|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the commission reports recommend?
(a) Enforced autonomy.
(b) Enforced dependence.
(c) Voluntary dependence.
(d) Voluntary autonomy.
2. How do priests adapt to life in the Philippines?
(a) They learn the language and culture, often abandoning their vows and marrying.
(b) They abandon all aspects of their previous culture.
(c) They learn the language.
(d) They force the natives to comply to their way of life.
3. What were the Philippines to the Spanish initially?
(a) A colony.
(b) An enemy.
(c) A state.
(d) An ally.
4. When did the United States take the Philippines as a "prize?"
(a) In the Spanish American War.
(b) In World War I.
(c) In the French and Indian ar.
(d) In the Cold War.
5. What is the result of Dewey's cutting the telegraph cable out of Manila?
(a) It causes a war.
(b) It greatly slows down direct communication.
(c) It causes widespread fear.
(d) It encourages Filipino ingenuity.
6. The _____________ view surpasses the expansionism view for most of the remainder of the 1800s.
7. European countries move out by sea and land to explore the unknown reaches of the world in what is known as what?
(a) The "Age of the Dinosaurs."
(b) The "Age of Discovery."
(c) The "Age of Enlightenment."
(d) The "Age of Man."
8. When does the crew gaze upon the Philippines for the first time?
(a) April 1621.
(b) March 1621.
(c) March 1521.
(d) April 1521.
9. What creates a harsh feudal system when it comes to land ownership and taxation?
(a) The "encomienda" system.
(b) The "esclavitud" system.
(c) The "Spaniard" system.
(d) The "pobre" system.
10. When more troops are requested, how large does the army become within a year?
(a) It grows to seventy five thousand.
(b) It grows to seventy five hundred.
(c) It grows to fifty thousand.
(d) It grows to one hundred thousand.
11. Of what does McKinley have no knowledge?
(a) Local affairs.
(b) Far Eastern affairs.
(c) Foreign affairs.
(d) Political affairs.
12. The connection between the United States and _________________ is both long lasting and complex.
(d) The Philippines.
13. What happens to the Philippines under Spanish rule?
(a) They die.
(b) They prosper.
(c) They become attached to the Spanish.
(d) They stagnate.
14. What was the explorer looking for when he discovered the Philippines?
(a) Territory to own.
(c) People to convert to Christianity.
(d) A spice route to the Indies.
15. As Filipinos gain power and prestige, what happens to their relationship with Spain?
(a) It becomes friendlier.
(b) It becomes stronger.
(c) It becomes strained.
(d) It becomes more protective.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a rebellion in Cuba get much attention in the United States?
2. How many troops does Filipino General Luna quickly get to surround the city of Manila?
3. Mark Twain, Samuel Gompers and _________________ find themselves oddly on the same side of the expansionism issue.
4. What begins roaming the countryside, killing American collaborators?
5. What creates resentment among the growing Filipino educated class?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)