|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the location of the Story in Chapter 3?
(b) New Mexico
2. What has Marjorie brought along tonight?
(a) A bottle of champagne
(b) A picnic lunch
(c) A transistor radio
3. What does Nick's father hire some local Indians to do?
(a) Plant some new trees
(b) Cut logs that have drifted onto his property
(c) Till a new garden
(d) Paint his house
4. What do the sailors on the Simpson do to the evacuees every night?
(a) Yell at them to go home
(b) Provide first aid
(c) Run their searchlight up and down the crowd
(d) Give them food
5. Where does Nick find Bill?
(a) At his father's cottage
(b) In town
(c) At the library
(d) At school
6. What is the attitude of the narrator telling the story?
7. What does Dick Boulton call the logs?
(a) Zeus' toothpicks
(b) Stolen property
(c) A nuisance
8. Where did Bugs meet Ad?
(b) In school
(c) A homeless shelter
(d) In jail
9. Smyrna is located in what country?
10. What does Nick's father call the floating logs?
(c) A nuisance
11. What fills the muddy roads leading out of the city?
(a) Garbage from a garbage strike
(b) Water from unrelenting rains
(c) Tanks and other military vehicles
(d) Greek citizens pulling carts with all their belongings
12. What does Krebs' mother allow him to do now?
(a) Take the car in the evenings
(b) Get a job
(c) Bring a girl home for dinner
(d) Move to a bigger city
13. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
(b) Riding bicycles
(c) Rowing in a boat
(d) Playing tennis
14. A U.S. ship called the Simpson is in a ______________ state.
(a) stand down
15. What does Dr. Adams do in his bedroom?
(a) Changes his clothes
(b) Takes a nap
(c) Reads a book
(d) Loads and unloads his shotgun
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did the narrator have in the war?
2. Who is Marjorie?
3. What does Ad ask Nick to give him?
4. What is meant by "riding the rails?"
5. What do Nick, his father and Uncle George deal with at the Indian camp?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)