|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Nick and Bill decide to do?
(a) Get drunk
(b) Go fishing
(c) Call some girls
(d) Enlist in the army
2. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
(a) The U.S. navy
(b) The French army
(c) The Russian navy
(d) The Greek army
3. What is Nick's father's profession?
4. Nick's recovery in a hospital mirrors whose life?
5. What does Bugs offer to Nick?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Krebs plan to go to get a job?
2. What does Ad ask Nick to give him?
3. Why do Nick and Bill not go out in the boat?
4. What does Nick call his friend, Rinaldi, in the Memoir?
5. What profession does Nick's father have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story and why is he in Turkey?
2. What is the source of the conflict between Nick's father and one of the loggers?
3. What are the main themes of the story which will become important throughout the entire book?
4. Explain the subject for "Big Two-Hearted River: Part I," the story for Chapter 14.
5. How does Hemingway show contrasts in character in this story?
6. Explain the scenario of the Memoir of Chapter 8.
7. Who is the narrator of the Memoir for Chapter 13, and with whom does he interact in this very short scene?
8. How do Nick's war wound and recovery experience mirror Hemingway's own life?
9. What parallel does Hemingway draw between the fire-ravaged region Nick walks through at home and the war he has just left behind?
10. What is the scenario for the story in Chapter 2?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)