|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Nick's friends asks about Marjorie?
2. What does Nick call his friend, Rinaldi, in the Memoir?
3. Why does the Lieutenant ride his horse out into the field?
4. What fills the muddy roads leading out of the city?
5. What is a quai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12?
2. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
3. What does Hemingway mean when the maid asks the wife if she has lost something and the wife replies that she had really wanted the cat but it is gone?
4. Describe the character Peduzzi in the Story in Chapter 11.
5. How does Hemingway end the story on a more hopeful note than how it began?
6. How does Hemingway use dialogue to show the crumbling state of the young couple's marriage?
7. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
8. Who is the narrator of the Memoir for Chapter 13, and with whom does he interact in this very short scene?
9. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
10. Explain the significance of the saying, "There are no atheists in foxholes" as it relates to the Memoir for Chapter 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "The Battler" in Chapter 5, Nick is beaten by a train Brakeman but not punched at all by Ad Francis, a former prizefighter. Explain the irony in Nick's situation with these two different characters. What life lessons does Nick learn from each of them?
Essay Topic 2
War is a recurring theme in the Memoirs and in some of the Stories in the book. How are killing and war perceived by the young men when it seems like sport at first? How do the perceptions change when they are seriously wounded, as Nick is? How do they manage the aftermath of war and the personal toll it takes on them?
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife," Nick becomes a pawn in a passive-aggressive game between his parents. Describe the dynamic in the Adams' household and why Nick is forced to choose between his mother and father. Why does Nick make the decision he does?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)