|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Krebs' mother allow him to do now?
(a) Move to a bigger city
(b) Take the car in the evenings
(c) Bring a girl home for dinner
(d) Get a job
2. Smyrna is located in what country?
3. What does Nick's father hire some local Indians to do?
(a) Paint his house
(b) Till a new garden
(c) Plant some new trees
(d) Cut logs that have drifted onto his property
4. What does Dick Boulton call the logs?
(a) A nuisance
(b) Stolen property
(d) Zeus' toothpicks
5. Why does Nick's nurse leave for Pordenone?
(a) To open a hospital
(b) To buy a house
(c) To attend college
(d) To care for her parents
6. What do the Greek soldiers do to their mules after they break the front legs of the animals?
(a) Bludgeon them to death
(b) Force them to carry heavy loads
(c) Shoot them in the head
(d) Push them off the dock into shallow water
7. What war does the narrator mention in the memoir for Chapter 1?
(a) The Vietnam War
(b) The Korean War
(c) World War I
(d) World War II
8. What has Marjorie brought along tonight?
(b) A transistor radio
(c) A bottle of champagne
(d) A picnic lunch
9. What does Nick's father not do?
10. In what year does the story for Chapter 7 take place?
11. Which book of Hemingway's will devote more time to his war hospital recovery?
(a) To Have and Have Not
(b) A Farewell to Arms
(c) For Whom the Bell Tolls
(d) The Sun Also Rises
12. What is Nick's mood?
13. What does Bugs do to calm Ad down?
(a) Makes him drink whiskey
(b) Gives him a sedative
(c) Knocks him out
(d) Sings a lullaby
14. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
(a) Riding bicycles
(b) Playing tennis
(c) Rowing in a boat
15. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the location of the Story in Chapter 3?
2. What does Krebs tell about the war?
3. What does Nick call his friend, Rinaldi, in the Memoir?
4. Why are Nick and Marjorie together on this night?
5. In the Memoir for Chapter 4, what do the soldiers use for a barricade against the enemy?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)