|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
(a) Rowing in a boat
(b) Playing tennis
(c) Riding bicycles
2. What is the narrator doing in the Memoir?
(a) He is on vacation
(b) He is with his combat unit
(c) He is visiting relatives
(d) He is writing restaurant reviews
3. What do Nick and his nurse do before he returns to the front lines?
(b) Get married
(d) Break up
4. What does Ad tell Nick about himself?
(a) He regrets his career choice
(b) He is dying
(c) He is going to stage a comeback
(d) He is crazy
5. What has Marjorie brought along tonight?
(a) A bottle of champagne
(b) A transistor radio
(c) A picnic lunch
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Agnes von Kurowsky?
2. What does Nick do when he learns that his mother wants to see him?
3. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
4. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
5. What is a quai?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Peduzzi in the Story in Chapter 11.
2. What is the topic of the Memoir for Chapter 1?
3. Explain the significance of the saying, "There are no atheists in foxholes" as it relates to the Memoir for Chapter 7.
4. Explain the significance of the wet, dead leaves affixed to the bodies of the condemned men in the Memoir for Chapter 5.
5. What is the significance of "The Three-Day Blow," the story's title?
6. What is the setting for the story "The End of Something" in Chapter 3?
7. What is the setting for the story "Cross-Country Snow" in Chapter 12?
8. What is the most atrocious thing the officer has witnessed during this war and evacuation?
9. What is the scenario for the story in Chapter 2?
10. What are the circumstances of the "On the Quai at Smyrna" story?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)