|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam claim to be blacklisted as?
(a) A sympathizer.
(b) An assassin.
(c) A turncoat.
(d) A longshoreman.
2. Why does Mac decide against putting Joy on public display during the funeral march?
(a) Joy looks too peaceful.
(b) Mac does not want anyone shooting at it.
(c) Mac is scared of the repercussions.
(d) Mac does not want the body to be ruined.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 14, what does the paper Mac picks up falsely accuse the strikers of?
(a) Destroying Joy's body.
(b) Holding people hostage.
(c) Assassinating non-Party members.
(d) Committing all acts of violence.
4. Why is Dan seeming to lose his mind, according to Doc Burton?
(a) He took pills.
(b) He ate bad meat.
(c) He has not eaten.
(d) He is constipated.
5. Who does Bolter accuse Mac of being sent by?
(a) Communist leaders.
(b) Red headquarters
(c) Non-Party members.
(d) Russian intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 10, how do the men feel in the morning following Joy's death?
2. To whom does Mac write a letter asking for help?
3. What name does the paper call the pickers?
4. Who accuses Mac of being insensitive and cold-blooded after Mac says he wants to take Joy's body back to camp?
5. What is delivered by truck to the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dakin incarcerated for biting a cop?
2. In Chapter 13, how does the reader see that there is a thin line between the migrant workers and the townspeople during the funeral march?
3. Why is Dan appearing to be losing his mind when Jim goes to speak with him?
4. What does Sam brag about to Jim when they go out in a group together?
5. What does Mac want to happen again, similar to Burke's incident, that he believes will push the men forward?
6. Why does Dakin call Mac cold-blooded?
7. What does the paper say about the strikers at the beginning of Chapter 14?
8. After Jim tells a group of men about Joy being a kind of labor leader, what do they say in return?
9. What does Doc Burton admire about Mac's speech during Joy's funeral?
10. What reasoning does Doc Burton give for why he is working so hard for the Party but is not a Party member?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)