|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose life does the character of Nick Adams parallel?
(a) Ernest Hemingway
(b) T.S. Eliot
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald
(d) William Faulkner
2. What job did the narrator have in the war?
3. Who else is attempting to leave Smyrna?
(a) Russian immigrants
(b) U.S. tourists
(c) Romanian gypsies
(d) Greek civilians
4. According to the narrator, what is the worst scene among the evacuees?
(a) Women vomiting in the streets
(b) Children crying for milk
(c) The women with dead babies who will not relinquish them
(d) Men begging for food
5. What are Nick and Marjorie doing as the story begins?
(a) Playing tennis
(b) Riding bicycles
(c) Rowing in a boat
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for the Memoir of Chapter 2?
2. Why does the Lieutenant ride his horse out into the field?
3. What is the narrator doing in the Memoir?
4. Why are Nick and Marjorie together on this night?
5. Why does Uncle George not accompany Nick and his father back to their camp that night?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)