|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a woman doing on a cart?
(a) Giving birth
(b) Polishing a gun
(c) Holding a suitcase
2. What does Krebs think he would like to have?
(a) A job
(b) A girlfriend
(c) A car
(d) A family
3. What does Krebs' mother allow him to do now?
(a) Get a job
(b) Bring a girl home for dinner
(c) Take the car in the evenings
(d) Move to a bigger city
4. What does Ad tell Nick about himself?
(a) He is crazy
(b) He regrets his career choice
(c) He is dying
(d) He is going to stage a comeback
5. What do the sailors on the Simpson do to the evacuees every night?
(a) Yell at them to go home
(b) Give them food
(c) Run their searchlight up and down the crowd
(d) Provide first aid
6. Whose life does the character of Nick Adams parallel?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald
(b) Ernest Hemingway
(c) T.S. Eliot
(d) William Faulkner
7. What does Nick do when he learns that his mother wants to see him?
(a) Goes on a walk with his father
(b) Takes the boat out onto the lake
(c) Goes fishing
(d) Takes the car into town
8. Which one of Nick's friends asks about Marjorie?
9. Why do Nick and Bill not go out in the boat?
(a) It is too dark
(b) It is being repaired
(c) The pond is frozen
(d) It is too cold
10. Nick's recovery in a hospital mirrors whose life?
11. What does Ad ask Nick to give him?
12. Smyrna is located in what country?
13. What fills the muddy roads leading out of the city?
(a) Greek citizens pulling carts with all their belongings
(b) Garbage from a garbage strike
(c) Water from unrelenting rains
(d) Tanks and other military vehicles
14. When do Nick and his nurse meet again?
(a) When he gets leave
(b) When she quits her job
(c) When she comes to America
(d) After the armistice
15. What is the location of the Memoir for Chapter 3?
(a) South Africa
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Agnes von Kurowsky?
2. Who is Nick's nurse in Padua?
3. Where does Nick like to spend time at the hospital?
4. Who is Marjorie?
5. What is the narrator doing in the Memoir?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)