|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Dan's occupation before becoming a migrant crop worker?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Jim believe Mac will spend the twenty dollars on that Dick brings home?
3. What does Mac tell Dick to do to raise bail for Joy?
4. What does Mac say has just happened to the pickers in Torgas Valley that could help incite a riot?
5. What group of people does Dan reminisce about to Jim and Mac?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why does the checker offer Jim money in exchange for information? What information?
2. How does Mac use the analogy of running new hunting dogs with old timers with Jim?
3. Why does Al use his business and his father's land to explain why he does not want to join the cause?
4. What reason does Jim give Harry wanting to join the Party?
5. Why was Jim put in jail before coming to Harry?
6. What does the orchard superintendent tell London to do?
7. Why does Mac have the clothes burned after helping Lisa give birth?
8. In Chapter 7, why does Mac need Doc Burton to come and stay on the campsite with the strikers?
9. Why does Jim think his mother died?
10. What is the situation in Torgas Valley with the Growers' Association and the pickers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim's sudden death in Chapter 15 is shocking to the reader, who believes that it is Jim who will take over the cause because of his intelligence and calmness. However, would a living Jim be too dangerous for the cause? Mac once noted that he would hit Jim for being too smart and always right. Could this have been Jim's downfall had he lived and taken over the cause? Prove or disprove this statement with specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Is Dakin a likable character? Can the reader trust him? What sets him apart from the other men? What is it about Dakin that the reader is not fully convinced about? Write an essay that supports these claims and also shows how these suspicions about Dakin can foreshadow his eventual downfall.
Essay Topic 3
What is group man? How is it its own character although it is a collective of people? How is group man different from the individual? How does the collective become an additional danger to the outside dangers already present to the men? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)