|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jim elude the cops after he and Mac go to talk to the deputies?
2. Why does Doc Burton think Dan is upset?
3. How much does Bolter, the new president of the fruit Growers' Association, offer to raise the wages of the strikers?
4. Where is the hideout that Mac tells Jim about in case either of them is seized?
5. How does Mac explain vigilantes to Jim; what are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what kinds of necessities are built on the campsite.
2. Why does Mac decide against leaving Joy's coffin open during the funeral?
3. What is the big mistake Mac claims that the vigilantes made in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Mac put Doc Burton in a tent with ten armed guards to protect him?
5. Why do Dakin and London send out squads of men at the beginning of Chapter 10?
6. What does Dick agree with Mac on concerning Joy's death?
7. What does Doc Burton admire about Mac's speech during Joy's funeral?
8. Why does Doc Burton make the remark about shooting Mac if he were the boss of the other side?
9. Why does Dakin call Mac cold-blooded?
10. After Jim tells a group of men about Joy being a kind of labor leader, what do they say in return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mac claims several times that blood spillage is good for the cause. Is he a sympathetic or unsympathetic character because of this frame of thinking? Why or why not? Support your answer with specific information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "In Dubious Battle," chapters are ended with either sounds or images that are significant to foreshadowing what will come. Pick one sound or image from one of the chapters and discuss at length how and why that image or sound is significant to the narrative. How does it end the chapter? What is the sound or image's context? Why that sound or image? How does the sound or image foreshadow the ensuing chapters? Use specific information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Anderson's barn is burned in Chapter 13, which creates a turning point within the narrative. Mac warned earlier on in the novel that if the Anderson's farm was touched, the entire Valley will burn. How does this prediction come to fruition? How is the barn the turning point in the novel as predicted? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)