|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nick sustain his injury?
(a) He falls on an icy sidewalk
(b) He is hit by a car
(c) He falls down stairs
(d) He is sucker punched
2. What does Nick's father hire some local Indians to do?
(a) Till a new garden
(b) Paint his house
(c) Plant some new trees
(d) Cut logs that have drifted onto his property
3. What does Nick do when he learns that his mother wants to see him?
(a) Goes on a walk with his father
(b) Takes the car into town
(c) Takes the boat out onto the lake
(d) Goes fishing
4. Who is Ad Francis?
(a) A Wall Street executive
(b) An author
(c) A former prizefighter
(d) A minister
5. Which book of Hemingway's will devote more time to his war hospital recovery?
(a) To Have and Have Not
(b) The Sun Also Rises
(c) For Whom the Bell Tolls
(d) A Farewell to Arms
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krebs want most of all?
2. What fills the muddy roads leading out of the city?
3. Why does Dr. Adams think Boulton picked a fight with him?
4. Who is Nick's nurse in Padua?
5. To where does Nick walk to visit his friend, Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Krebs short-tempered with his mother and her plans for his new life?
2. Who is the narrator of the Memoir for Chapter 13, and with whom does he interact in this very short scene?
3. Explain the significance of the wet, dead leaves affixed to the bodies of the condemned men in the Memoir for Chapter 5.
4. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
5. Describe the format of this book.
6. Explain the symbolism of the disassembled fishing rods carried by the young American wife.
7. What is the scenario of bullfighting in the Memoir of Chapter 9?
8. How does Hemingway showcase the classic theme of good vs. evil in the disparate stories of the Hungarian robbers and the Hungarian Communist?
9. Explain the subject for "Big Two-Hearted River: Part I," the story for Chapter 14.
10. What are the reasons that Krebs has a difficult time adjusting to civilian life after leaving his military life?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)