|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Jim tell Harry that he was jailed for a vagrancy charge?
2. Why are prices inflated at the company store?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
4. What does Mac say that Dick is within the Party?
5. What does Harry do to show that he is considering Jim for Party membership?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim think his mother died?
2. In Chapter 4, how is Mac's claim that the man who tries to scare you is usually scared of you an analogy to the strike?
3. Why does Mac have the clothes burned after helping Lisa give birth?
4. What are the sounds playing at the end of Chapter 6?
5. Why is Joy incarcerated in Chapter 3?
6. Why does Jim not mind the hard work and life of Party members that Harry explains to him?
7. Why was Jim put in jail before coming to Harry?
8. What does Jim point out to Dakin when he says that he will pick cotton when all of the apples are picked?
9. What is the specific situation that occurred that Mac recounts as the reason for why Joy is "screwy."
10. Why does Mac want to make sure that Doc Burton has no legal or civil problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
London and Mac both assume leadership roles among the men throughout the novel. Who is truly the better choice? Why? What attributes do these two men have that are advantages for a leader and disadvantages for a leader? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jim directs the sacrifice of the cows in Chapter 13. How does this sacrifice and the total transformation of the men into group man reinforce one another? Why and how does the sacrifice reinforce group man within the narrative? How has the tone among the men and within the camp transformed into something different at this point? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 12 can be characterized almost completely by dry and depressing adjectives and images. How does the chapter begin and end? What images are presented to create this somber, depressing, hopeless tone? Scour through the chapter and pick out specific quotations that show how this tone is expressed by Steinbeck and then construct a well-written essay explaining why you think this chapter is characterized in such a way. What is going on at this point in the novel? Use specific information from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)