Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
2. What does Nick say about his father?
3. What do Nick, his father and Uncle George deal with at the Indian camp?
4. Who is Bugs?
5. About what do Nick and Bill agree is better than baseball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
2. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
3. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
4. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
5. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
6. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
7. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
8. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
9. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
10. Describe the format of this book.
Hemingway shows two radically different situations involving Hungarian men in Chapter 8. One Hungarian man is shown extreme kindness as he travels through Europe while two Hungarian men are indiscriminately shot during a robbery in Kansas City. Using this example, develop an essay on the theme of good and evil--the good of the European people and the evil of the American cop.
Hemingway writes most of these stories on the theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
In the story in Chapter 10, "Cat in the Rain," the cat can represent many things for the American wife. What does the cat symbolize? Why does the cat elude her before she can catch it? Why does the hotel keeper have a cat sent to her room?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)