|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Doc Burton view civil disobedience and strikes?
2. Who disappears in Chapter 13?
3. What does Doc Burton observe about Mac and the way he is around the men?
4. Who do the group of men decide is the next labor leader to die following Joy?
5. To what does Doc Burton compare Jim's feelings toward the cause that offends Jim?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, Doc Burton marvels at the mass of contradictions he notices in Mac, such as having "clear vision and rose-colored glasses." Point out and discuss these contradictions. Where do these contradictions come from specifically in the novel? Are these contradictions valid? Which side is the true Mac? Which side will ultimately prevail? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Mac claims several times that blood spillage is good for the cause. Is he a sympathetic or unsympathetic character because of this frame of thinking? Why or why not? Support your answer with specific information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Steinbeck wrote "In Dubious Battle" during the McCarthy era and was even blacklisted himself. How is this book specifically written for its social context? How does the suspicion of spies, the fear of being blacklisted, and turncoats within the novel resonate with what is going on in Steinbeck's contemporary period? Write an essay describing the parallels between the novel and Steinbeck's life.
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)