|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Nick and his nurse do before he returns to the front lines?
2. What does Ad tell Nick about himself?
3. What is unusual about Ad's face?
4. In what year does the story for Chapter 7 take place?
5. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
2. Explain the significance of the wet, dead leaves affixed to the bodies of the condemned men in the Memoir for Chapter 5.
3. What does Hemingway mean when the maid asks the wife if she has lost something and the wife replies that she had really wanted the cat but it is gone?
4. How does Hemingway contrast the passive lives of Mr. and Mrs. Elliot with the passion of the young bullfighter?
5. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
6. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
7. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
8. How does Hemingway end the story on a more hopeful note than how it began?
9. What are the main themes of the story which will become important throughout the entire book?
10. What is the setting for the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Nick Adams. What are his similarities to Hemingway? Do you think Nick's character was based on Hemingway himself as some believe? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the format of the book. What is the purpose of the Memoirs? What is the purpose of the Stories? Why do some of the Memoirs relate to the associated Stories and some do not?
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Agnes von Kurowsky. Why is she important to Nick? Is it because she is caring for his physical wounds? Would Nick have fallen in love with Agnes if they had met in different circumstances? Explain.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)