|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Magellan wrongly charged with corruption, then exonerated?
2. On what do the Spanish soldiers excitedly concentrate?
(a) Selling the Philippines to the United States.
(b) Collecting revenue and converting the population to Christianity.
(c) Finding a route to enhance their power in the spice trade.
(d) Preparing the Philippine people to be independent.
3. What do the Americans do to the village of Caloocan?
(a) They convert it to Christianity.
(b) They protect it.
(c) They overwhelm it and burn it to the ground.
(d) They save it.
4. How and when does the huge Philippine sugar trade begin enticing numerous other countries to the area?
(a) In the 1700s.
(b) In the 1800s.
(c) In the 1900s.
(d) In the 1600s.
5. How does Aguinaldo feel when he finds out about Dewey's triumph against the Spanish fleet?
(a) He is upset he hadn't been included in the planning, as well as the actual fighting.
(b) He is nervous that Dewey will turn on him.
(c) He is jealous that he was not able to do the same.
(d) He is relieved that he did not have to get involved.
6. Why does this person agree to depart for Manila to take the position of governor?
(a) He has aspirations of becoming a Supreme Court judge.
(b) He enjoys traveling around the world.
(c) He has family that lives in Manila.
(d) He would like to learn more about the Philippine culture.
7. Conservative President Grover Cleveland ______________ pressure to annex Hawaii and attack Cuba.
(d) Succumbs to.
8. What happens when Schurman presses McKinley for a cease-fire?
(a) McKinley rejects Schurman's request for a cease-fire.
(b) Otis' own team members desert him, and the settlement is abandoned.
(c) Otis' own team members support him, and the settlement is accepted.
(d) McKinley ignores Schurman's request for a cease-fire.
9. Theodore Roosevelt is a student of Mahan's THE INFLUENCE OF SEA POWER ON HISTORY and desires to make the United States what?
(a) A negligent nation.
(b) A pampered nation.
(c) A haughty nation.
(d) A mighty nation.
10. How does Long react when Roosevelt connives to have a fellow expansionist appointed as the next Navy Commodore?
(a) Long reprimands Roosevelt but allow his appointee to stand.
(b) Long resigns as the secretary.
(c) Long rewards Roosevelt.
(d) Long reprimands Roosevelt and does not allow the appointee to stand.
11. What Portuguese explorer leads a successful voyage around the Horn of Africa and lands in India in 1498?
(a) Vasco da Gama.
(b) Christopher Columbus.
(c) Franz Ferdinand.
(d) Ferdinand Magellan.
12. Of what does McKinley have no knowledge?
(a) Local affairs.
(b) Far Eastern affairs.
(c) Political affairs.
(d) Foreign affairs.
13. When did the United States take the Philippines as a "prize?"
(a) In the French and Indian ar.
(b) In the Cold War.
(c) In the Spanish American War.
(d) In World War I.
14. European countries move out by sea and land to explore the unknown reaches of the world in what is known as what?
(a) The "Age of Enlightenment."
(b) The "Age of Discovery."
(c) The "Age of the Dinosaurs."
(d) The "Age of Man."
15. Under what pretext does a civilian commission set up offices in Manila?
(a) Finding work for the natives.
(b) Educating the natives.
(c) Getting the point of view of the natives.
(d) Protecting Americans in the Philippines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aguinaldo assume that the United States will guarantee for the Philippines?
2. What has happened to McKinley's inauguration pledge to not seek to gain territory beyond the borders of the United States?
3. What was the explorer looking for when he discovered the Philippines?
4. The connection between the United States and _________________ is both long lasting and complex.
5. What do Aguinaldo's men do to American prisoners?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)