|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Doc Burton think Dan is upset?
(a) Dan is not able to say goodbye to Joy.
(b) Dan is not able to walk well.
(c) Dan's hip is not healing.
(d) Dan is not able to go to the funeral.
2. What does London do to an outside agitator that tries to get the crowd to attack him?
(a) He shatters the man's jaw.
(b) He shoots him.
(c) He denounces him as a scab.
(d) He turns the crowd on him.
3. How does Mac explain vigilantes to Jim; what are they?
(a) Guys who like to hurt people.
(c) Men who are bored.
(d) Men without direction.
4. Where is the hideout that Mac tells Jim about in case either of them is seized?
(a) Under a bridge.
(b) In an abandoned building.
(c) On a train.
(d) On a boat.
5. At what time does Mac plan the funeral march to match the highest traffic time?
(a) 12 p.m.
(b) 6 a.m.
(c) 9 a.m.
(d) 5 p.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what does Mac have the men doing at the camp before the strikers arrive?
2. What does Doc Burton say to Mac about Joy's body?
3. How many men does it take to pick and clear Anderson's crop?
4. After Dick believes he is spotted for vagrancy, who does he send for to replace him?
5. What does London suggest that Mac do for Joy's funeral in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Sam burns Hunter's house as retaliation for the vigilantes burning Anderson's farm.
2. What does Sam brag about to Jim when they go out in a group together?
3. Why is Dan appearing to be losing his mind when Jim goes to speak with him?
4. What happens to London when an outside agitator tries to turn the crowd against him?
5. What does the paper say about the strikers at the beginning of Chapter 14?
6. What does Mac want to happen again, similar to Burke's incident, that he believes will push the men forward?
7. Why does Doc Burton feel sorry for Anderson in Chapter 11?
8. Why does Mac decide against leaving Joy's coffin open during the funeral?
9. What happens towards the end of Chapter 9 that Mac is blamed for?
10. Why does Mac put Doc Burton in a tent with ten armed guards to protect him?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)