|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image ends Chapter 11?
2. What is delivered by truck to the camp?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Mac drape over Joy's coffin?
4. What does Mac want to do for retaliation against what is set on fire?
5. Who leaves the camp to go sleep in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Jim tells a group of men about Joy being a kind of labor leader, what do they say in return?
2. Why is Dakin incarcerated for biting a cop?
3. Why does Doc Burton make the remark about shooting Mac if he were the boss of the other side?
4. What reasoning does Doc Burton give for why he is working so hard for the Party but is not a Party member?
5. Why does Mac decide against leaving Joy's coffin open during the funeral?
6. Why does Dakin call Mac cold-blooded?
7. What does the paper say about the strikers at the beginning of Chapter 14?
8. Why is Dan appearing to be losing his mind when Jim goes to speak with him?
9. What does Sam brag about to Jim when they go out in a group together?
10. Why does Doc Burton feel sorry for Anderson in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence plays a key role throughout "In Dubious Battle." Both sides of the strike employ violence, sometimes differently but, towards the end of the novel, quite similarly. Describe how both sides of the fight use violence and how their use of violence ultimately amounts to little. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 1 and 2 the reader learns more about the Party, who the members are, and what the organization is like. Use information from the first two chapters to discuss what clues are given to show the grassroots of the men in the Party, their social status, their education, and the level of their organization. How does the information help shape the reader's thoughts about the Party?
Essay Topic 3
When a rubber band is stretched, it reaches a point where it is stretched as far as it can go and can snap. Chapter 13 is the heightened action that Steinbeck uses all of the previous chapters to work towards. Winning or losing the strike will all depend on the actions of the following day in Chapter 14. Liken Chapter 13 to that of the stretched rubber band analogy and Chapter 14 as what will happen to the rubber band.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)