|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
2. What do Nick and Marjorie see?
3. What makes Krebs' mother cry?
4. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
5. Nick accuses Marjorie of always _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of Marjorie saying, "There's our old ruin, Nick."
2. Explain the scenario of the Memoir of Chapter 8.
3. What is meant by "riding the rails" in the story in Chapter 5?
4. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
5. Describe how Hemingway's writing style captures the drama and bravado of Villalta, a very successful matador.
6. How does Hemingway showcase the classic theme of good vs. evil in the disparate stories of the Hungarian robbers and the Hungarian Communist?
7. Explain how the young matador shows disrespect to the older matadors.
8. What is a quai and what is its significance to the story?
9. Why does the ending of his relationship with his nurse particularly wound Nick?
10. Describe the character Peduzzi in the Story in Chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is a recurring theme in the Memoirs and in some of the Stories in the book. How are killing and war perceived by the young men when it seems like sport at first? How do the perceptions change when they are seriously wounded, as Nick is? How do they manage the aftermath of war and the personal toll it takes on them?
Essay Topic 2
In the story in Chapter 10, "Cat in the Rain," the cat can represent many things for the American wife. What does the cat symbolize? Why does the cat elude her before she can catch it? Why does the hotel keeper have a cat sent to her room?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway shows two radically different situations involving Hungarian men in Chapter 8. One Hungarian man is shown extreme kindness as he travels through Europe while two Hungarian men are indiscriminately shot during a robbery in Kansas City. Using this example, develop an essay on the theme of good and evil--the good of the European people and the evil of the American cop.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)