|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sam Cardinella in the Memoir for Chapter 15?
2. What does the hotel keeper have sent to the American wife in her room?
3. What is the last news of the traveler?
4. Where is the first race of the season on the racing circuit?
5. In the Memoir for Chapter 9, bullfighting is considered to be a _______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a saying that "There are no atheists in foxholes." Explain the significance of this saying in light of the Memoir in Chapter 7 where the young soldier prays fervently while under siege.
Essay Topic 2
In the story in Chapter 4, "The Three-Day Blow," Nick likens his behavior of breaking up with Marjorie to the storms that are called Three-Day Blows. What is meant by a Three-Day Blow? Why does Nick compare his actions to it? Is he being reasonable or just trying to justify his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway shows two radically different situations involving Hungarian men in Chapter 8. One Hungarian man is shown extreme kindness as he travels through Europe while two Hungarian men are indiscriminately shot during a robbery in Kansas City. Using this example, develop an essay on the theme of good and evil--the good of the European people and the evil of the American cop.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)