|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nick's father's profession?
2. What war does the narrator mention in the memoir for Chapter 1?
(a) World War II
(b) The Vietnam War
(c) The Korean War
(d) World War I
3. Where does Krebs plan to go to get a job?
(a) Des Moines
(c) Kansas City
4. What is unusual about Ad's face?
(a) He has no eyebrows
(b) He is scarred on the entire left side
(c) One eye is brown, the other is blue
(d) His eyes are slits, nose is sunken and an ear is missing
5. Why are Nick and Marjorie together on this night?
(a) To go skinny dipping
(b) To go to a dance
(c) To elope
(d) To set night lines for trout
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Nick in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
2. What does Bill's father say makes drunkards?
3. What do the Greek soldiers do to their mules after they break the front legs of the animals?
4. What job did the narrator have in the war?
5. What does Krebs' mother allow him to do now?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway contrast the passive lives of Mr. and Mrs. Elliot with the passion of the young bullfighter?
2. Explain the real source of conflict in the story and why it is entitled "The Doctor and The Doctor's Wife."
3. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
4. Explain the subject for "Big Two-Hearted River: Part I," the story for Chapter 14.
5. Explain why the mountain is a metaphor in the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12.
6. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
7. How does Hemingway end the story on a more hopeful note than how it began?
8. What is the scenario for the story in Chapter 2?
9. Why does the ending of his relationship with his nurse particularly wound Nick?
10. How does the story's setting also serve as a metaphor?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)