|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
(a) The French army
(b) The U.S. navy
(c) The Greek army
(d) The Russian navy
2. What does Nick say about his father?
(a) He is always sad
(b) He loves him unconditionally
(c) He is too strict
(d) He has missed a lot in life
3. What do Nick, his father and Uncle George deal with at the Indian camp?
(a) A primitive caesarean section for a breech birth
(b) Floods washing away the cabins
(c) Wounds from knife fights
(d) Fires burning all around the camp
4. Who is Bugs?
(a) A cartoon bunny
(b) Nick's college roommate
(c) Ad's traveling companion
(d) A gangster
5. About what do Nick and Bill agree is better than baseball?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marjorie?
2. What has Marjorie brought along tonight?
3. Who is the girl Nick has recently broken up with?
4. Where does Nick like to spend time at the hospital?
5. What do Nick and Bill drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
2. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
3. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
4. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
5. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
6. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
7. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
8. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
9. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
10. Describe the format of this book.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)