|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
2. What do Nick and his nurse do before he returns to the front lines?
3. What is Nick's mood?
4. A U.S. ship called the Simpson is in a ______________ state.
5. What does Nick's father not do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scenario of the Memoir of Chapter 8.
2. What is the setting for the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12?
3. In the Story of Chapter 8, another Hungarian man is introduced as the main character. Describe his situation.
4. What are the main themes of the story which will become important throughout the entire book?
5. How does Hemingway use dialogue to show the crumbling state of the young couple's marriage?
6. Explain how the young matador shows disrespect to the older matadors.
7. Explain why the mountain is a metaphor in the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12.
8. What does Hemingway mean when the maid asks the wife if she has lost something and the wife replies that she had really wanted the cat but it is gone?
9. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
10. What is the scenario of the Memoir in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of Hemingway's characters has at least a minor flaw but Mr. Elliot in Chapter 9 seems especially handicapped despite all his attempts to live a conventional life. What internal and external struggles does Mr. Elliot have? What assaults on his male pride does he endure? What about his sense of professional competency? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway writes most of these stories on the theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Agnes von Kurowsky. Why is she important to Nick? Is it because she is caring for his physical wounds? Would Nick have fallen in love with Agnes if they had met in different circumstances? Explain.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)