|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mac notice as strange when he looks up at the watchers on the nearby buildings?
(a) They are armed.
(b) There are no women.
(c) They are crying.
(d) They are not armed.
2. Who disappears in Chapter 13?
(b) Doc Burton.
3. Why does Mac think he should put Joy on public display during the funeral march?
(a) To drum up sympathizers.
(b) To make non-Party members feel bad.
(c) To fire up the men.
(d) For dramatics.
4. What does Mac wish he could get for Doc Burton?
(a) More disinfectant.
(b) More armed guards.
(c) A woman.
5. What image ends Chapter 11?
(a) A candle going out.
(b) Flickering flames.
(c) An owl in the night,
(d) London's nephew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac believe will help get the people on their side in light of Joy's death?
2. At the end of Chapter 10, who is beaten up by the vigilantes?
3. What name does the paper call the pickers?
4. How much does Bolter, the new president of the fruit Growers' Association, offer to raise the wages of the strikers?
5. From whom does Jim claim he got his calm and cool demeanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to London when an outside agitator tries to turn the crowd against him?
2. Why does Doc Burton make the remark about shooting Mac if he were the boss of the other side?
3. Why do Dakin and London send out squads of men at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. After Jim tells a group of men about Joy being a kind of labor leader, what do they say in return?
5. What does Doc Burton admire about Mac's speech during Joy's funeral?
6. What does the paper say about the strikers at the beginning of Chapter 14?
7. What does Mac want to happen again, similar to Burke's incident, that he believes will push the men forward?
8. In Chapter 13, how does the reader see that there is a thin line between the migrant workers and the townspeople during the funeral march?
9. Why does Doc Burton feel sorry for Anderson in Chapter 11?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what kinds of necessities are built on the campsite.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)