|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nick say about his father?
(a) He has missed a lot in life
(b) He is too strict
(c) He loves him unconditionally
(d) He is always sad
2. What do Nick and Marjorie see?
(a) A defunct lumber mill
(b) A tornado
(c) A car accident
(d) A shooting star
3. What does Krebs' mother allow him to do now?
(a) Bring a girl home for dinner
(b) Move to a bigger city
(c) Take the car in the evenings
(d) Get a job
4. What feeling does Nick have on this morning?
(a) That he wants to remember this morning forever
(b) That he does not want to leave
(c) That he is homesick
(d) That he will never die
5. What is the location of the Story in Chapter 3?
(a) New Mexico
6. What is the soldier in the Memoir for Chapter 7 doing?
(a) Cleaning his gun
(b) Praying in a trench
(c) Smoking a cigarette
(d) Writing a letter
7. According to the narrator, what is the worst scene among the evacuees?
(a) Women vomiting in the streets
(b) Men begging for food
(c) Children crying for milk
(d) The women with dead babies who will not relinquish them
8. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
(b) Rowing in a boat
(c) Playing tennis
(d) Riding bicycles
9. What war does the narrator mention in the memoir for Chapter 1?
(a) The Vietnam War
(b) World War II
(c) World War I
(d) The Korean War
10. What does Krebs think he would like to have?
(a) A car
(b) A family
(c) A girlfriend
(d) A job
11. What does the soldier promise in the trench that he does not do when danger has passed?
(a) Tell everyone about Jesus
(b) Stop smoking
(c) Call his mother
(d) Write a letter to his girlfriend
12. What does Nick call his friend, Rinaldi, in the Memoir?
(a) The best friend he has ever had
(b) A disappointing audience
(c) A man among men
(d) A poor excuse for a man
13. How does Nick sustain his injury?
(a) He is sucker punched
(b) He falls down stairs
(c) He falls on an icy sidewalk
(d) He is hit by a car
14. What does Nick say is no longer any fun?
(a) Skinny dipping
15. What is a woman doing on a cart?
(b) Holding a suitcase
(c) Giving birth
(d) Polishing a gun
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Nick and Bill talk about?
2. What is unusual about Ad's face?
3. What shocking event occurs this night for Nick, his father and Uncle George?
4. What do Nick and his nurse do before he returns to the front lines?
5. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)