|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nick accuses Marjorie of always _____________________.
(a) tipping the boat
(b) forgetting the matches
(c) laughing at the wrong moments
(d) knowing everything
2. Smyrna is located in what country?
3. What does Dr. Adams do in his bedroom?
(a) Loads and unloads his shotgun
(b) Takes a nap
(c) Reads a book
(d) Changes his clothes
4. In the Memoir for Chapter 5, what are the condemned army officers covered with before their execution?
(b) Olive oil
(c) Wet, dead leaves
5. Where does Nick find Bill?
(a) In town
(b) At the library
(c) At his father's cottage
(d) At school
6. What does Boulton call Nick's father?
7. Who is Agnes von Kurowsky?
(a) The public relations rep for a publishing company
(b) The nurse with whom Hemingway has an affair
(c) Hemingway's editor
(d) The wife of Hemingway's sergeant
8. Where does Nick like to spend time at the hospital?
(a) The roof
(b) The chapel
(c) The cafeteria
(d) The lobby
9. According to the narrator, what is the worst scene among the evacuees?
(a) Women vomiting in the streets
(b) Men begging for food
(c) The women with dead babies who will not relinquish them
(d) Children crying for milk
10. What war does the narrator mention in the memoir for Chapter 1?
(a) The Korean War
(b) The Vietnam War
(c) World War II
(d) World War I
11. What is the soldier in the Memoir for Chapter 7 doing?
(a) Praying in a trench
(b) Smoking a cigarette
(c) Writing a letter
(d) Cleaning his gun
12. Where does Krebs plan to go to get a job?
(b) Kansas City
(d) Des Moines
13. Who is the girl Nick has recently broken up with?
(d) Mary Ellen
14. What does Krebs' mother allow him to do now?
(a) Take the car in the evenings
(b) Move to a bigger city
(c) Bring a girl home for dinner
(d) Get a job
15. What do the evacuees do every night at midnight?
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Krebs' mother cry?
2. When do Nick and his nurse meet again?
3. What job did the narrator have in the war?
4. In what year does this story take place?
5. Who is Ad Francis?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)