|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Nick and Marjorie see?
(a) A defunct lumber mill
(b) A car accident
(c) A tornado
(d) A shooting star
2. About what do Nick and Bill agree is better than baseball?
3. What does Nick's father not do?
4. Where does Krebs live?
(d) New Mexico
5. What do Nick and Bill drink?
(b) Irish whiskey
(d) Hot chocolate
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marjorie?
2. Who is Krebs?
3. What does Krebs' mother want him to do?
4. What is the location of the Story in Chapter 3?
5. What does Ad tell Nick about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a quai and what is its significance to the story?
2. In the Story of Chapter 8, another Hungarian man is introduced as the main character. Describe his situation.
3. How do Nick's war wound and recovery experience mirror Hemingway's own life?
4. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
5. How does Nick deal with his injury and fear of death in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
6. Who is the narrator of the Memoir for Chapter 13, and with whom does he interact in this very short scene?
7. What are the main themes of the story which will become important throughout the entire book?
8. What is the most atrocious thing the officer has witnessed during this war and evacuation?
9. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
10. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)