Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
2. What does Nick say about his father?
3. What do Nick, his father and Uncle George deal with at the Indian camp?
4. Who is Bugs?
5. About what do Nick and Bill agree is better than baseball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
2. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
3. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
4. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
5. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
6. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
7. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
8. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
9. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
10. Describe the format of this book.
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway writes most of these stories on the theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of the Prelude, "On the Quai at Smyrna" to the rest of the book. What important parameters does it establish? What themes does it introduce? Why did Hemingway lead with this story?
Essay Topic 3
Most of Hemingway's characters has at least a minor flaw but Mr. Elliot in Chapter 9 seems especially handicapped despite all his attempts to live a conventional life. What internal and external struggles does Mr. Elliot have? What assaults on his male pride does he endure? What about his sense of professional competency? Explain.
This section contains 1,763 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)