|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman see when she looks out of the window?
2. What does the traveler buy when he visits various towns?
3. Who accompanies the wife outside?
4. What does Nick use for bait?
5. Who is the narrator of the Memoir for Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a saying that "There are no atheists in foxholes." Explain the significance of this saying in light of the Memoir in Chapter 7 where the young soldier prays fervently while under siege.
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway gives Nick the ability to see beyond immediate pain and discomfort by putting him in situations that give him hope. Cite some examples where Nick's mood and spirits lift when his hopeful nature takes over.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of the Prelude, "On the Quai at Smyrna" to the rest of the book. What important parameters does it establish? What themes does it introduce? Why did Hemingway lead with this story?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)