|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the location of the Story in Chapter 3?
(d) New Mexico
2. What has happened to Nick in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
(a) He got married
(b) He was shot in the spine
(c) He got a new job
(d) He graduated college
3. Who is the girl Nick has recently broken up with?
(b) Mary Ellen
4. Where does Krebs live?
(d) New Mexico
5. What shocking event occurs this night for Nick, his father and Uncle George?
(a) A man commits suicide by slitting his throat
(b) The country goes to war with Japan
(c) There is a lynching in town
(d) The local forest catches fire
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick's father call the floating logs?
2. How long has Nick's nurse stayed on night duty to care for him?
3. Where does Nick find Bill?
4. In the Memoir for Chapter 4, what do the soldiers use for a barricade against the enemy?
5. What do Nick and Bill talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the irony of the Memoir in Chapter 11.
2. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
3. Explain the symbolism of the disassembled fishing rods carried by the young American wife.
4. Why does the ending of his relationship with his nurse particularly wound Nick?
5. What is the source of the conflict between Nick's father and one of the loggers?
6. Explain the subject of the Memoir of Chapter 15.
7. How does Nick deal with his injury and fear of death in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
8. How does Hemingway contrast the passive lives of Mr. and Mrs. Elliot with the passion of the young bullfighter?
9. Explain the scenario of the Memoir of Chapter 8.
10. Explain the significance of the wet, dead leaves affixed to the bodies of the condemned men in the Memoir for Chapter 5.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)