|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jim elude the cops after he and Mac go to talk to the deputies?
2. What does Doc claim he would do if he were the boss of the other side?
3. What does Mac claim the men will feel even if they lose the fight?
4. What does Mac wish he could get for Doc Burton?
5. How much does Bolter, the new president of the fruit Growers' Association, offer to raise the wages of the strikers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When a rubber band is stretched, it reaches a point where it is stretched as far as it can go and can snap. Chapter 13 is the heightened action that Steinbeck uses all of the previous chapters to work towards. Winning or losing the strike will all depend on the actions of the following day in Chapter 14. Liken Chapter 13 to that of the stretched rubber band analogy and Chapter 14 as what will happen to the rubber band.
Essay Topic 2
London and Mac both assume leadership roles among the men throughout the novel. Who is truly the better choice? Why? What attributes do these two men have that are advantages for a leader and disadvantages for a leader? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mac states that he uses whatever materials are at hand to accomplish a goal. How does the birthing scene in Chapter 4 exemplify this statement he makes? What is his main goal and how is the birthing scene a foreshadowing of what is to come? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)