|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Krebs?
2. Who is Nick's nurse in Padua?
3. Who is Ad Francis?
4. Why do Nick and Bill not go out in the boat?
5. What is meant by "riding the rails?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway contrast the passive lives of Mr. and Mrs. Elliot with the passion of the young bullfighter?
2. How does Hemingway showcase the classic theme of good vs. evil in the disparate stories of the Hungarian robbers and the Hungarian Communist?
3. How does the story's setting also serve as a metaphor?
4. What is meant by "riding the rails" in the story in Chapter 5?
5. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
6. What is the scenario of the Memoir in Chapter 10?
7. Explain the irony of the Memoir in Chapter 11.
8. What are the circumstances of the "On the Quai at Smyrna" story?
9. Who is the narrator of the story and why is he in Turkey?
10. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
Essay Topic 1
War is a recurring theme in the Memoirs and in some of the Stories in the book. How are killing and war perceived by the young men when it seems like sport at first? How do the perceptions change when they are seriously wounded, as Nick is? How do they manage the aftermath of war and the personal toll it takes on them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Nick Adams. What are his similarities to Hemingway? Do you think Nick's character was based on Hemingway himself as some believe? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Most of Hemingway's characters has at least a minor flaw but Mr. Elliot in Chapter 9 seems especially handicapped despite all his attempts to live a conventional life. What internal and external struggles does Mr. Elliot have? What assaults on his male pride does he endure? What about his sense of professional competency? Explain.
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)