|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what is the incident that Mac claims will enrage the men?
2. Where does the paper accuse the strikers of coming from?
3. Who is elected squad leader?
4. What does Doc claim he would do if he were the boss of the other side?
5. Who does Bolter accuse Mac of being sent by?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Jim tells a group of men about Joy being a kind of labor leader, what do they say in return?
2. What does Dick agree with Mac on concerning Joy's death?
3. How does group man take over in Sam and Jim's group?
4. To whom does Jim attribute his cool demeanor when London praises him for it?
5. What happens after Sam burns Hunter's house as retaliation for the vigilantes burning Anderson's farm.
6. What does Mac warn Bolter about when Bolter accuses him of being sent by Red headquarters?
7. What happens towards the end of Chapter 9 that Mac is blamed for?
8. Why does Doc Burton make the remark about shooting Mac if he were the boss of the other side?
9. In Chapter 13, how does the reader see that there is a thin line between the migrant workers and the townspeople during the funeral march?
10. What reasoning does Doc Burton give for why he is working so hard for the Party but is not a Party member?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence plays a key role throughout "In Dubious Battle." Both sides of the strike employ violence, sometimes differently but, towards the end of the novel, quite similarly. Describe how both sides of the fight use violence and how their use of violence ultimately amounts to little. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jim is the protagonist and the system is the antagonist. Support this statement with specific examples from the text that show this contrast and the nature of the relationship between the two.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "In Dubious Battle," chapters are ended with either sounds or images that are significant to foreshadowing what will come. Pick one sound or image from one of the chapters and discuss at length how and why that image or sound is significant to the narrative. How does it end the chapter? What is the sound or image's context? Why that sound or image? How does the sound or image foreshadow the ensuing chapters? Use specific information from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)