|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nick's father not do?
2. What does Krebs think he would like to have?
(a) A family
(b) A job
(c) A car
(d) A girlfriend
3. What is the relationship between Nick and his nurse?
(a) They are cordial
(b) He wants to marry her
(c) They do not get along
(d) It is very strained
4. What is the attitude of the narrator telling the story?
5. Who is Dick Boulton?
(a) A school board member
(b) The mayor of the town
(c) The head of the local plumbers union
(d) One of the men who comes to work for Nick's father
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ad get mad at Nick?
2. What does Ad tell Nick about himself?
3. Who is Marjorie?
4. What is the soldier in the Memoir for Chapter 7 doing?
5. What has Marjorie brought along tonight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though Nick initiated the break up with Marjorie, he is still overcome with emotion. How does Hemingway indicate this to the reader?
2. Explain the real source of conflict in the story and why it is entitled "The Doctor and The Doctor's Wife."
3. Why is Krebs short-tempered with his mother and her plans for his new life?
4. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
5. How does Hemingway showcase the classic theme of good vs. evil in the disparate stories of the Hungarian robbers and the Hungarian Communist?
6. What parallel does Hemingway draw between the fire-ravaged region Nick walks through at home and the war he has just left behind?
7. Describe the narrator's tone in the Memoir for Chapter 4.
8. How does Nick deal with his injury and fear of death in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
9. What is the setting for the story "The End of Something" in Chapter 3?
10. What is a quai and what is its significance to the story?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)