|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Nick and his nurse do before he returns to the front lines?
2. What is the attitude of the narrator telling the story?
3. In the Memoir for Chapter 5, what are the condemned army officers covered with before their execution?
4. What is meant by "riding the rails?"
5. What does Bugs do to calm Ad down?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway show contrasts in character in this story?
2. Explain the significance of Marjorie saying, "There's our old ruin, Nick."
3. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
4. What is the significance of the character, Nick Adams, introduced in this chapter?
5. What are the circumstances of the "On the Quai at Smyrna" story?
6. What parallel does Hemingway draw between the fire-ravaged region Nick walks through at home and the war he has just left behind?
7. Explain the significance of the saying, "There are no atheists in foxholes" as it relates to the Memoir for Chapter 7.
8. What is the setting for the story "The End of Something" in Chapter 3?
9. Explain the scenario of the Memoir of Chapter 8.
10. What is the scenario for the story in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the Memoir of Chapter 6 and the story that follows it--"A Very Short Story." How does the information in this Memoir flow into the Story? Is this different from the other examples in the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Agnes von Kurowsky. Why is she important to Nick? Is it because she is caring for his physical wounds? Would Nick have fallen in love with Agnes if they had met in different circumstances? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Most of Hemingway's characters has at least a minor flaw but Mr. Elliot in Chapter 9 seems especially handicapped despite all his attempts to live a conventional life. What internal and external struggles does Mr. Elliot have? What assaults on his male pride does he endure? What about his sense of professional competency? Explain.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)