|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Krebs think he would like to have?
(a) A job
(b) A car
(c) A family
(d) A girlfriend
2. Why does the Lieutenant ride his horse out into the field?
(a) He is exploring
(b) He is looking for mines
(c) He is lost
(d) He is drunk
3. What is meant by "riding the rails?"
(a) Riding on trains without paying the fare
(b) Taking the subway
(c) Driving a semi truck
(d) Putting up fences
4. Who is the unnamed narrator of the story?
(a) A French waiter
(b) A Buddhist monk
(c) A Hungarian gypsy
(d) An American officer
5. What is a woman doing on a cart?
(b) Giving birth
(c) Polishing a gun
(d) Holding a suitcase
6. Who is Dick Boulton?
(a) One of the men who comes to work for Nick's father
(b) The head of the local plumbers union
(c) The mayor of the town
(d) A school board member
7. What is the nature of the problem with which Nick's father can assist?
(a) A man needs a will drawn up
(b) A man has hacked off his forearm
(c) A woman is having trouble delivering a baby
(d) A man has been indicted on criminal charges
8. A U.S. ship called the Simpson is in a ______________ state.
(a) stand down
9. What does Nick do when he learns that his mother wants to see him?
(a) Takes the car into town
(b) Goes fishing
(c) Takes the boat out onto the lake
(d) Goes on a walk with his father
10. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
(a) The French army
(b) The Greek army
(c) The Russian navy
(d) The U.S. navy
11. What has happened to Nick in the Memoir of Chapter 6?
(a) He was shot in the spine
(b) He graduated college
(c) He got married
(d) He got a new job
12. What do Nick and Bill drink?
(a) Hot chocolate
(b) Irish whiskey
13. What does the soldier promise in the trench that he does not do when danger has passed?
(a) Call his mother
(b) Tell everyone about Jesus
(c) Write a letter to his girlfriend
(d) Stop smoking
14. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
(a) Riding bicycles
(b) Playing tennis
(c) Rowing in a boat
15. Why are Nick and Marjorie together on this night?
(a) To go skinny dipping
(b) To set night lines for trout
(c) To elope
(d) To go to a dance
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick Boulton call the logs?
2. Where does Nick find Bill?
3. Who is Ad Francis?
4. Which one of Nick's friends asks about Marjorie?
5. What has Marjorie brought along tonight?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)