|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Stumbling Toward Self-rule.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under pressure, McKinley appoints Roosevelt as the assistant secretary to whom, who is the secretary of the navy?
(a) Jasper Long.
(b) Scott Long.
(c) Brandon Long.
(d) John Long.
2. When does Ferdinand Magellan sail for India with a Portuguese fleet?
3. In January 1900, who does President McKinley summon to discuss the Philippines?
(a) Federal judge Lawrence Edward Walsh.
(b) Federal judge George Bethune Adams.
(c) Federal judge William Howard Taft.
(d) Federal judge Owen Murphy Panner.
4. McKinley does not want complications with the insurgents, but is still trying to do what?
(a) Become friends with the insurgents.
(b) Reach a negotiated deal with the Spanish.
(c) Appease the Philippine people.
(d) Avoid making the Philippines a U.S. colony.
5. The _____________ view surpasses the expansionism view for most of the remainder of the 1800s.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Long react when Roosevelt connives to have a fellow expansionist appointed as the next Navy Commodore?
2. Of what does Taft recommend U.S. sponsorship?
3. When Roosevelt takes over as acting secretary, he looks at means of overthrowing who in Cuba and the Philippines?
4. The term ___________________ is used to mean the worldwide assertion of American power for the "good" of other civilizations.
5. After two months at sea, where do the ships reach?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)