|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nick's recovery in a hospital mirrors whose life?
2. What is the narrator doing in the Memoir?
3. Who is Bugs?
4. Where does Krebs live?
5. In what year does the story for Chapter 7 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism of the disassembled fishing rods carried by the young American wife.
2. How does the story's setting also serve as a metaphor?
3. How do Nick's war wound and recovery experience mirror Hemingway's own life?
4. How does Hemingway use dialogue to show the crumbling state of the young couple's marriage?
5. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
6. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
7. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
8. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
9. Explain the real source of conflict in the story and why it is entitled "The Doctor and The Doctor's Wife."
10. What are the reasons that Krebs has a difficult time adjusting to civilian life after leaving his military life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway writes about women giving birth or wanting a child in several of the stories. What is the significance of the birth theme to these stories? In literature in general?
Essay Topic 2
Most of Hemingway's characters has at least a minor flaw but Mr. Elliot in Chapter 9 seems especially handicapped despite all his attempts to live a conventional life. What internal and external struggles does Mr. Elliot have? What assaults on his male pride does he endure? What about his sense of professional competency? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the Memoir of Chapter 6 and the story that follows it--"A Very Short Story." How does the information in this Memoir flow into the Story? Is this different from the other examples in the book? Explain.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)