|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose life does the character of Nick Adams parallel?
2. Nick accuses Marjorie of always _____________________.
3. What does Boulton call Nick's father?
4. Who comes for Nick's father for help while he and Nick are on a fishing trip?
5. Where does Nick like to spend time at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway use dialogue to indicate that the couple's marriage is probably doomed?
2. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
3. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
4. Why did the narrator make the point about the robbers being Hungarian--what is the irony in doing that?
5. What is a quai and what is its significance to the story?
6. Explain the significance of the wet, dead leaves affixed to the bodies of the condemned men in the Memoir for Chapter 5.
7. Explain why the mountain is a metaphor in the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12.
8. Describe the format of this book.
9. What is the most atrocious thing the officer has witnessed during this war and evacuation?
10. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway writes most of these stories on the theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 2
Most of Hemingway's characters has at least a minor flaw but Mr. Elliot in Chapter 9 seems especially handicapped despite all his attempts to live a conventional life. What internal and external struggles does Mr. Elliot have? What assaults on his male pride does he endure? What about his sense of professional competency? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Hemingway is a master at character study in the scene in Chapter 3 when Nick and Marjorie break up. What body language does Hemingway give the characters? What does their dialogue reveal--or not--about how they are feeling?
This section contains 1,736 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)