|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Nick, his father and Uncle George deal with at the Indian camp?
(a) Wounds from knife fights
(b) Fires burning all around the camp
(c) Floods washing away the cabins
(d) A primitive caesarean section for a breech birth
2. What is Nick's mood?
3. What is a quai?
(a) A dock
(b) A flock of quails
(c) A loud noise
(d) A legal term
4. Where does Krebs live?
(c) New Mexico
5. What does Nick call his friend, Rinaldi, in the Memoir?
(a) A disappointing audience
(b) A poor excuse for a man
(c) The best friend he has ever had
(d) A man among men
6. What makes Krebs' mother cry?
(a) When Krebs and his father fight
(b) When Krebs says he does not love anybody
(c) When Krebs slaps her
(d) When Krebs says he is going to reenlist
7. What is Nick's father's profession?
8. Who comes for Nick's father for help while he and Nick are on a fishing trip?
(a) A banker
(b) Two loggers
(c) Two criminals
(d) A Marine
9. Who is Agnes von Kurowsky?
(a) The nurse with whom Hemingway has an affair
(b) Hemingway's editor
(c) The wife of Hemingway's sergeant
(d) The public relations rep for a publishing company
10. Which one of Nick's friends asks about Marjorie?
11. What does Nick say about his father?
(a) He is always sad
(b) He is too strict
(c) He has missed a lot in life
(d) He loves him unconditionally
12. Who else is attempting to leave Smyrna?
(a) Romanian gypsies
(b) Russian immigrants
(c) U.S. tourists
(d) Greek civilians
13. What does Ad ask Nick to give him?
14. What does Krebs want most of all?
(a) A car
(b) To move to California
(c) To live without any consequences
(d) To take a cruise
15. What feeling does Nick have on this morning?
(a) That he will never die
(b) That he is homesick
(c) That he wants to remember this morning forever
(d) That he does not want to leave
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Marjorie brought along tonight?
2. What is meant by "riding the rails?"
3. Who is Ad Francis?
4. What is the narrator doing in the Memoir?
5. What do Nick and Bill talk about?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)