|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under what pretext does a civilian commission set up offices in Manila?
(a) Finding work for the natives.
(b) Getting the point of view of the natives.
(c) Protecting Americans in the Philippines.
(d) Educating the natives.
2. When does Ferdinand Magellan sail for India with a Portuguese fleet?
3. How do priests adapt to life in the Philippines?
(a) They learn the language.
(b) They abandon all aspects of their previous culture.
(c) They learn the language and culture, often abandoning their vows and marrying.
(d) They force the natives to comply to their way of life.
4. What were the Philippines to the Spanish initially?
(a) A colony.
(b) An enemy.
(c) A state.
(d) An ally.
5. What begins roaming the countryside, killing American collaborators?
(a) Former United States soldiers.
(b) Filipino clergy.
(c) Filipino death squads.
(d) Japanese death squads.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under pressure, McKinley appoints Roosevelt as the assistant secretary to whom, who is the secretary of the navy?
2. Who have found their lives inexorably linked to the Philippines?
3. How many weeks does it take to reach the Pacific Ocean?
4. How does Aguinaldo feel when he finds out about Dewey's triumph against the Spanish fleet?
5. As military governor, how does MacArthur treat Taft?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Americans deal with guerrilla tactics?
2. What effect does the belief that the U.S. could benefit from having a colony in the Far East have on the United States?
3. What occurs after a rebellion in Cuba takes place?
4. What does McKinley do when the Spanish fleet is destroyed in Manila?
5. What do the Anti-Imperialists feel about the expansionist movement?
6. What happens when the U.S. warship "Maine" explodes?
7. What happens within ten years of Legazpi's rule?
8. What is Emilio Aguinaldo doing at this time?
9. Describe the exploration by European countries.
10. What good does General Otis do for the natives?
This section contains 1,447 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)