Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
2. What does Nick say about his father?
3. What do Nick, his father and Uncle George deal with at the Indian camp?
4. Who is Bugs?
5. About what do Nick and Bill agree is better than baseball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
2. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
3. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
4. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
5. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
6. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
7. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
8. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
9. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
10. Describe the format of this book.
Essay Topic 1
War is a recurring theme in the Memoirs and in some of the Stories in the book. How are killing and war perceived by the young men when it seems like sport at first? How do the perceptions change when they are seriously wounded, as Nick is? How do they manage the aftermath of war and the personal toll it takes on them?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway writes most of these stories on the theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the use of irony in the life and death situation in the logging camp where the Indian woman gives birth at the same time that her husband commits suicide. How does this experience affect Nick's outlook on life? Explain.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)