|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill's father say makes drunkards?
2. What do Nick and Bill drink?
3. Who else is attempting to leave Smyrna?
4. What is a woman doing on a cart?
5. What job did the narrator have in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting for the Story in Chapter 10, "Cat in the Rain."
2. Why does Krebs have to resort to lying in order to make his military service seem more important when he returns home?
3. How does Hemingway contrast the passive lives of Mr. and Mrs. Elliot with the passion of the young bullfighter?
4. Why is Krebs short-tempered with his mother and her plans for his new life?
5. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
6. What are the reasons that Krebs has a difficult time adjusting to civilian life after leaving his military life?
7. Besides death and the fear of it, what is another important theme in the book which is evident in the Memoir for Chapter 2?
8. Explain the scenario of the Memoir of Chapter 8.
9. What is a quai and what is its significance to the story?
10. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Hemingway is a master at character study in the scene in Chapter 3 when Nick and Marjorie break up. What body language does Hemingway give the characters? What does their dialogue reveal--or not--about how they are feeling?
Essay Topic 2
In the story in Chapter 4, "The Three-Day Blow," Nick likens his behavior of breaking up with Marjorie to the storms that are called Three-Day Blows. What is meant by a Three-Day Blow? Why does Nick compare his actions to it? Is he being reasonable or just trying to justify his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Nick Adams. What are his similarities to Hemingway? Do you think Nick's character was based on Hemingway himself as some believe? Explain.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)