|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is the worst scene among the evacuees?
(a) Men begging for food
(b) Children crying for milk
(c) The women with dead babies who will not relinquish them
(d) Women vomiting in the streets
2. What does Krebs' mother want him to do?
(a) Go to college
(b) Move out of the house
(c) Make something of himself and get married
(d) Take care of his grandmother
3. Smyrna is located in what country?
4. In what year does the story for Chapter 7 take place?
5. What does Krebs want most of all?
(a) To move to California
(b) To take a cruise
(c) To live without any consequences
(d) A car
6. Why does Ad get mad at Nick?
(a) He does not have any cigarettes
(b) He does not give him the knife
(c) He insults his mother
(d) He does not have any whiskey
7. Whose life does the character of Nick Adams parallel?
(a) Ernest Hemingway
(b) T.S. Eliot
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald
(d) William Faulkner
8. What makes Krebs' mother cry?
(a) When Krebs says he is going to reenlist
(b) When Krebs slaps her
(c) When Krebs says he does not love anybody
(d) When Krebs and his father fight
9. What is unusual about Ad's face?
(a) His eyes are slits, nose is sunken and an ear is missing
(b) One eye is brown, the other is blue
(c) He is scarred on the entire left side
(d) He has no eyebrows
10. Why are Nick and Marjorie together on this night?
(a) To set night lines for trout
(b) To go to a dance
(c) To go skinny dipping
(d) To elope
11. Nick accuses Marjorie of always _____________________.
(a) laughing at the wrong moments
(b) forgetting the matches
(c) knowing everything
(d) tipping the boat
12. What does Krebs think he would like to have?
(a) A family
(b) A job
(c) A car
(d) A girlfriend
13. What is the nature of the problem with which Nick's father can assist?
(a) A man needs a will drawn up
(b) A man has hacked off his forearm
(c) A woman is having trouble delivering a baby
(d) A man has been indicted on criminal charges
14. In the Memoir for Chapter 5, what are the condemned army officers covered with before their execution?
(b) Wet, dead leaves
(c) Olive oil
15. What does Bugs do to calm Ad down?
(a) Makes him drink whiskey
(b) Sings a lullaby
(c) Gives him a sedative
(d) Knocks him out
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else is attempting to leave Smyrna?
2. What has Marjorie brought along tonight?
3. Where does Nick like to spend time at the hospital?
4. What is the location of the Story in Chapter 3?
5. Who is Nick's nurse in Padua?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)