|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about Ad's face?
(a) One eye is brown, the other is blue
(b) He has no eyebrows
(c) His eyes are slits, nose is sunken and an ear is missing
(d) He is scarred on the entire left side
2. What do Nick and Bill decide to do?
(a) Call some girls
(b) Enlist in the army
(c) Get drunk
(d) Go fishing
3. What does Bugs do to calm Ad down?
(a) Makes him drink whiskey
(b) Knocks him out
(c) Sings a lullaby
(d) Gives him a sedative
4. What does Krebs tell about the war?
(a) His actual experiences
(b) Occasional stories
5. Who is Dick Boulton?
(a) The mayor of the town
(b) A school board member
(c) The head of the local plumbers union
(d) One of the men who comes to work for Nick's father
6. Where does Nick find Bill?
(a) At school
(b) At his father's cottage
(c) At the library
(d) In town
7. Why does Uncle George not accompany Nick and his father back to their camp that night?
(a) He is too sick to stay overnight in the woods
(b) He has to go to work in the morning
(c) He is tired of fishing and sleeping outside
(d) He is too shaken by what he has witnessed
8. What feeling does Nick have on this morning?
(a) That he will never die
(b) That he wants to remember this morning forever
(c) That he is homesick
(d) That he does not want to leave
9. What does Ad tell Nick about himself?
(a) He is going to stage a comeback
(b) He is crazy
(c) He regrets his career choice
(d) He is dying
10. Where does Krebs live?
(d) New Mexico
11. Who else is attempting to leave Smyrna?
(a) Romanian gypsies
(b) Russian immigrants
(c) Greek civilians
(d) U.S. tourists
12. What does Nick call his friend, Rinaldi, in the Memoir?
(a) The best friend he has ever had
(b) A disappointing audience
(c) A poor excuse for a man
(d) A man among men
13. Who is Ad Francis?
(a) A minister
(b) A former prizefighter
(c) A Wall Street executive
(d) An author
14. What is Nick's father's profession?
15. What is the soldier in the Memoir for Chapter 7 doing?
(a) Smoking a cigarette
(b) Praying in a trench
(c) Writing a letter
(d) Cleaning his gun
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ad ask Nick to give him?
2. In what year does this story take place?
3. What do the evacuees do every night at midnight?
4. Who is Nick's nurse in Padua?
5. What do the sailors on the Simpson do to the evacuees every night?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)