|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doc Burton observe about Mac and the way he is around the men?
(a) He changes constantly.
(b) He contradicts himself all the time.
(c) He is not consistent with his lectures.
(d) He always sounds like his audience.
2. What does Mac hope will happen once again, the same as with Burke, to incite the men to fight?
(a) Dying for the cause.
(b) Spilling a little blood.
(c) Rebelling against the cause.
(d) Becoming a turncoat.
3. How much does Bolter, the new president of the fruit Growers' Association, offer to raise the wages of the strikers?
(a) A nickel.
(b) A dime.
(c) A dollar.
(d) A dollar fifty.
4. What does Mac tell Jim about winning the strike and the cause?
(a) They are only doing it for show.
(b) Winning is all that matters.
(c) Winning is not all they are after.
(d) They do not care about winning.
5. Why does Mac want to bring Joy's body back to the strikers' camp?
(a) To keep the men together.
(b) To keep Joy's body from the non-Party members.
(c) To remove the bullets out commemorative decoration.
(d) To cremate his body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is delivered by truck to the camp?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 10, how do the men feel in the morning following Joy's death?
3. Who leaves the camp to go sleep in the hospital?
4. What does Doc Burton say he is almost out of?
5. Who has left the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mac warn Bolter about when Bolter accuses him of being sent by Red headquarters?
2. Why do Dakin and London send out squads of men at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. What happens after Sam burns Hunter's house as retaliation for the vigilantes burning Anderson's farm.
4. Why does Doc Burton make the remark about shooting Mac if he were the boss of the other side?
5. What does Doc Burton admire about Mac's speech during Joy's funeral?
6. What does Dick agree with Mac on concerning Joy's death?
7. In Chapter 13, how does the reader see that there is a thin line between the migrant workers and the townspeople during the funeral march?
8. Why is Dan appearing to be losing his mind when Jim goes to speak with him?
9. What does the paper say about the strikers at the beginning of Chapter 14?
10. What reasoning does Doc Burton give for why he is working so hard for the Party but is not a Party member?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)