"On the Quai at Smyrna"
1. In what year does this story take place?
2. Smyrna is located in what country?
3. Who is the unnamed narrator of the story?
(a) A Hungarian gypsy
(b) A French waiter
(c) An American officer
(d) A Buddhist monk
4. What is a quai?
(a) A flock of quails
(b) A dock
(c) A legal term
(d) A loud noise
5. What do the evacuees do every night at midnight?
6. According to the narrator, what is the worst scene among the evacuees?
(a) Children crying for milk
(b) Men begging for food
(c) Women vomiting in the streets
(d) The women with dead babies who will not relinquish them
7. A U.S. ship called the Simpson is in a ______________ state.
(b) stand down
8. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
(a) The Greek army
(b) The Russian navy
(c) The French army
(d) The U.S. navy
9. Who else is attempting to leave Smyrna?
(a) U.S. tourists
(b) Greek civilians
(c) Russian immigrants
(d) Romanian gypsies
This section contains 3,709 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)