|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the so-called "Jones" bill is re-drafted in the House in 1914, what does it give the Filipinos?
(a) Sovereignty as soon as a "stable government " is established.
(b) Sovereignty as soon as they pay the United States a substantial fee.
(c) Sovereignty as soon as an official president is elected.
(d) Sovereignty as soon as they have a certain amount of wealth.
2. In late December, what does Japanese Lieutenant General Masaharu Homma plan to do?
(a) Capture the main Philippine island of Luzon in just ten days.
(b) Capture the main Philippine island of Luzon in just one hundred days.
(c) Capture the main Philippine island of Luzon in just twenty days.
(d) Capture the main Philippine island of Luzon in just fifty days.
3. How do many Filipinos feel about emancipation at this stage?
4. What does Francis Harrison quickly do when he becomes the U.S. governor of the Philippines?
(a) He attempts to "Americanize" the Filipinos.
(b) He shows the power he has over the Filipinos.
(c) He assimilates to the Filipino culture and becomes popular with the locals.
(d) He becomes very unpopular among the natives.
5. What does President Roxas do in order to pass wanted legislation?
(a) He blackmails members of the Filipino Parliament.
(b) He has several members of the Filipino Parliament murdered.
(c) He bribes members of the Filipino Parliament.
(d) He denies seats to eleven opposition members of the Filipino Parliament under questionable charges.
6. On the home front, with what is Quezon having difficulty?
(a) Growing unrest over the massive economic inequalities in his country.
(b) Finding enough products to be exported from the Philippines.
(c) Encouraging other countries to import goods.
(d) Earning enough money for his country.
7. Quezon shows himself to be what kind of politician?
(a) A practical one.
(b) A quiet one.
(c) A radical one.
(d) An uncertain one.
8. Why do some American legislators threaten to withhold foreign aid?
(a) Until the assassin is captured.
(b) Until Marcos resigns as President.
(c) Until Ninoy is dead.
(d) Until Ninoy is handed over to them.
9. Who does Ninoy take with him for his return flight?
(a) CIA agents.
(b) A militia.
(c) The Marcos.
(d) Several members of the press.
10. What does Taft believe will only hurt trade between the U.S. and the Philippines?
(a) Philippine independence.
(b) Putting Quezon in power.
(c) Keeping the Philippines as a colony.
(d) Putting Osmena in power.
11. How does MacArthur feel about being reassigned to the Philippines?
12. What strengthens Ninoy's power?
(a) His abilities as a speaker.
(b) His wife.
(c) His funeral.
(d) His presidential campaign.
13. When Woodrow Wilson is elected president, what do Filipinos prematurely assume will happen?
(a) They will gain independence immediately.
(b) They will lose all chances for independence.
(c) Their independence will lag.
(d) Their independence will be hastened.
14. What does Marcos artfully negotiate to serve in Vietnam for a large amount of U.S. federal aid?
(a) A regiment of Flipino troops.
(b) As a leader of American troops.
(c) A "ghost" regiment of Filipino troops.
(d) A surrender deal of the Vietcong.
15. What is Manila dubbed?
(a) "The Pearl of the Orient."
(b) "The Diamond in the Rough."
(c) "America of the East."
(d) "No Man's Land."
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1907, what do Osmena and Quezon form?
2. What does Quirino's ineptitude only help to strengthen?
3. What does Imelda Marcos do regarding Ninoy?
4. Despite the shortcomings and unrealistic expectations, _______________ quickly becomes the most literate nation in southeast Asia.
5. What does congress do with many of Taft's grand plans for improving the Philippines?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)