Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim want to join the Party?
2. What group of people does Dan reminisce about to Jim and Mac?
3. What does Jim see as the similarity between his father and Joy?
4. What does Mac say is needed on the strikers' camping site in order to keep the camp legal?
5. Who does the orchard superintendent remind London is the judge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does group man take over in Sam and Jim's group?
2. Why does Mac want to make sure that Doc Burton has no legal or civil problems?
3. Why does Dakin call Mac cold-blooded?
4. How does Mac convince Anderson to let them use his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Old Dan predict happening with the group of strikers in Torgas Valley? What does he mean by "water heaving before the boil"?
6. Why does Mac have the clothes burned after helping Lisa give birth?
7. After Jim tells a group of men about Joy being a kind of labor leader, what do they say in return?
8. Why does Al use his business and his father's land to explain why he does not want to join the cause?
9. Why does Mac decide against leaving Joy's coffin open during the funeral?
10. What does the orchard superintendent tell London to do?
Essay Topic 1
Jim is the protagonist and the system is the antagonist. Support this statement with specific examples from the text that show this contrast and the nature of the relationship between the two.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "In Dubious Battle," chapters are ended with either sounds or images that are significant to foreshadowing what will come. Pick one sound or image from one of the chapters and discuss at length how and why that image or sound is significant to the narrative. How does it end the chapter? What is the sound or image's context? Why that sound or image? How does the sound or image foreshadow the ensuing chapters? Use specific information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mac states that he uses whatever materials are at hand to accomplish a goal. How does the birthing scene in Chapter 4 exemplify this statement he makes? What is his main goal and how is the birthing scene a foreshadowing of what is to come? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)