|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is the worst scene among the evacuees?
(a) Men begging for food
(b) The women with dead babies who will not relinquish them
(c) Women vomiting in the streets
(d) Children crying for milk
2. What is meant by "riding the rails?"
(a) Riding on trains without paying the fare
(b) Putting up fences
(c) Driving a semi truck
(d) Taking the subway
3. What does Bugs do to calm Ad down?
(a) Knocks him out
(b) Sings a lullaby
(c) Makes him drink whiskey
(d) Gives him a sedative
4. Why are Nick and Marjorie together on this night?
(a) To elope
(b) To set night lines for trout
(c) To go skinny dipping
(d) To go to a dance
5. Nick accuses Marjorie of always _____________________.
(a) laughing at the wrong moments
(b) forgetting the matches
(c) knowing everything
(d) tipping the boat
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a quai?
2. Who else is attempting to leave Smyrna?
3. Who is Bugs?
4. Which book of Hemingway's will devote more time to his war hospital recovery?
5. Who is Krebs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway use dialogue to indicate that the couple's marriage is probably doomed?
2. How does Hemingway contrast the passive lives of Mr. and Mrs. Elliot with the passion of the young bullfighter?
3. Who is the narrator of the story and why is he in Turkey?
4. What is the premise of the story "My Old Man" in Chapter 13?
5. Explain how the young matador shows disrespect to the older matadors.
6. What is the significance of the character, Nick Adams, introduced in this chapter?
7. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
8. Explain the significance of the wet, dead leaves affixed to the bodies of the condemned men in the Memoir for Chapter 5.
9. Explain the real source of conflict in the story and why it is entitled "The Doctor and The Doctor's Wife."
10. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)