|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
(a) Playing tennis
(b) Riding bicycles
(d) Rowing in a boat
2. Nick accuses Marjorie of always _____________________.
(a) knowing everything
(b) tipping the boat
(c) laughing at the wrong moments
(d) forgetting the matches
3. What makes Krebs' mother cry?
(a) When Krebs says he is going to reenlist
(b) When Krebs says he does not love anybody
(c) When Krebs and his father fight
(d) When Krebs slaps her
4. What does Krebs' mother want him to do?
(a) Make something of himself and get married
(b) Go to college
(c) Take care of his grandmother
(d) Move out of the house
5. What does Krebs think he would like to have?
(a) A car
(b) A girlfriend
(c) A job
(d) A family
6. A U.S. ship called the Simpson is in a ______________ state.
(a) stand down
7. In what year does the story for Chapter 7 take place?
8. Why does Uncle George not accompany Nick and his father back to their camp that night?
(a) He has to go to work in the morning
(b) He is too sick to stay overnight in the woods
(c) He is tired of fishing and sleeping outside
(d) He is too shaken by what he has witnessed
9. What is meant by "riding the rails?"
(a) Riding on trains without paying the fare
(b) Taking the subway
(c) Driving a semi truck
(d) Putting up fences
10. What do Nick, his father and Uncle George deal with at the Indian camp?
(a) Floods washing away the cabins
(b) A primitive caesarean section for a breech birth
(c) Wounds from knife fights
(d) Fires burning all around the camp
11. Nick's recovery in a hospital mirrors whose life?
12. What does Dick Boulton call the logs?
(b) Stolen property
(c) Zeus' toothpicks
(d) A nuisance
13. What does Nick's father not do?
14. What feeling does Nick have on this morning?
(a) That he does not want to leave
(b) That he wants to remember this morning forever
(c) That he will never die
(d) That he is homesick
15. According to the narrator, what is the worst scene among the evacuees?
(a) Children crying for milk
(b) Women vomiting in the streets
(c) The women with dead babies who will not relinquish them
(d) Men begging for food
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Krebs plan to go to get a job?
2. Who comes for Nick's father for help while he and Nick are on a fishing trip?
3. About what do Nick and Bill agree is better than baseball?
4. Where did Bugs meet Ad?
5. What does Ad tell Nick about himself?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)