|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 10, what historical battle does Jim tell Mac to calm his worries?
(a) Battle of Salamis.
(b) Battle of Iwo Jima.
(c) Battle of Marathon.
(d) Battle of Thermopylae.
2. Where does Mac send Sam after he has killed his captor and escaped?
(a) To a hideout and a sympathizer.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To the next outbound train.
(d) To the Valley headquarters.
3. What name does the paper call the pickers?
(a) Cotton deviants.
(b) Fruit tramps.
(c) Dirty vagabonds.
4. How does Doc Burton view civil disobedience and strikes?
(a) As a relief.
(b) As an infection.
(c) As necessary.
(d) As poison.
5. After Dick believes he is spotted for vagrancy, who does he send for to replace him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who directs the sacrifice of the cows?
2. What is delivered by truck to the camp?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what day of the strike is it when the men organize a picket to meet the train?
4. Where does the paper accuse the strikers of coming from?
5. Why does Mac want to bring Joy's body back to the strikers' camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Doc Burton make the remark about shooting Mac if he were the boss of the other side?
2. What does Mac want to happen again, similar to Burke's incident, that he believes will push the men forward?
3. What reasoning does Doc Burton give for why he is working so hard for the Party but is not a Party member?
4. Why does Doc Burton feel sorry for Anderson in Chapter 11?
5. What does the paper say about the strikers at the beginning of Chapter 14?
6. What happens towards the end of Chapter 9 that Mac is blamed for?
7. After Jim tells a group of men about Joy being a kind of labor leader, what do they say in return?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what kinds of necessities are built on the campsite.
9. How does Joy's death in Chapter 9 solidify the men in their cause?
10. What does Dick agree with Mac on concerning Joy's death?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)