|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary work of Tadeusz Borowski is described in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3?
(a) Waiting for Godot.
(b) Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates.
(c) The Metamorphosis.
(d) This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen.
2. What word from Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 4 refers to the distribution of light and shade in a picture?
3. What personal torment does “Big Erna” describe when she stands before the attendees in the dining area in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10?
(a) The bombing of her home.
(b) Unjust imprisonment.
(c) Her children’s illnesses and deaths.
(d) Sexual abuse.
4. How old was Olin when he was sent away to boarding school, according to the narrator in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 5?
5. What word from the novel refers to the religious official of a synagogue who conducts the liturgical portion of a service and sings or chants the prayers?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Olin attempts to make sense of the transcendent experience of the dancing in Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 11, the narrator says, “Out on that platform at odd moments of each day, a presence had risen that, for want of a better term, [Olin] calls” what in his journal?
2. Erna tells Olin in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 that the few Jews that returned to Oswiecim were expelled in what year by Communists?
3. Who does the traveler say “styled herself ‘a Queen of Poland’” and displayed the Cecilia Gallerani portrait in the Royal Palace, in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 1?
4. From what narrative point of view is In Paradise related?
5. The traveler learns upon arriving in the city that the buses that go to his destination won’t be available before when, in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 1?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)