|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mysterious story from his childhood does Jim reminisce about in the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. What names does London use to refer to Jim and Mac at the end of Chapter 5 when speaking with Dakin?
3. What group of people does Dan reminisce about to Jim and Mac?
4. What story does Joy recount to explain why his hands are crushed?
5. What does Mac tell Doc Burton about the strike situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the orchard superintendent tell London to do?
2. Why is Dakin afraid of being involved in the strike?
3. Why does Mac have the clothes burned after helping Lisa give birth?
4. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
5. How does Mac convince Anderson to let them use his land as a camping ground for the strikers?
6. What does Jim point out to Dakin when he says that he will pick cotton when all of the apples are picked?
7. Why does Jim think his mother died?
8. Why, according to Mac at the end of Chapter 7, will the whole valley burn if Anderson's farm is touched?
9. What is the situation in Torgas Valley with the Growers' Association and the pickers?
10. In Chapter 5, what does Old Dan predict happening with the group of strikers in Torgas Valley? What does he mean by "water heaving before the boil"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim is the protagonist and the system is the antagonist. Support this statement with specific examples from the text that show this contrast and the nature of the relationship between the two.
Essay Topic 2
"Men with stomachs" is a phrase mentioned several times in the narrative. What does this phrase mean and what is its significance to the narrative? Who does it include and why is it such a fragile, yet volatile phrase? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mac states that he uses whatever materials are at hand to accomplish a goal. How does the birthing scene in Chapter 4 exemplify this statement he makes? What is his main goal and how is the birthing scene a foreshadowing of what is to come? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)