|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Elliot pay to have published?
(a) A gift for his wife
(b) A book of poetry
(c) A book of sketches
(d) An autobiography
2. What kind of feeling does the wife have when the hotel keeper bows to her?
(a) Supreme importance
3. What does the wife tell the maid that she wanted?
(a) Her dry cleaning
(b) Room service
(c) The cat
(d) Her car
4. What is the personality of the answer to #101
5. How does Mrs. Elliot fill her days?
(a) Tutoring high school students
(b) Working in the garden
(c) Baking cookies
(d) Typing Mr. Elliot's poetry
6. What is the last news of the traveler?
(a) He died in an avalanche in the Alps
(b) He fell in love with a Polish girl
(c) He is in a Swiss jail
(d) He is living in New York
7. Who is Joe in the story for Chapter 13?
(a) A plumber
(b) The narrator
(c) Nick's new friend
(d) A fisherman
8. Who is Sam Cardinella in the Memoir for Chapter 15?
(a) A chocolatier
(b) A Chicago criminal
(c) An author
(d) A wine maker
9. Where does Nick debark from the train?
(a) Ann Arbor
10. Where is the first race of the season on the racing circuit?
11. What does the maid give the wife?
(a) An umbrella
(b) A hair dryer
(c) Fresh towels
(d) Clean laundry
12. Who is Villalta in the Memoir for Chapter 12?
(a) An actor
(b) A sculptor
(c) A winemaker
(d) A bullfighter
13. Where do Nick and his friend stop for a meal?
(a) A truck stop
(c) The Hyatt
(d) An inn
14. What do Nick and his friend realize as they talk?
(a) They were both once in love with the same girl
(b) This is the last time they will go skiing together
(c) They have been overcharged on their bill
(d) The waitress has been eavesdropping
15. What are Mr. and Mrs. Elliot unsuccessful at achieving?
(a) Having a baby
(b) Remodeling the kitchen
(c) Learning French
(d) Buying a house
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about the waitress serving Nick and his friend?
2. The story in Chapter 8 is not so much a story as a ______________________.
3. In what city does the Memoir for Chapter 8 take place?
4. What type of editorial work does Mr. Elliot write?
5. What part of the area does Nick avoid?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)