|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Nick and Bill drink?
(a) Hot chocolate
(b) Irish whiskey
2. Why does Uncle George not accompany Nick and his father back to their camp that night?
(a) He has to go to work in the morning
(b) He is too shaken by what he has witnessed
(c) He is too sick to stay overnight in the woods
(d) He is tired of fishing and sleeping outside
3. What is unusual about Ad's face?
(a) He has no eyebrows
(b) He is scarred on the entire left side
(c) His eyes are slits, nose is sunken and an ear is missing
(d) One eye is brown, the other is blue
4. What is the location of the Memoir for Chapter 3?
(a) South Africa
5. What does Nick say is no longer any fun?
(a) Skinny dipping
6. To where does Nick walk to visit his friend, Bill?
(b) Country road
7. What does Nick's father hire some local Indians to do?
(a) Paint his house
(b) Till a new garden
(c) Cut logs that have drifted onto his property
(d) Plant some new trees
8. Nick accuses Marjorie of always _____________________.
(a) tipping the boat
(b) knowing everything
(c) laughing at the wrong moments
(d) forgetting the matches
9. Why does Ad get mad at Nick?
(a) He does not have any whiskey
(b) He does not give him the knife
(c) He does not have any cigarettes
(d) He insults his mother
10. Who is Agnes von Kurowsky?
(a) The nurse with whom Hemingway has an affair
(b) Hemingway's editor
(c) The public relations rep for a publishing company
(d) The wife of Hemingway's sergeant
11. Which one of Nick's friends asks about Marjorie?
12. What does Bill's father say makes drunkards?
(a) Too much money
(b) No self restraint
(c) Sad memories
(d) Opening liquor bottles
13. What does Bugs offer to Nick?
14. In the Memoir for Chapter 5, what are the condemned army officers covered with before their execution?
(a) Wet, dead leaves
(c) Olive oil
15. Why does Nick's nurse leave for Pordenone?
(a) To care for her parents
(b) To attend college
(c) To buy a house
(d) To open a hospital
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nick's nurse in Padua?
2. What does Boulton call Nick's father?
3. A U.S. ship called the Simpson is in a ______________ state.
4. Who is Krebs?
5. Who is Ad Francis?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)