|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Dick believes he is spotted for vagrancy, who does he send for to replace him?
2. Where is the hideout that Mac tells Jim about in case either of them is seized?
3. What does Mac wish he could get for Doc Burton?
4. What does Doc Burton say to Mac about Joy's body?
5. Who is shot during the scuffle involving scabs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasoning does Doc Burton give for why he is working so hard for the Party but is not a Party member?
2. Why do Dakin and London send out squads of men at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. Why is Dakin incarcerated for biting a cop?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what kinds of necessities are built on the campsite.
5. What happens towards the end of Chapter 9 that Mac is blamed for?
6. Why does Doc Burton feel sorry for Anderson in Chapter 11?
7. Why does Mac decide against leaving Joy's coffin open during the funeral?
8. How does group man take over in Sam and Jim's group?
9. In Chapter 13, how does the reader see that there is a thin line between the migrant workers and the townspeople during the funeral march?
10. Who is group man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 12 can be characterized almost completely by dry and depressing adjectives and images. How does the chapter begin and end? What images are presented to create this somber, depressing, hopeless tone? Scour through the chapter and pick out specific quotations that show how this tone is expressed by Steinbeck and then construct a well-written essay explaining why you think this chapter is characterized in such a way. What is going on at this point in the novel? Use specific information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Mac claims several times that blood spillage is good for the cause. Is he a sympathetic or unsympathetic character because of this frame of thinking? Why or why not? Support your answer with specific information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Jim's sudden death in Chapter 15 is shocking to the reader, who believes that it is Jim who will take over the cause because of his intelligence and calmness. However, would a living Jim be too dangerous for the cause? Mac once noted that he would hit Jim for being too smart and always right. Could this have been Jim's downfall had he lived and taken over the cause? Prove or disprove this statement with specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)