|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Krebs tell about the war?
(b) Occasional stories
(d) His actual experiences
2. What shocking event occurs this night for Nick, his father and Uncle George?
(a) There is a lynching in town
(b) The local forest catches fire
(c) The country goes to war with Japan
(d) A man commits suicide by slitting his throat
3. What do Nick and Bill talk about?
(a) Whiskey, baseball and cars
(b) Whiskey, baseball and books
(c) School, baseball and books
(d) Whiskey, girls and baseball
4. What feeling does Nick have on this morning?
(a) That he does not want to leave
(b) That he will never die
(c) That he wants to remember this morning forever
(d) That he is homesick
5. What does Nick's father hire some local Indians to do?
(a) Cut logs that have drifted onto his property
(b) Till a new garden
(c) Paint his house
(d) Plant some new trees
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick do when he learns that his mother wants to see him?
2. Where does Krebs plan to go to get a job?
3. What do Nick and his nurse do before he returns to the front lines?
4. What profession does Nick's father have?
5. Where did Bugs meet Ad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scenario of the Memoir in Chapter 10?
2. How do Nick's war wound and recovery experience mirror Hemingway's own life?
3. What is the setting for the story "The End of Something" in Chapter 3?
4. Explain the irony of the Memoir in Chapter 11.
5. How does the story's setting also serve as a metaphor?
6. What parallel does Hemingway draw between the fire-ravaged region Nick walks through at home and the war he has just left behind?
7. What is meant by "riding the rails" in the story in Chapter 5?
8. In the Story of Chapter 8, another Hungarian man is introduced as the main character. Describe his situation.
9. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
10. How does Nick deal with his injury and fear of death in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)