|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krebs think he would like to have?
2. When do Nick and his nurse meet again?
3. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
4. Why does Ad get mad at Nick?
5. What feeling does Nick have on this morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Hemingway's writing style captures the drama and bravado of Villalta, a very successful matador.
2. Why does Hemingway insert the sullen waitress at the inn?
3. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
4. How does Hemingway use dialogue to show the crumbling state of the young couple's marriage?
5. Explain the subject for "Big Two-Hearted River: Part I," the story for Chapter 14.
6. Explain how the young matador shows disrespect to the older matadors.
7. How does Hemingway use dialogue to indicate that the couple's marriage is probably doomed?
8. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
9. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
10. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway gives Nick the ability to see beyond immediate pain and discomfort by putting him in situations that give him hope. Cite some examples where Nick's mood and spirits lift when his hopeful nature takes over.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the format of the book. What is the purpose of the Memoirs? What is the purpose of the Stories? Why do some of the Memoirs relate to the associated Stories and some do not?
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Battler" in Chapter 5, Nick is beaten by a train Brakeman but not punched at all by Ad Francis, a former prizefighter. Explain the irony in Nick's situation with these two different characters. What life lessons does Nick learn from each of them?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)