|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocking event occurs this night for Nick, his father and Uncle George?
(a) The local forest catches fire
(b) The country goes to war with Japan
(c) A man commits suicide by slitting his throat
(d) There is a lynching in town
2. In what year does the story for Chapter 7 take place?
3. What is the attitude of the narrator telling the story?
4. What is the narrator doing in the Memoir?
(a) He is writing restaurant reviews
(b) He is on vacation
(c) He is with his combat unit
(d) He is visiting relatives
5. What does Ad ask Nick to give him?
6. Why do Nick and Bill not go out in the boat?
(a) The pond is frozen
(b) It is too cold
(c) It is being repaired
(d) It is too dark
7. Where does Krebs live?
(a) New Mexico
8. What does Nick say is no longer any fun?
(d) Skinny dipping
9. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
(a) Rowing in a boat
(b) Riding bicycles
(d) Playing tennis
10. What does the soldier promise in the trench that he does not do when danger has passed?
(a) Call his mother
(b) Write a letter to his girlfriend
(c) Stop smoking
(d) Tell everyone about Jesus
11. What does Nick's father call the floating logs?
(d) A nuisance
12. What makes Krebs' mother cry?
(a) When Krebs and his father fight
(b) When Krebs slaps her
(c) When Krebs says he does not love anybody
(d) When Krebs says he is going to reenlist
13. What does Nick do when he learns that his mother wants to see him?
(a) Takes the boat out onto the lake
(b) Takes the car into town
(c) Goes fishing
(d) Goes on a walk with his father
14. Who comes for Nick's father for help while he and Nick are on a fishing trip?
(a) A Marine
(b) Two criminals
(c) A banker
(d) Two loggers
15. What is the soldier in the Memoir for Chapter 7 doing?
(a) Smoking a cigarette
(b) Writing a letter
(c) Praying in a trench
(d) Cleaning his gun
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick Boulton call the logs?
2. What does Krebs think he would like to have?
3. What is the nature of the problem with which Nick's father can assist?
4. What does Nick say about his father?
5. Why does Ad get mad at Nick?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)