|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "All Abord Speeching," Lennon writes to practice daily unless you're what?
2. Whose photo looks down on the scene in "Scene three Act one"?
3. What is the business the father wants to pass on to his son in "Henry and Harry"?
4. "On This Churly Morn" ends with the lines: "Remplenish thou thy cravie / With all that bodes within / Fall gather barge and davie / The ____ within a bin."
5. Who never sleeps at Talk Hall in "Liddypool"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the poem, "Remember Arnold" about? What is the illustration like?
2. What is taking place in the opening of "Scene three Act one"?
3. What takes place in "Nicely Nicely Clive"? Why is it titled as such?
4. What happens in the story "Victor Triumphs Again and Mrs. Weatherby Learns a Lesson"?
5. Describe the scene in "Neville Club." What is this poem about?
6. What is "The Moldy Moldy Man" about? In what person is this poem written?
7. What is the excerpt "A Letter" about?
8. Describe the topic of "All Abord Speeching." What is this selection satirizing?
9. What is the language like in "On this Churly Morn"?
10. What are the major overriding themes which permeate the book? What subjects reappear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two selections "You Might Well Arsk" and "Liddypool." What are these selections referencing? What language does Lennon substitute in each?
Essay Topic 2
What is the subject of "The Fingletoad Resort of Teddiviscious"? What pop-cultural references does Lennon make in this excerpt?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the themes which are prevalent in the works of In His Own Write as a whole. Which themes are the most predominant? What examples illustrate this?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)