|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nick's father hire some local Indians to do?
(a) Till a new garden
(b) Paint his house
(c) Plant some new trees
(d) Cut logs that have drifted onto his property
2. What does Krebs want most of all?
(a) To take a cruise
(b) To move to California
(c) To live without any consequences
(d) A car
3. What is a woman doing on a cart?
(a) Giving birth
(c) Holding a suitcase
(d) Polishing a gun
4. What do Nick and Marjorie see?
(a) A defunct lumber mill
(b) A tornado
(c) A shooting star
(d) A car accident
5. Where did Bugs meet Ad?
(a) In school
(b) In jail
(d) A homeless shelter
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nick find Bill?
2. Why does Nick's nurse leave for Pordenone?
3. What do Nick and Bill talk about?
4. Who is Bugs?
5. Which one of Nick's friends asks about Marjorie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting for the Story in Chapter 10, "Cat in the Rain."
2. Explain the classic father-son relationship as it plays out at the end of this story.
3. How does Hemingway give Ad a sense of pride despite his seriously compromised situation?
4. Explain the significance of the wet, dead leaves affixed to the bodies of the condemned men in the Memoir for Chapter 5.
5. Explain the significance of the bullfighting scenario in the Memoir of Chapter 9.
6. What are the main themes of the story which will become important throughout the entire book?
7. How does Hemingway end the story on a more hopeful note than how it began?
8. Explain the symbolism of the disassembled fishing rods carried by the young American wife.
9. Describe the character Peduzzi in the Story in Chapter 11.
10. Why is Krebs short-tempered with his mother and her plans for his new life?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)