|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Ferdinand Magellan sail for India with a Portuguese fleet?
2. Theodore Roosevelt is a student of Mahan's THE INFLUENCE OF SEA POWER ON HISTORY and desires to make the United States what?
3. What stories heavily influence the natives?
4. What do Aguinaldo's men do to American prisoners?
5. The connection between the United States and _________________ is both long lasting and complex.
Short Essay Questions
1. What good does General Otis do for the natives?
2. Why does Aginaldo become upset with Dewey?
3. What effect does the belief that the U.S. could benefit from having a colony in the Far East have on the United States?
4. What did Prince Henry do for Portuguese exploration?
5. What happens when more American troops are requested?
6. What happens within ten years of Legazpi's rule?
7. What happens when young Filipino men are educated abroad?
8. What happens when some Spaniards resent the injustice of the Spanish towards the natives?
9. What is happening in the United States during this same time period?
10. What happens when the U.S. warship "Maine" explodes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nationalism is a powerful tool that can be used to sway public opinion.
Part 1) What is nationalism? How is it a powerful tool?
Part 2) How did it sway public opinion in both the United States and the Philippines?
Part 3) How does nationalism still sway public opinion today? Is nationalism good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 2
It is ironic that the culture of the Filipinos is viewed as "savage" by the Spanish.
Part 1) Describe their culture prior to Spanish influence.
Part 2) Why was their culture considered savage? How is this ironic?
Part 3) Are you surprised by this culture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Douglas MacArthur is like his father in many ways.
Part 1) Describe Douglas. How is he like his father?
Part 2) How does his behavior and personality affect those around him?
Part 3) Was he raised to be this way? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)