|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Doc Burton view civil disobedience and strikes?
2. At what time does Mac plan the funeral march to match the highest traffic time?
3. Why does Mac want to bring Joy's body back to the strikers' camp?
4. Who do the group of men accuse of collecting money from Moscow?
5. What does Mac hope will happen once again, the same as with Burke, to incite the men to fight?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, Doc Burton marvels at the mass of contradictions he notices in Mac, such as having "clear vision and rose-colored glasses." Point out and discuss these contradictions. Where do these contradictions come from specifically in the novel? Are these contradictions valid? Which side is the true Mac? Which side will ultimately prevail? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jim's sudden death in Chapter 15 is shocking to the reader, who believes that it is Jim who will take over the cause because of his intelligence and calmness. However, would a living Jim be too dangerous for the cause? Mac once noted that he would hit Jim for being too smart and always right. Could this have been Jim's downfall had he lived and taken over the cause? Prove or disprove this statement with specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Jim is the protagonist and the system is the antagonist. Support this statement with specific examples from the text that show this contrast and the nature of the relationship between the two.
This section contains 1,415 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)