|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aguinaldo tell his men to do?
(a) To flee the country.
(b) To completely abandon conventional warfare and harass American troops whenever possible.
(c) Protect the Americans to show that they are a civilized people.
(d) To assimilate to the American culture so as to convince the Americans that they have surrendered.
2. Who aggressively works for forty years to send out sea voyages?
(a) Prince Henry.
(b) Prince Charles.
(c) Prince Harry.
(d) Prince William.
3. What are many powerful individuals now considering?
(a) The possible harm a U.S. colony would cause a group of people in the Far East.
(b) The excitement of a U.S. colony in the Far East.
(c) The uselessness of a U.S. colony in the Far East.
(d) The possible benefits of a U.S. colony in the Far East.
4. McKinley does not want complications with the insurgents, but is still trying to do what?
(a) Reach a negotiated deal with the Spanish.
(b) Become friends with the insurgents.
(c) Avoid making the Philippines a U.S. colony.
(d) Appease the Philippine people.
5. Theodore Roosevelt is a student of Mahan's THE INFLUENCE OF SEA POWER ON HISTORY and desires to make the United States what?
(a) A mighty nation.
(b) A haughty nation.
(c) A negligent nation.
(d) A pampered nation.
6. When does the crew gaze upon the Philippines for the first time?
(a) April 1521.
(b) March 1621.
(c) April 1621.
(d) March 1521.
7. What happens to the Philippines under Spanish rule?
(a) They die.
(b) They prosper.
(c) They stagnate.
(d) They become attached to the Spanish.
8. What Portuguese explorer leads a successful voyage around the Horn of Africa and lands in India in 1498?
(a) Ferdinand Magellan.
(b) Christopher Columbus.
(c) Vasco da Gama.
(d) Franz Ferdinand.
9. How does Aguinaldo feel when McKinley easily sweeps the elections for a second term, with Roosevelt as his running mate?
10. What does Aguinaldo assume that the United States will guarantee for the Philippines?
11. Where do the Spaniards set up a trading post?
(a) In Fiji.
(b) In Manila.
(c) In Tokyo.
(d) In Bataan.
12. With the Spanish fleet destroyed in Manila, McKinley appoints _________ to command the U.S. Army to take the city itself, still held by the Spanish.
(a) Major General John Merritt.
(b) Major General William Merritt.
(c) Major General Jacob Merritt.
(d) Major General Wesley Merritt.
13. How many weeks does it take to reach the Pacific Ocean?
14. In January 1900, who does President McKinley summon to discuss the Philippines?
(a) Federal judge George Bethune Adams.
(b) Federal judge Owen Murphy Panner.
(c) Federal judge Lawrence Edward Walsh.
(d) Federal judge William Howard Taft.
15. Since McKinley does not want war, what does he do?
(a) He forbids war.
(b) He runs a successful anti-war campaign.
(c) He resigns.
(d) He tries stalling.
Short Answer Questions
1. How and when does the huge Philippine sugar trade begin enticing numerous other countries to the area?
2. What creates a harsh feudal system when it comes to land ownership and taxation?
3. When asked to clarify the overall U.S. mission, how does McKinley respond?
4. By the end of the day, how many Filipinos are dead?
5. When more troops are requested, how large does the army become within a year?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)