|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mac want to bring Joy's body back to the strikers' camp?
2. What does Doc Burton say he is almost out of?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Mac drape over Joy's coffin?
4. Who goes with the group that includes Sam?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what day of the strike is it when the men organize a picket to meet the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mac put Doc Burton in a tent with ten armed guards to protect him?
2. Who is group man?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what kinds of necessities are built on the campsite.
4. Why does Dakin call Mac cold-blooded?
5. Why do Dakin and London send out squads of men at the beginning of Chapter 10?
6. Why does Doc Burton feel sorry for Anderson in Chapter 11?
7. What does Dick agree with Mac on concerning Joy's death?
8. What does Mac want to happen again, similar to Burke's incident, that he believes will push the men forward?
9. What happens after Sam burns Hunter's house as retaliation for the vigilantes burning Anderson's farm.
10. In Chapter 13, how does the reader see that there is a thin line between the migrant workers and the townspeople during the funeral march?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Sam savagely beats up one of the checkers before Jim is shot. Can the reader feel sympathy for the checker and the other side of the battle? Why, or why not? Think about social context, war tactics and the mentality of either side. Can both sides have sympathy from the reader? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is group man? How is it its own character although it is a collective of people? How is group man different from the individual? How does the collective become an additional danger to the outside dangers already present to the men? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Jim is the protagonist and the system is the antagonist. Support this statement with specific examples from the text that show this contrast and the nature of the relationship between the two.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)