|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nick's recovery in a hospital mirrors whose life?
2. What do the sailors on the Simpson do to the evacuees every night?
3. When do Nick and his nurse meet again?
4. What does Dick Boulton call the logs?
5. What is a quai?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting for the Story in Chapter 10, "Cat in the Rain."
2. What is the setting for the story "The End of Something" in Chapter 3?
3. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
4. What is the setting for the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12?
5. Explain the irony of the Memoir in Chapter 11.
6. How does Nick deal with his injury and fear of death in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
7. How does Hemingway showcase the classic theme of good vs. evil in the disparate stories of the Hungarian robbers and the Hungarian Communist?
8. Explain the real source of conflict in the story and why it is entitled "The Doctor and The Doctor's Wife."
9. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
10. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story in Chapter 4, "The Three-Day Blow," Nick likens his behavior of breaking up with Marjorie to the storms that are called Three-Day Blows. What is meant by a Three-Day Blow? Why does Nick compare his actions to it? Is he being reasonable or just trying to justify his behavior?
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances in the book where young men--Nick for example--must face war and then the return home. Develop an essay on this related statement: "Nick returned home where everything was the same and nothing was the same."
Essay Topic 3
In the story in Chapter 10, "Cat in the Rain," the cat can represent many things for the American wife. What does the cat symbolize? Why does the cat elude her before she can catch it? Why does the hotel keeper have a cat sent to her room?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)