|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fills the muddy roads leading out of the city?
(a) Tanks and other military vehicles
(b) Water from unrelenting rains
(c) Greek citizens pulling carts with all their belongings
(d) Garbage from a garbage strike
2. What does Nick say is no longer any fun?
(a) Skinny dipping
3. What do Nick and Bill decide to do?
(a) Get drunk
(b) Enlist in the army
(c) Call some girls
(d) Go fishing
4. What does Nick's father not do?
5. How does Nick sustain his injury?
(a) He is sucker punched
(b) He is hit by a car
(c) He falls on an icy sidewalk
(d) He falls down stairs
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the girl Nick has recently broken up with?
2. What is Nick's father's profession?
3. What does Nick say about his father?
4. Who is Agnes von Kurowsky?
5. Why does Dr. Adams think Boulton picked a fight with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story's setting also serve as a metaphor?
2. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
3. Explain the real source of conflict in the story and why it is entitled "The Doctor and The Doctor's Wife."
4. What is the most atrocious thing the officer has witnessed during this war and evacuation?
5. How does Hemingway show contrasts in character in this story?
6. Why is Krebs short-tempered with his mother and her plans for his new life?
7. How does Hemingway use dialogue to show the crumbling state of the young couple's marriage?
8. Why does Hemingway insert the sullen waitress at the inn?
9. What are the main themes of the story which will become important throughout the entire book?
10. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)