Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
2. What does Nick say about his father?
3. What do Nick, his father and Uncle George deal with at the Indian camp?
4. Who is Bugs?
5. About what do Nick and Bill agree is better than baseball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
2. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
3. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
4. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
5. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
6. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
7. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
8. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
9. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
10. Describe the format of this book.
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway gives Nick the ability to see beyond immediate pain and discomfort by putting him in situations that give him hope. Cite some examples where Nick's mood and spirits lift when his hopeful nature takes over.
Essay Topic 2
In the story in Chapter 4, "The Three-Day Blow," Nick likens his behavior of breaking up with Marjorie to the storms that are called Three-Day Blows. What is meant by a Three-Day Blow? Why does Nick compare his actions to it? Is he being reasonable or just trying to justify his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Battler" in Chapter 5, Nick is beaten by a train Brakeman but not punched at all by Ad Francis, a former prizefighter. Explain the irony in Nick's situation with these two different characters. What life lessons does Nick learn from each of them?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)