|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Nick like to spend time at the hospital?
(a) The roof
(b) The chapel
(c) The cafeteria
(d) The lobby
2. To where does Nick walk to visit his friend, Bill?
(d) Country road
3. Who is the girl Nick has recently broken up with?
(c) Mary Ellen
4. What feeling does Nick have on this morning?
(a) That he will never die
(b) That he is homesick
(c) That he does not want to leave
(d) That he wants to remember this morning forever
5. What does Krebs think he would like to have?
(a) A car
(b) A family
(c) A girlfriend
(d) A job
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nick's father's profession?
2. In the Memoir for Chapter 5, what are the condemned army officers covered with before their execution?
3. What do the evacuees do every night at midnight?
4. Who is Dick Boulton?
5. Where does Krebs live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the story "The End of Something" in Chapter 3?
2. Explain the significance of the wet, dead leaves affixed to the bodies of the condemned men in the Memoir for Chapter 5.
3. In the Story of Chapter 8, another Hungarian man is introduced as the main character. Describe his situation.
4. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
5. Why does Hemingway insert the sullen waitress at the inn?
6. How do Nick's war wound and recovery experience mirror Hemingway's own life?
7. Explain the real source of conflict in the story and why it is entitled "The Doctor and The Doctor's Wife."
8. How does Hemingway use dialogue to indicate that the couple's marriage is probably doomed?
9. What is the significance of the character, Nick Adams, introduced in this chapter?
10. Describe the character Peduzzi in the Story in Chapter 11.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)