|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The term ___________________ is used to mean the worldwide assertion of American power for the "good" of other civilizations.
2. What was the explorer looking for when he discovered the Philippines?
3. What does Aguinaldo tell his men to do?
4. What creates resentment among the growing Filipino educated class?
5. The country is ruled indirectly from what for three hundred years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the exploration by European countries.
2. What happens when some Spaniards resent the injustice of the Spanish towards the natives?
3. What happens within ten years of Legazpi's rule?
4. What happens to Aguinaldo when McKinley easily sweeps the elections for a second term?
5. What occurs after a rebellion in Cuba takes place?
6. How do the Americans deal with guerrilla tactics?
7. Why does Aginaldo become upset with Dewey?
8. Describe the beginning of the war.
9. Describe the religion in the Philippines under Spanish rule.
10. What do the Anti-Imperialists feel about the expansionist movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are similarities between many American wars.
Part 1) Name three wars that have similarities.
Part 2) What are these similarities? Why do these similarities exist?
Part 3) Are these similarities good or bad? Why? How can the United States learn from these similarities?
Essay Topic 2
President McKinley is an intriguing character.
Part 1) Describe McKinley. How might he be intriguing?
Part 2) What role did he play in the development of a relationship between the United States and the Philippines?
Part 3) How might this relationship have been different if McKinley had a different personality?
Essay Topic 3
Nationalism is a powerful tool that can be used to sway public opinion.
Part 1) What is nationalism? How is it a powerful tool?
Part 2) How did it sway public opinion in both the United States and the Philippines?
Part 3) How does nationalism still sway public opinion today? Is nationalism good or bad? Why?
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)