|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dr. Stern’s first name in the novel?
2. What word is used by the narrator in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 4 to describe an overseer or “a privileged facilitator of the dirty work” at the concentration camps?
3. In what year does the narrator say that Olin’s grandparents “had prevailed upon their son Alexei, a young lieutenant of the cavalry, to escort them in their flight abroad to England and America” in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 5?
4. Who is the “glum American rabbi” that instructs the other retreat attendees about the ram’s horn in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 4?
(c) James Glock.
5. What word from the novel refers to an Israeli community settlement, usually agricultural, that is organized under collectivist principles?
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it that the traveler arrives in Poland in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 1?
2. What word used in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 2 refers to a two-dimensional representation of the outline of an object?
3. What river does the narrator describe the road following “westward across the frozen landscape” in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 2?
4. Dr. Stern describes the retreatants at the concentration camp as having come from how many countries in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3?
5. What is the name of Clements Olin’s father in the novel?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)