|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Krebs live?
(d) New Mexico
2. What is meant by "riding the rails?"
(a) Riding on trains without paying the fare
(b) Putting up fences
(c) Driving a semi truck
(d) Taking the subway
3. How long has Nick's nurse stayed on night duty to care for him?
(a) 3 years
(b) 3 months
(c) 3 weeks
(d) 3 days
4. What does Nick's father call the floating logs?
(d) A nuisance
5. Who is Dick Boulton?
(a) A school board member
(b) The mayor of the town
(c) One of the men who comes to work for Nick's father
(d) The head of the local plumbers union
6. In the Memoir for Chapter 5, what are the condemned army officers covered with before their execution?
(c) Wet, dead leaves
(d) Olive oil
7. What do Nick and Bill drink?
(a) Hot chocolate
(b) Irish whiskey
8. What does Krebs' mother want him to do?
(a) Move out of the house
(b) Make something of himself and get married
(c) Take care of his grandmother
(d) Go to college
9. What does Dr. Adams do in his bedroom?
(a) Changes his clothes
(b) Loads and unloads his shotgun
(c) Takes a nap
(d) Reads a book
10. What does Bill's father say makes drunkards?
(a) Too much money
(b) No self restraint
(c) Opening liquor bottles
(d) Sad memories
11. In what year does this story take place?
12. What is a quai?
(a) A legal term
(b) A flock of quails
(c) A loud noise
(d) A dock
13. Who is Nick's nurse in Padua?
14. What does Krebs tell about the war?
(a) His actual experiences
(c) Occasional stories
15. What profession does Nick's father have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick's father not do?
2. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
3. Who is Ad Francis?
4. Who comes for Nick's father for help while he and Nick are on a fishing trip?
5. Nick's recovery in a hospital mirrors whose life?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)