|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Stern tells Dr. Olin in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3 that the majority of the attendees at the retreat are Jews and Christians from what country?
2. The narrator says of the traveler and young couple in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 2, “Not that he’d deserved much courtesy. They had been kind to lug him thirty miles on a winter road to this” what?
(a) “Cloaca maxima.”
(b) "Jedem das Seine."
(c) “Almanach de Gotha.”
3. How many “pilgrims” does Dr. Stern say have come to attend the retreat in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3?
4. Who is the survivor-writer that is quoted in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3 has having said “The Holocaust belongs to the type of enormous experience that reduces one to silence. Any utterance, any statement, any ‘answer’ is tiny, meaningless, and occasionally ridiculous”?
(a) Aharon Appelfeld.
(b) Brigitte Frank.
(c) Dr. Anders Stern.
(d) Hanz Frank.
5. What does the traveler attempt to give to Wanda before the couple departs, leaving him at the concentration camp, in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 2?
(a) A pearl bracelet.
(b) A photograph.
(c) A gold ring.
(d) A piece of amber.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Governor General of Occupied Poland that confiscated the portrait of Cecilia Gallerani, according to the traveler in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 1?
2. What river does the narrator describe the road following “westward across the frozen landscape” in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 2?
3. What word from Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 3 refers to the condition in which sexual gratification depends on causing pain or degradation to others?
4. When was the Russian poet Anna Akhmatova born?
5. What year does the narrator say it is in Part I: “A Guest of Poland,” Chapter 1?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)