|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does U.S. trade do to the gap between rich and poor?
(a) It creates it.
(b) It makes it non-existent.
(c) It widens it.
(d) It shrinks it.
2. A pre-CIA organization selects Ramon Magsaysay, who quickly rises through the Filipino legislative ranks. What does Magsaysay cunningly create where he gives rebels the option to surrender, but attacks mercilessly if they decline the offer?
(a) A useless threat.
(b) A typical ultimatum.
(c) A "tortoise and hare" approach.
(d) A "carrot and stick" approach.
3. Why is MacArthur castigated?
(a) For stalling an attack against protesting WWI veterans.
(b) For not attacking protesting WWI veterans.
(c) For aggressively leading an attack against protesting WWI veterans.
(d) For mocking protesting WWI veterans.
4. What language is taught?
5. What is Manila dubbed?
(a) "No Man's Land."
(b) "The Diamond in the Rough."
(c) "America of the East."
(d) "The Pearl of the Orient."
6. How long is Ninoy Aquino jailed?
(a) For one year.
(b) For almost five years.
(c) Throughout most of the 1970s.
(d) Throughout most of the 1960s.
7. Why does Marcos leave a relationship (where he had produced four out of wedlock children) to marry Imelda Visitacion?
(a) He was in love with her.
(b) She was extremely beautiful.
(c) She was very wealthy.
(d) For purely political reasons.
8. Who does Ninoy take with him for his return flight?
(a) CIA agents.
(b) Several members of the press.
(c) The Marcos.
(d) A militia.
9. Who does Marcos jail?
(a) Nina Garcia.
(b) Nemo Aquarius.
(c) Ninoy Aquino.
(d) Leonard Nemoy.
10. What does Marcos come to resent regarding Ninoy?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His extreme wealth.
(c) His hero status.
(d) His humility.
11. Where is Ferdinand Marcos born on September 11, 1917?
(a) Northern Luzon.
(b) Southern Lisbon.
(c) Northern Lisbon.
(d) Southern Luzon.
12. When the so-called "Jones" bill is re-drafted in the House in 1914, what does it give the Filipinos?
(a) Sovereignty as soon as an official president is elected.
(b) Sovereignty as soon as a "stable government " is established.
(c) Sovereignty as soon as they pay the United States a substantial fee.
(d) Sovereignty as soon as they have a certain amount of wealth.
13. Why are MacArthur's B-17s easily destroyed by the Japanese planes?
(a) They are arranged on an aircraft carrier.
(b) They are out of fuel and are forced to go into enemy territory.
(c) They are flying in Japanese air space.
(d) They are still neatly arranged on the runway.
14. By 1909, there are ________________ elementary schools and four hundred thousand pupils in the Philippines.
(a) Four thousand.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Two thousand.
15. What strengthens Ninoy's power?
(a) His wife.
(b) His abilities as a speaker.
(c) His presidential campaign.
(d) His funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does MacArthur feel about being reassigned to the Philippines?
2. How does Marcos seize on local unrest in 1971?
3. Privately, what does Osmena tell Harrison?
4. What does MacArthur do once he divorces his wife?
5. Why does Quezon take a secretive trip to Japan in 1938?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)