|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Smyrna is located in what country?
2. What do the sailors on the Simpson do to the evacuees every night?
(a) Run their searchlight up and down the crowd
(b) Yell at them to go home
(c) Provide first aid
(d) Give them food
3. Who is Marjorie?
(a) Nick's girlfriend
(b) Nick's sister
(c) Nick's mother
(d) Nick's piano teacher
4. What does Nick call his friend, Rinaldi, in the Memoir?
(a) The best friend he has ever had
(b) A poor excuse for a man
(c) A disappointing audience
(d) A man among men
5. What do Nick and Bill talk about?
(a) Whiskey, girls and baseball
(b) Whiskey, baseball and cars
(c) Whiskey, baseball and books
(d) School, baseball and books
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book of Hemingway's will devote more time to his war hospital recovery?
2. Who else is attempting to leave Smyrna?
3. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
4. What is Nick's mood?
5. Why does Nick's nurse leave for Pordenone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Stylistically, what is significant about the Memoir and story of Chapter 6?
2. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
3. How does Nick deal with his injury and fear of death in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
4. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
5. Who is the narrator of the Memoir for Chapter 13, and with whom does he interact in this very short scene?
6. What is the most atrocious thing the officer has witnessed during this war and evacuation?
7. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
8. Explain the subject of the Memoir of Chapter 15.
9. How does Hemingway show contrasts in character in this story?
10. How does Hemingway showcase the classic theme of good vs. evil in the disparate stories of the Hungarian robbers and the Hungarian Communist?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)