|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim pass out to a group of men?
2. Who do the group of men accuse of collecting money from Moscow?
3. What does Mac tell Jim about winning the strike and the cause?
4. Why does Mac think he should put Joy on public display during the funeral march?
5. What does Mac claim the men will feel even if they lose the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Doc Burton make the remark about shooting Mac if he were the boss of the other side?
2. What does the paper say about the strikers at the beginning of Chapter 14?
3. Who is group man?
4. What happens after Sam burns Hunter's house as retaliation for the vigilantes burning Anderson's farm.
5. Why do Dakin and London send out squads of men at the beginning of Chapter 10?
6. Why does Mac decide against leaving Joy's coffin open during the funeral?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what kinds of necessities are built on the campsite.
8. What does the false headline in the paper claim that infuriates Mac?
9. Why is Dan appearing to be losing his mind when Jim goes to speak with him?
10. What does Sam brag about to Jim when they go out in a group together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence plays a key role throughout "In Dubious Battle." Both sides of the strike employ violence, sometimes differently but, towards the end of the novel, quite similarly. Describe how both sides of the fight use violence and how their use of violence ultimately amounts to little. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "In Dubious Battle," chapters are ended with either sounds or images that are significant to foreshadowing what will come. Pick one sound or image from one of the chapters and discuss at length how and why that image or sound is significant to the narrative. How does it end the chapter? What is the sound or image's context? Why that sound or image? How does the sound or image foreshadow the ensuing chapters? Use specific information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11, Doc Burton marvels at the mass of contradictions he notices in Mac, such as having "clear vision and rose-colored glasses." Point out and discuss these contradictions. Where do these contradictions come from specifically in the novel? Are these contradictions valid? Which side is the true Mac? Which side will ultimately prevail? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)