|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Lieutenant ride his horse out into the field?
2. What does Nick say is no longer any fun?
3. What does Nick call his friend, Rinaldi, in the Memoir?
4. Which book of Hemingway's will devote more time to his war hospital recovery?
5. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parallel does Hemingway draw between the fire-ravaged region Nick walks through at home and the war he has just left behind?
2. Who is the narrator of the story and why is he in Turkey?
3. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
4. How does Hemingway show contrasts in character in this story?
5. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
6. Besides death and the fear of it, what is another important theme in the book which is evident in the Memoir for Chapter 2?
7. Explain the subject for "Big Two-Hearted River: Part I," the story for Chapter 14.
8. Why does Hemingway insert the sullen waitress at the inn?
9. What is a quai and what is its significance to the story?
10. In the Story of Chapter 8, another Hungarian man is introduced as the main character. Describe his situation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a saying that "There are no atheists in foxholes." Explain the significance of this saying in light of the Memoir in Chapter 7 where the young soldier prays fervently while under siege.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the format of the book. What is the purpose of the Memoirs? What is the purpose of the Stories? Why do some of the Memoirs relate to the associated Stories and some do not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of the Prelude, "On the Quai at Smyrna" to the rest of the book. What important parameters does it establish? What themes does it introduce? Why did Hemingway lead with this story?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)