|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Krebs plan to go to get a job?
2. Which book of Hemingway's will devote more time to his war hospital recovery?
3. Why does the Lieutenant ride his horse out into the field?
4. What is meant by "riding the rails?"
5. What does Krebs' mother allow him to do now?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Krebs short-tempered with his mother and her plans for his new life?
2. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
3. Explain the irony of the Memoir in Chapter 11.
4. Describe the character Peduzzi in the Story in Chapter 11.
5. Describe the format of this book.
6. What are the reasons that Krebs has a difficult time adjusting to civilian life after leaving his military life?
7. What is a quai and what is its significance to the story?
8. How does Hemingway end the story on a more hopeful note than how it began?
9. What is the scenario for the story in Chapter 2?
10. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Hemingway is a master at character study in the scene in Chapter 3 when Nick and Marjorie break up. What body language does Hemingway give the characters? What does their dialogue reveal--or not--about how they are feeling?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the format of the book. What is the purpose of the Memoirs? What is the purpose of the Stories? Why do some of the Memoirs relate to the associated Stories and some do not?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway gives Nick the ability to see beyond immediate pain and discomfort by putting him in situations that give him hope. Cite some examples where Nick's mood and spirits lift when his hopeful nature takes over.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)