|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Nick's nurse in Padua?
2. What is a quai?
(a) A legal term
(b) A flock of quails
(c) A loud noise
(d) A dock
3. Who is Agnes von Kurowsky?
(a) The public relations rep for a publishing company
(b) The nurse with whom Hemingway has an affair
(c) The wife of Hemingway's sergeant
(d) Hemingway's editor
4. Who is Bugs?
(a) Ad's traveling companion
(b) Nick's college roommate
(c) A cartoon bunny
(d) A gangster
5. What does Nick say is no longer any fun?
(c) Skinny dipping
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the story for Chapter 7 take place?
2. What do Nick and Bill talk about?
3. What job did the narrator have in the war?
4. What is a woman doing on a cart?
5. What does Nick's father hire some local Indians to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway end the story on a more hopeful note than how it began?
2. What is the setting for the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12?
3. Describe the setting for the Story in Chapter 10, "Cat in the Rain."
4. Why does Hemingway insert the sullen waitress at the inn?
5. What is a quai and what is its significance to the story?
6. How do Nick's war wound and recovery experience mirror Hemingway's own life?
7. How does Hemingway use dialogue to indicate that the couple's marriage is probably doomed?
8. Describe how Hemingway's writing style captures the drama and bravado of Villalta, a very successful matador.
9. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
10. Explain the significance of the wet, dead leaves affixed to the bodies of the condemned men in the Memoir for Chapter 5.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)