|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac believe will help get the people on their side in light of Joy's death?
2. To what does Doc Burton compare Jim's feelings toward the cause that offends Jim?
3. What does Lisa observe about Dan when she visits him in his tent?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what does Mac have the men doing at the camp before the strikers arrive?
5. What does Mac notice as strange when he looks up at the watchers on the nearby buildings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Dakin and London send out squads of men at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 13, how does the reader see that there is a thin line between the migrant workers and the townspeople during the funeral march?
3. Why does Doc Burton make the remark about shooting Mac if he were the boss of the other side?
4. What does Mac warn Bolter about when Bolter accuses him of being sent by Red headquarters?
5. What does the paper say about the strikers at the beginning of Chapter 14?
6. Why does Mac put Doc Burton in a tent with ten armed guards to protect him?
7. What does Mac want to happen again, similar to Burke's incident, that he believes will push the men forward?
8. Why does Mac decide against leaving Joy's coffin open during the funeral?
9. What happens to London when an outside agitator tries to turn the crowd against him?
10. Why does Dakin call Mac cold-blooded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim and Doc Burton discuss religion in Chapter 11. Jim's devotion to the cause is almost a religious devotion which Doc Burton points out; however Jim recoils at the idea of religion. How are these two characters similar yet different? How does this conversation shed light on those similarities and differences? Write an essay that compares and contrasts Doc Burton and Jim, using the conversation in Chapter 11 as the anchor for the argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "In Dubious Battle," chapters are ended with either sounds or images that are significant to foreshadowing what will come. Pick one sound or image from one of the chapters and discuss at length how and why that image or sound is significant to the narrative. How does it end the chapter? What is the sound or image's context? Why that sound or image? How does the sound or image foreshadow the ensuing chapters? Use specific information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Is Dakin a likable character? Can the reader trust him? What sets him apart from the other men? What is it about Dakin that the reader is not fully convinced about? Write an essay that supports these claims and also shows how these suspicions about Dakin can foreshadow his eventual downfall.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)