viktor Frankl.
5. What name does Olin call out when chasing after Sister Catherine in Part IV: “In Paradise,” Chapter 16?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Russian poet Anna Akhmatova born?
2. How old was Olin when he was sent away to boarding school, according to the narrator in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 5?
3. How many times does Father Mikal say the novices have attended Confession from him in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 13?
4. What word is used by the narrator in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 4 to describe an overseer or “a privileged facilitator of the dirty work” at the concentration camps?
5. In what year does the narrator say that Olin’s grandparents “had prevailed upon their son Alexei, a young lieutenant of the cavalry, to escort them in their flight abroad to England and America” in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 5?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)