|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sam Cardinella in the Memoir for Chapter 15?
2. From where does Nick return in the story for Chapter 14?
3. Where do Nick and his friend stop for a meal?
4. What does Nick tell his friend during their conversation?
5. What is Joe's father's profession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of the Prelude, "On the Quai at Smyrna" to the rest of the book. What important parameters does it establish? What themes does it introduce? Why did Hemingway lead with this story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the use of irony in the life and death situation in the logging camp where the Indian woman gives birth at the same time that her husband commits suicide. How does this experience affect Nick's outlook on life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Agnes von Kurowsky. Why is she important to Nick? Is it because she is caring for his physical wounds? Would Nick have fallen in love with Agnes if they had met in different circumstances? Explain.
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)