|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The retreat’s unofficial “spiritual leader” is nicknamed what, according to the narrator in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3?
(a) Ben Lama.
(c) Hanz Frank.
2. What object does Dr. Olin recall “collapsing upon itself in an October field in the New England dusk” “as the loneliest thing he’d ever seen,” according to the narrator in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 4?
(a) A house.
(b) A train car.
(c) An old car.
(d) A pumpkin.
3. Erna tells Olin in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10 that the few Jews that returned to Oswiecim were expelled in what year by Communists?
4. The traveler describes Cecilia Gallerani as whose adolescent mistress in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 1?
(a) Count Ludovico Sforza’s.
(c) Leonardo da Vinci’s.
(d) King Henry VIII’s.
5. When were “those heathen Turks finally driven from Vienna,” according to the narrator in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Part III: “Dancing at Auschwitz,” Chapter 12 refers to an ecclesiastic attached to the chapel of a royal court, college, or military unit?
2. In what year did Rudolf Höss join the Nazi Party?
3. What German word for “housewife” does Earwig use in a derogatory manner in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 6?
4. Who is the rabbi that leads the Jewish prayer service by the ash pit in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 10?
5. Who does Dr. Stern describe as “Me-firsters even in grief, these people” in Part II: “In the Ogre’s Cave,” Chapter 5?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)