|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nick's mood?
2. What does Boulton call Nick's father?
3. What war does the narrator mention in the memoir for Chapter 1?
(a) World War II
(b) The Korean War
(c) The Vietnam War
(d) World War I
4. What does Dick Boulton call the logs?
(a) Stolen property
(c) Zeus' toothpicks
(d) A nuisance
5. Why do Nick and Bill not go out in the boat?
(a) It is too cold
(b) The pond is frozen
(c) It is being repaired
(d) It is too dark
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do Nick and Bill agree is better than baseball?
2. Who is the girl Nick has recently broken up with?
3. Where did Bugs meet Ad?
4. Nick accuses Marjorie of always _____________________.
5. What does Nick say about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nick deal with his injury and fear of death in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
2. Explain why the mountain is a metaphor in the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12.
3. Why did the narrator make the point about the robbers being Hungarian--what is the irony in doing that?
4. What are the circumstances of the "On the Quai at Smyrna" story?
5. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
6. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
7. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
8. How does Hemingway use dialogue to indicate that the couple's marriage is probably doomed?
9. What is the most atrocious thing the officer has witnessed during this war and evacuation?
10. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)