|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much difficulty do the Americans have winning most skirmishes?
2. From where does the Spaniards' main threat come?
3. By the end of the day, how many Filipinos are dead?
4. Mark Twain, Samuel Gompers and _________________ find themselves oddly on the same side of the expansionism issue.
5. Why does Aguinaldo depart to the mainland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the religion in the Philippines under Spanish rule.
2. What happens when young Filipino men are educated abroad?
3. What occurs after a rebellion in Cuba takes place?
4. What is happening in the United States during this same time period?
5. Describe Magellan's voyage beginning in 1519.
6. What happens when some Spaniards resent the injustice of the Spanish towards the natives?
7. Describe the beginning of the war.
8. What takes place during the mid 1800s in America?
9. What does President McKinley do in January of 1900?
10. Describe Ferdinand Magellan's early career as an explorer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ninoy Aquino is killed when returning to the Philippines.
Part 1) Why does he return? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
Part 2) Who might have had him killed? Why how do you know this?
Part 3) Does his death help or hurt his cause? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The United States policy of improving the Philippines does help many locals.
Part 1) What is the United States policy?
Part 2) How does it improve the Philippines?
Part 3) Overall, has the United States been more helpful or detrimental to the Filipino people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
An intimate relationship has developed between the United States and the Philippines over the past one hundred years.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How did it begin?
Part 2) How has the relationship evolved? How do these changes reflect the changes of opinion by Americans and United States' leadership?
Part 3) How have these changes made the Philippines what it is today?
This section contains 1,499 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)