|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did the narrator have in the war?
2. Smyrna is located in what country?
3. What fills the muddy roads leading out of the city?
4. What does Bugs do to calm Ad down?
5. What does Nick call his friend, Rinaldi, in the Memoir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Peduzzi in the Story in Chapter 11.
2. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
3. Describe how Hemingway's writing style captures the drama and bravado of Villalta, a very successful matador.
4. What does Hemingway mean when the maid asks the wife if she has lost something and the wife replies that she had really wanted the cat but it is gone?
5. Who is the narrator of the Memoir for Chapter 13, and with whom does he interact in this very short scene?
6. Explain how the young matador shows disrespect to the older matadors.
7. Explain the significance of the saying, "There are no atheists in foxholes" as it relates to the Memoir for Chapter 7.
8. What is the source of the conflict between Nick's father and one of the loggers?
9. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
10. How does Hemingway showcase the classic theme of good vs. evil in the disparate stories of the Hungarian robbers and the Hungarian Communist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the Memoir of Chapter 6 and the story that follows it--"A Very Short Story." How does the information in this Memoir flow into the Story? Is this different from the other examples in the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway gives Nick the ability to see beyond immediate pain and discomfort by putting him in situations that give him hope. Cite some examples where Nick's mood and spirits lift when his hopeful nature takes over.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife," Nick becomes a pawn in a passive-aggressive game between his parents. Describe the dynamic in the Adams' household and why Nick is forced to choose between his mother and father. Why does Nick make the decision he does?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)