|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Nick and Marjorie together on this night?
2. A U.S. ship called the Simpson is in a ______________ state.
3. How long has Nick's nurse stayed on night duty to care for him?
4. What is unusual about Ad's face?
5. What does Bill's father say makes drunkards?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Krebs short-tempered with his mother and her plans for his new life?
2. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
3. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
4. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
5. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
6. How does Hemingway contrast the passive lives of Mr. and Mrs. Elliot with the passion of the young bullfighter?
7. Explain the significance of the wet, dead leaves affixed to the bodies of the condemned men in the Memoir for Chapter 5.
8. What is the scenario for the story in Chapter 2?
9. Describe the character Peduzzi in the Story in Chapter 11.
10. What are the circumstances of the "On the Quai at Smyrna" story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the use of irony in the life and death situation in the logging camp where the Indian woman gives birth at the same time that her husband commits suicide. How does this experience affect Nick's outlook on life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway writes about women giving birth or wanting a child in several of the stories. What is the significance of the birth theme to these stories? In literature in general?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Nick Adams. What are his similarities to Hemingway? Do you think Nick's character was based on Hemingway himself as some believe? Explain.
This section contains 1,770 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)