|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do Nick and Bill agree is better than baseball?
2. Who is Dick Boulton?
3. What does Krebs tell about the war?
4. What job did the narrator have in the war?
5. What is the location of the Memoir for Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the story "The End of Something" in Chapter 3?
2. Why does the ending of his relationship with his nurse particularly wound Nick?
3. What is the significance of the character, Nick Adams, introduced in this chapter?
4. Explain why the mountain is a metaphor in the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12.
5. Describe the format of this book.
6. How does Hemingway show contrasts in character in this story?
7. Who is the narrator of the story and why is he in Turkey?
8. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
9. What is the most atrocious thing the officer has witnessed during this war and evacuation?
10. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story in Chapter 10, "Cat in the Rain," the cat can represent many things for the American wife. What does the cat symbolize? Why does the cat elude her before she can catch it? Why does the hotel keeper have a cat sent to her room?
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Agnes von Kurowsky. Why is she important to Nick? Is it because she is caring for his physical wounds? Would Nick have fallen in love with Agnes if they had met in different circumstances? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Nick Adams. What are his similarities to Hemingway? Do you think Nick's character was based on Hemingway himself as some believe? Explain.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)