|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soldier promise in the trench that he does not do when danger has passed?
(a) Tell everyone about Jesus
(b) Write a letter to his girlfriend
(c) Stop smoking
(d) Call his mother
2. What is the attitude of the narrator telling the story?
3. Which one of Nick's friends asks about Marjorie?
4. Where did Bugs meet Ad?
(a) A homeless shelter
(b) In school
(c) In jail
5. What do the sailors on the Simpson do to the evacuees every night?
(a) Give them food
(b) Provide first aid
(c) Run their searchlight up and down the crowd
(d) Yell at them to go home
6. What does Ad ask Nick to give him?
7. What does Nick say about his father?
(a) He is too strict
(b) He loves him unconditionally
(c) He is always sad
(d) He has missed a lot in life
8. Who else is attempting to leave Smyrna?
(a) Romanian gypsies
(b) Russian immigrants
(c) Greek civilians
(d) U.S. tourists
9. How long has Nick's nurse stayed on night duty to care for him?
(a) 3 days
(b) 3 months
(c) 3 years
(d) 3 weeks
10. Who is Agnes von Kurowsky?
(a) Hemingway's editor
(b) The nurse with whom Hemingway has an affair
(c) The public relations rep for a publishing company
(d) The wife of Hemingway's sergeant
11. Who is Krebs?
(a) A soldier adjusting to civilian life
(b) Nick's recruiting officer
(c) Nick's sergeant
(d) Nick's best army buddy
12. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
(a) The Russian navy
(b) The French army
(c) The U.S. navy
(d) The Greek army
13. Why are Nick and Marjorie together on this night?
(a) To set night lines for trout
(b) To go skinny dipping
(c) To elope
(d) To go to a dance
14. Why does Uncle George not accompany Nick and his father back to their camp that night?
(a) He is tired of fishing and sleeping outside
(b) He has to go to work in the morning
(c) He is too shaken by what he has witnessed
(d) He is too sick to stay overnight in the woods
15. What does Ad tell Nick about himself?
(a) He is going to stage a comeback
(b) He is dying
(c) He regrets his career choice
(d) He is crazy
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the girl Nick has recently broken up with?
2. What do the Greek soldiers do to their mules after they break the front legs of the animals?
3. What does Krebs' mother want him to do?
4. What has happened to Nick in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
5. Who is Ad Francis?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)