|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does the Memoir for Chapter 8 take place?
2. Who accompanies the wife outside?
3. What nationality do the police think the two dead men are?
4. What wounded animal is treated cruelly in the Memoir for Chapter 10?
5. What are Nick's friend's plans after this vacation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a saying that "There are no atheists in foxholes." Explain the significance of this saying in light of the Memoir in Chapter 7 where the young soldier prays fervently while under siege.
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway shows two radically different situations involving Hungarian men in Chapter 8. One Hungarian man is shown extreme kindness as he travels through Europe while two Hungarian men are indiscriminately shot during a robbery in Kansas City. Using this example, develop an essay on the theme of good and evil--the good of the European people and the evil of the American cop.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Nick Adams. What are his similarities to Hemingway? Do you think Nick's character was based on Hemingway himself as some believe? Explain.
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)