|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war does the narrator mention in the memoir for Chapter 1?
(a) The Korean War
(b) The Vietnam War
(c) World War I
(d) World War II
2. What does Krebs think he would like to have?
(a) A job
(b) A girlfriend
(c) A family
(d) A car
3. What does the soldier promise in the trench that he does not do when danger has passed?
(a) Stop smoking
(b) Write a letter to his girlfriend
(c) Tell everyone about Jesus
(d) Call his mother
4. What does Bugs do to calm Ad down?
(a) Sings a lullaby
(b) Gives him a sedative
(c) Knocks him out
(d) Makes him drink whiskey
5. About what do Nick and Bill agree is better than baseball?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bugs?
2. What does Nick say is no longer any fun?
3. What has happened to Nick in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
4. What do Nick, his father and Uncle George deal with at the Indian camp?
5. Why does Ad get mad at Nick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
2. What is the setting for the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12?
3. Who is the narrator of the Memoir for Chapter 13, and with whom does he interact in this very short scene?
4. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
5. Explain the scenario of the Memoir of Chapter 8.
6. Why does Krebs have to resort to lying in order to make his military service seem more important when he returns home?
7. How does Hemingway contrast the passive lives of Mr. and Mrs. Elliot with the passion of the young bullfighter?
8. Besides death and the fear of it, what is another important theme in the book which is evident in the Memoir for Chapter 2?
9. How do Nick's war wound and recovery experience mirror Hemingway's own life?
10. What is the source of the conflict between Nick's father and one of the loggers?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)