|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the soldier in the Memoir for Chapter 7 doing?
(a) Smoking a cigarette
(b) Cleaning his gun
(c) Praying in a trench
(d) Writing a letter
2. What job did the narrator have in the war?
3. Nick's recovery in a hospital mirrors whose life?
4. What does Nick do when he learns that his mother wants to see him?
(a) Takes the car into town
(b) Goes on a walk with his father
(c) Takes the boat out onto the lake
(d) Goes fishing
5. What do Nick and Bill decide to do?
(a) Get drunk
(b) Go fishing
(c) Call some girls
(d) Enlist in the army
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Marjorie brought along tonight?
2. What do the sailors on the Simpson do to the evacuees every night?
3. What does Krebs' mother want him to do?
4. What does Nick's father call the floating logs?
5. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How else does Hemingway allude to another meaning of the word "blow?"
2. In the Story of Chapter 8, another Hungarian man is introduced as the main character. Describe his situation.
3. Who is the narrator of the story and why is he in Turkey?
4. How does the story's setting also serve as a metaphor?
5. How does Hemingway showcase the classic theme of good vs. evil in the disparate stories of the Hungarian robbers and the Hungarian Communist?
6. Explain the irony of the Memoir in Chapter 11.
7. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
8. Explain the significance of the saying, "There are no atheists in foxholes" as it relates to the Memoir for Chapter 7.
9. Explain the subject for "Big Two-Hearted River: Part I," the story for Chapter 14.
10. Explain the significance of Marjorie saying, "There's our old ruin, Nick."
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)