|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the evacuees do every night at midnight?
2. Whose life does the character of Nick Adams parallel?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald
(b) Ernest Hemingway
(c) William Faulkner
(d) T.S. Eliot
3. What do Nick and Marjorie see?
(a) A tornado
(b) A car accident
(c) A shooting star
(d) A defunct lumber mill
4. Where does Krebs live?
(d) New Mexico
5. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
6. What is the location of the Memoir for Chapter 3?
(b) South Africa
7. What is meant by "riding the rails?"
(a) Driving a semi truck
(b) Putting up fences
(c) Riding on trains without paying the fare
(d) Taking the subway
8. What do Nick and Bill drink?
(c) Irish whiskey
(d) Hot chocolate
9. What does Dick Boulton call the logs?
(a) Zeus' toothpicks
(c) Stolen property
(d) A nuisance
10. Why does the Lieutenant ride his horse out into the field?
(a) He is lost
(b) He is drunk
(c) He is looking for mines
(d) He is exploring
11. Why does Nick's nurse leave for Pordenone?
(a) To attend college
(b) To buy a house
(c) To care for her parents
(d) To open a hospital
12. What does Nick say is no longer any fun?
(a) Skinny dipping
13. What is the soldier in the Memoir for Chapter 7 doing?
(a) Writing a letter
(b) Smoking a cigarette
(c) Praying in a trench
(d) Cleaning his gun
14. What do the sailors on the Simpson do to the evacuees every night?
(a) Give them food
(b) Yell at them to go home
(c) Provide first aid
(d) Run their searchlight up and down the crowd
15. To where does Nick walk to visit his friend, Bill?
(a) Country road
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Nick have on this morning?
2. What do Nick and Bill decide to do?
3. What has Marjorie brought along tonight?
4. What is the attitude of the narrator telling the story?
5. What does Nick's father not do?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)