|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the evacuees do every night at midnight?
2. Who is Dick Boulton?
3. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
4. According to the narrator, what is the worst scene among the evacuees?
5. What does Nick say is no longer any fun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting for the Story in Chapter 10, "Cat in the Rain."
2. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
3. Explain how the young matador shows disrespect to the older matadors.
4. What does Hemingway mean when the maid asks the wife if she has lost something and the wife replies that she had really wanted the cat but it is gone?
5. What is the setting for the story "The End of Something" in Chapter 3?
6. Describe the format of this book.
7. How does Hemingway use dialogue to show the crumbling state of the young couple's marriage?
8. Explain why the mountain is a metaphor in the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12.
9. What is a quai and what is its significance to the story?
10. What is the most atrocious thing the officer has witnessed during this war and evacuation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway writes about women giving birth or wanting a child in several of the stories. What is the significance of the birth theme to these stories? In literature in general?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Nick Adams. What are his similarities to Hemingway? Do you think Nick's character was based on Hemingway himself as some believe? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There are several instances in the book where young men--Nick for example--must face war and then the return home. Develop an essay on this related statement: "Nick returned home where everything was the same and nothing was the same."
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)