"On the Quai at Smyrna"
1. In what year does this story take place?
2. Smyrna is located in what country?
3. Who is the unnamed narrator of the story?
(a) A Buddhist monk
(b) An American officer
(c) A French waiter
(d) A Hungarian gypsy
4. What is a quai?
(a) A flock of quails
(b) A loud noise
(c) A dock
(d) A legal term
5. What do the evacuees do every night at midnight?
6. According to the narrator, what is the worst scene among the evacuees?
(a) Men begging for food
(b) Children crying for milk
(c) The women with dead babies who will not relinquish them
(d) Women vomiting in the streets
7. A U.S. ship called the Simpson is in a ______________ state.
(d) stand down
8. What military force is withdrawing from the city of Smyrna?
(a) The Russian navy
(b) The French army
(c) The Greek army
(d) The U.S. navy
9. Who else is attempting to leave Smyrna?
(a) Russian immigrants
(b) Greek civilians
(c) Romanian gypsies
(d) U.S. tourists
This section contains 3,709 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)