|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes more common for Filipinos?
(a) To attack after American troops enter a town.
(b) To run away from the American troops.
(c) To surrender to American troops entering a town, then attack later.
(d) To attack American troops as they enter a town.
2. European countries move out by sea and land to explore the unknown reaches of the world in what is known as what?
(a) The "Age of Enlightenment."
(b) The "Age of Man."
(c) The "Age of the Dinosaurs."
(d) The "Age of Discovery."
3. When Roosevelt takes over as acting secretary, he looks at means of overthrowing who in Cuba and the Philippines?
(a) The Cubans and the Filipinos.
(b) Fidel Castro.
(c) The Spanish.
(d) The Portuguese.
4. How do priests adapt to life in the Philippines?
(a) They abandon all aspects of their previous culture.
(b) They learn the language.
(c) They force the natives to comply to their way of life.
(d) They learn the language and culture, often abandoning their vows and marrying.
5. How does Long react when Roosevelt connives to have a fellow expansionist appointed as the next Navy Commodore?
(a) Long resigns as the secretary.
(b) Long reprimands Roosevelt and does not allow the appointee to stand.
(c) Long reprimands Roosevelt but allow his appointee to stand.
(d) Long rewards Roosevelt.
6. What happens to the Philippines under Spanish rule?
(a) They die.
(b) They stagnate.
(c) They become attached to the Spanish.
(d) They prosper.
7. When do the Portuguese explore the West African coast and round the continent itself?
8. With the Spanish fleet destroyed in Manila, McKinley appoints _________ to command the U.S. Army to take the city itself, still held by the Spanish.
(a) Major General Jacob Merritt.
(b) Major General John Merritt.
(c) Major General Wesley Merritt.
(d) Major General William Merritt.
9. Why does Aguinaldo depart to the mainland?
(a) To flee the war.
(b) To meet with Dewey.
(c) To raise an army to fight the Spanish.
(d) To escape the Americans.
10. How is the carnage affecting many American troops?
(a) They are becoming less interested in fighting.
(b) They are becoming desensitized.
(c) They are becoming more sensitive to the situation.
(d) They are becoming less aggressive and willing to fight.
11. What creates resentment among the growing Filipino educated class?
(a) Allowing them to be educated in their own country but not abroad.
(b) Allowing them to be educated abroad but not in their own country.
(c) Not allowing Filipinos to be educated, but allowing them to become priests.
(d) Allowing Filipinos to be educated, but not allowing them to become priests.
12. How is Aguinaldo captured?
(a) The Americans kill all of his men.
(b) The Americans capture him after a small skirmish.
(c) The Americans use a "Trojan horse" scenario.
(d) The Americans use a "carrot and stick" scenario.
13. What does McKinley's policy set up?
(a) The somewhat successful turn of events with the friendly native population that is to come.
(b) The useless turn of events with the friendly native population that is to come.
(c) The disastrous turn of events with the friendly native population that is to come.
(d) The successful turn of events with the friendly native population that is to come.
14. When does Ferdinand Magellan sail for India with a Portuguese fleet?
15. How many weeks does it take to reach the Pacific Ocean?
Short Answer Questions
1. How has the Filipino perception of the United States changed over the years?
2. The locals are supposed to be self-ruling, but in reality, who has total control?
3. Theodore Roosevelt is a student of Mahan's THE INFLUENCE OF SEA POWER ON HISTORY and desires to make the United States what?
4. Where do the Spaniards set up a trading post?
5. What do some men do to avoid mandatory "service"?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)