|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac admit to feeling good about at the end of Chapter 4?
2. What is projected that the county will do if the strikers begin to picket?
3. What are Jim and Mac doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What does Harry do to show that he is considering Jim for Party membership?
5. What does Mac tell Dick to do to raise bail for Joy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why does Mac need Doc Burton to come and stay on the campsite with the strikers?
2. Why does Mac say that if Lisa had died the birthing experience would still have been worthwhile?
3. Why does Jim think his mother died?
4. What reason does Jim give Harry wanting to join the Party?
5. Why does Mac want to make sure that Doc Burton has no legal or civil problems?
6. How does Mac explain the process of a strike to Jim?
7. In Chapter 2, Jim reminisces about mysterious happenings during his childhood; how did this, according to Jim, affect his mother?
8. Why, according to Mac at the end of Chapter 7, will the whole valley burn if Anderson's farm is touched?
9. In Chapter 4, how is Mac's claim that the man who tries to scare you is usually scared of you an analogy to the strike?
10. Why is Joy incarcerated in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim directs the sacrifice of the cows in Chapter 13. How does this sacrifice and the total transformation of the men into group man reinforce one another? Why and how does the sacrifice reinforce group man within the narrative? How has the tone among the men and within the camp transformed into something different at this point? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Mac claims several times that blood spillage is good for the cause. Is he a sympathetic or unsympathetic character because of this frame of thinking? Why or why not? Support your answer with specific information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Mac states that he uses whatever materials are at hand to accomplish a goal. How does the birthing scene in Chapter 4 exemplify this statement he makes? What is his main goal and how is the birthing scene a foreshadowing of what is to come? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)