|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mac think he should put Joy on public display during the funeral march?
(a) For dramatics.
(b) To fire up the men.
(c) To make non-Party members feel bad.
(d) To drum up sympathizers.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how does Dick get the cows, the bull calf, and the lima beans?
(a) He romances an old lady.
(b) He bribes a farmer.
(c) He robs a bank.
(d) He raises funds from numerous sympathizers.
3. What does Mac think about Doc Burton in terms of his beliefs?
(a) He is too narrow minded.
(b) He is not convicted enough to his beliefs.
(c) He is too far left.
(d) He does not know enough about the Party.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 14, what does the paper Mac picks up falsely accuse the strikers of?
(a) Destroying Joy's body.
(b) Holding people hostage.
(c) Assassinating non-Party members.
(d) Committing all acts of violence.
5. Who is shot during the scuffle involving scabs?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doc Burton say he is almost out of?
2. Why is Dan seeming to lose his mind, according to Doc Burton?
3. At the end of Chapter 12, who takes over during London's speech as he stumbles over his words?
4. Why does Mac decide against putting Joy on public display during the funeral march?
5. What is in London's tent when he invites Mac and Jim inside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mac decide against leaving Joy's coffin open during the funeral?
2. What does Dick agree with Mac on concerning Joy's death?
3. Why does Mac put Doc Burton in a tent with ten armed guards to protect him?
4. To whom does Jim attribute his cool demeanor when London praises him for it?
5. In Chapter 13, how does the reader see that there is a thin line between the migrant workers and the townspeople during the funeral march?
6. Why does Doc Burton make the remark about shooting Mac if he were the boss of the other side?
7. What happens towards the end of Chapter 9 that Mac is blamed for?
8. What does Doc Burton admire about Mac's speech during Joy's funeral?
9. What does Mac want to happen again, similar to Burke's incident, that he believes will push the men forward?
10. What does Sam brag about to Jim when they go out in a group together?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)