|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hubert's wife's name?
2. Who is the story in Chapter 8 about?
3. What does Nick tell his friend during their conversation?
4. For what does the husband apologize to his wife?
5. In the Memoir for Chapter 11, which of the following objects is not thrown into the bullfighting ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story in Chapter 4, "The Three-Day Blow," Nick likens his behavior of breaking up with Marjorie to the storms that are called Three-Day Blows. What is meant by a Three-Day Blow? Why does Nick compare his actions to it? Is he being reasonable or just trying to justify his behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway writes most of these stories on the theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife," Nick becomes a pawn in a passive-aggressive game between his parents. Describe the dynamic in the Adams' household and why Nick is forced to choose between his mother and father. Why does Nick make the decision he does?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)