Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Doc Burton view civil disobedience and strikes?
2. At what time does Mac plan the funeral march to match the highest traffic time?
3. Why does Mac want to bring Joy's body back to the strikers' camp?
4. Who do the group of men accuse of collecting money from Moscow?
5. What does Mac hope will happen once again, the same as with Burke, to incite the men to fight?
Essay Topic 1
London and Mac both assume leadership roles among the men throughout the novel. Who is truly the better choice? Why? What attributes do these two men have that are advantages for a leader and disadvantages for a leader? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jim and Doc Burton discuss religion in Chapter 11. Jim's devotion to the cause is almost a religious devotion which Doc Burton points out; however Jim recoils at the idea of religion. How are these two characters similar yet different? How does this conversation shed light on those similarities and differences? Write an essay that compares and contrasts Doc Burton and Jim, using the conversation in Chapter 11 as the anchor for the argument.
Essay Topic 3
Is Dakin a likable character? Can the reader trust him? What sets him apart from the other men? What is it about Dakin that the reader is not fully convinced about? Write an essay that supports these claims and also shows how these suspicions about Dakin can foreshadow his eventual downfall.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)