|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Krebs tell about the war?
(b) His actual experiences
(d) Occasional stories
2. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
(a) Riding bicycles
(b) Rowing in a boat
(d) Playing tennis
3. What does Boulton call Nick's father?
4. Which one of Nick's friends asks about Marjorie?
5. Why does Ad get mad at Nick?
(a) He insults his mother
(b) He does not have any whiskey
(c) He does not have any cigarettes
(d) He does not give him the knife
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick Boulton call the logs?
2. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
3. What is the location of the Memoir for Chapter 3?
4. A U.S. ship called the Simpson is in a ______________ state.
5. Who is Dick Boulton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story's setting also serve as a metaphor?
2. Describe the character Peduzzi in the Story in Chapter 11.
3. How does Nick deal with his injury and fear of death in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
4. What are the reasons that Krebs has a difficult time adjusting to civilian life after leaving his military life?
5. What is the setting for the story "The End of Something" in Chapter 3?
6. Why does Hemingway insert the sullen waitress at the inn?
7. Who is the narrator of the story and why is he in Turkey?
8. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
9. What is the source of the conflict between Nick's father and one of the loggers?
10. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)