|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word used in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 4 refers to an earnest desire for achievement or distinction?
2. What word from Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 2 refers to weariness from bodily or mental exertion?
3. What is the name of Ben Lama’s retreat assistant, according to the narrator in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 4?
4. What literary work of Tadeusz Borowski is described in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3?
(a) The Metamorphosis.
(b) Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates.
(c) This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen.
(d) Waiting for Godot.
5. The narrator says of the traveler and young couple in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 2, “Not that he’d deserved much courtesy. They had been kind to lug him thirty miles on a winter road to this” what?
(b) "Jedem das Seine."
(c) “Cloaca maxima.”
(d) “Almanach de Gotha.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the retreat attendees is described in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3 as “unaffiliated” in terms of religion and as having “no indicated nationality”?
2. What object does Dr. Olin recall “collapsing upon itself in an October field in the New England dusk” “as the loneliest thing he’d ever seen,” according to the narrator in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 4?
3. How long is the retreat to last, according to Dr. Stern in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3?
4. What word from Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 4 refers to the distribution of light and shade in a picture?
5. The retreat’s unofficial “spiritual leader” is nicknamed what, according to the narrator in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)