|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the girl Nick has recently broken up with?
(b) Mary Ellen
2. What does Nick's father call the floating logs?
(d) A nuisance
3. What does Nick say is no longer any fun?
(a) Skinny dipping
4. What does Nick call his friend, Rinaldi, in the Memoir?
(a) The best friend he has ever had
(b) A man among men
(c) A poor excuse for a man
(d) A disappointing audience
5. Who is Dick Boulton?
(a) The mayor of the town
(b) The head of the local plumbers union
(c) One of the men who comes to work for Nick's father
(d) A school board member
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Lieutenant ride his horse out into the field?
2. Smyrna is located in what country?
3. What is the soldier in the Memoir for Chapter 7 doing?
4. A U.S. ship called the Simpson is in a ______________ state.
5. Where does Nick find Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the subject for "Big Two-Hearted River: Part I," the story for Chapter 14.
2. What parallel does Hemingway draw between the fire-ravaged region Nick walks through at home and the war he has just left behind?
3. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
4. Explain the subject of the Memoir of Chapter 15.
5. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
6. What is the scenario for the story in Chapter 2?
7. What is meant by "riding the rails" in the story in Chapter 5?
8. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
9. What parallels does Hemingway draw between the three bullfighters and Mr. and Mrs. Elliot and her lover?
10. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)