|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ad ask Nick to give him?
2. What do Nick and his nurse do before he returns to the front lines?
3. What profession does Nick's father have?
4. According to the narrator, what is the worst scene among the evacuees?
5. What does Krebs want most of all?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reasons that Krebs has a difficult time adjusting to civilian life after leaving his military life?
2. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
3. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
4. What is the scenario of the Memoir in Chapter 10?
5. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
6. Explain the scenario of the Memoir of Chapter 8.
7. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
8. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
9. Explain how the young matador shows disrespect to the older matadors.
10. Explain the subject for "Big Two-Hearted River: Part I," the story for Chapter 14.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the format of the book. What is the purpose of the Memoirs? What is the purpose of the Stories? Why do some of the Memoirs relate to the associated Stories and some do not?
Essay Topic 2
There is a saying that "There are no atheists in foxholes." Explain the significance of this saying in light of the Memoir in Chapter 7 where the young soldier prays fervently while under siege.
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway writes most of these stories on the theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)