|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In late December, what does Japanese Lieutenant General Masaharu Homma plan to do?
(a) Capture the main Philippine island of Luzon in just ten days.
(b) Capture the main Philippine island of Luzon in just fifty days.
(c) Capture the main Philippine island of Luzon in just one hundred days.
(d) Capture the main Philippine island of Luzon in just twenty days.
2. When does another insurgency group form in northern Luzon?
3. As Marcos debates how he will sidestep the Philippine constitution to start an illegal third term in office, what does the local press worry?
(a) He "might become a stronger leader, once he has more experience during his third term in office."
(b) He "might become a megalomaniac, drunk with his own importance [and] even consider enthroning himself as lifetime president or dictator."
(c) He "might do a better job during his third term in office."
(d) He "might try to continue being in power after three terms in office."
4. Quezon shows himself to be what kind of politician?
(a) A practical one.
(b) A quiet one.
(c) A radical one.
(d) An uncertain one.
5. On what day is Pearl Harbor attacked?
(a) December 7, 1941.
(b) December 7, 1940.
(c) November 7, 1940.
(d) November 7, 1941.
6. How does Colonel Douglas MacArthur distinguish himself in the waning years of World War I?
(a) With his courage, arrogance, and negilence under fire.
(b) With his prowess, hatred, and intelligence under fire.
(c) With his courage, prowess, and brashness under fire.
(d) With his wealth, intelligence, and brashness under fire.
7. What does President Roxas do in order to pass wanted legislation?
(a) He blackmails members of the Filipino Parliament.
(b) He bribes members of the Filipino Parliament.
(c) He has several members of the Filipino Parliament murdered.
(d) He denies seats to eleven opposition members of the Filipino Parliament under questionable charges.
8. What does MacArthur do once he divorces his wife?
(a) He marries a Filipino woman.
(b) He takes a Filipino mistress.
(c) He vows to never marry again.
(d) He becomes a priest.
9. When the so-called "Jones" bill is re-drafted in the House in 1914, what does it give the Filipinos?
(a) Sovereignty as soon as they have a certain amount of wealth.
(b) Sovereignty as soon as a "stable government " is established.
(c) Sovereignty as soon as an official president is elected.
(d) Sovereignty as soon as they pay the United States a substantial fee.
10. What does U.S. Major General Edward King do on April 9, 1942?
(a) He surrenders the force of eight thousand to the Japanese.
(b) He surrenders the force of eight hundred to the Japanese.
(c) He surrenders the force of eighty thousand to the Japanese.
(d) He surrenders the force of eight hundred thousand to the Japanese.
11. Why does Quezon go to Washington D.C.?
(a) He is invited by the President of the United States.
(b) He is a Filipino representative.
(c) He is running for an American political office.
(d) He would like to see the nation's capital.
12. When Woodrow Wilson is elected president, what do Filipinos prematurely assume will happen?
(a) They will gain independence immediately.
(b) Their independence will be hastened.
(c) Their independence will lag.
(d) They will lose all chances for independence.
13. What does Marcos artfully negotiate to serve in Vietnam for a large amount of U.S. federal aid?
(a) As a leader of American troops.
(b) A surrender deal of the Vietcong.
(c) A regiment of Flipino troops.
(d) A "ghost" regiment of Filipino troops.
14. Why do some American legislators threaten to withhold foreign aid?
(a) Until Ninoy is handed over to them.
(b) Until Marcos resigns as President.
(c) Until Ninoy is dead.
(d) Until the assassin is captured.
15. What type of defensive system does MacArthur envision?
(a) A Swiss-style defensive system.
(b) A Swedish-style defensive system.
(c) A Chinese-style defensive system.
(d) A Dutch-style defensive system.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Nationalistic insurgent groups see Quezon?
2. When is Nino's wife, Cory, allowed to visit him?
3. How do MacArthur's troops soon find themselves after he makes this decision?
4. By whom are the Japanese aided?
5. Who does MacArthur support while turning away his old friend Osmena?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)